Windows 10: Motherboard failure

Discus and support Motherboard failure in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I believe my mobo celebrated the 4th of July last night. It just shut off and I smelled something burning. I let it sit overnight and then it turned on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by gettheclicker, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Motherboard failure

I believe my mobo celebrated the 4th of July last night. It just shut off and I smelled something burning. I let it sit overnight and then it turned on but didn't boot. Holding the power button didn't turn it off. Had to flip the psu switch. I swapped the cpu and it booted perfectly. Then only a quarter of my ram is usable though it is all registered. I swapped slots and sticks. It only booted for one slot no matter what stick i used. After 10 mins or so it shut off and smelled again. At one point I did see a spark by the board's upper left heatsink which was hot enough to light a cigarette.

Then board is, or was, an MSI 970A G46. Cpu that was in it at failure was an AMD FX 9370. Watercooled by a corsair H150i pro using 3 120mm mining fans but they were only set to 3000 rpm not the full 7500.

My question is if I buy a board that is fully capable of handling the 9370, will i be alright?

:)

gettheclicker, Aug 31, 2019

2. Choice of memory and motherboard... a bit stuck...

No one who got some suggestions on this one, huh?

I've found out that the Asus M3A78-T needs to be flashed, so then that motherboard is excluded from my list. Which motherboard and memory should I then go for? Any suggestions?

minstreless, Aug 31, 2019
  3. Motherboard failure

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

If its a retail license, learn how to reactivate:

Andre Da Costa, Aug 31, 2019
  4. Motherboard failure

Windows 10 and upgrading motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa (replied
    on July 26, 2015) in the following thread:

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Aug 31, 2019
Thema:

Motherboard failure

1. Motherboard failure - Similar Threads - Motherboard failure

2. Driver Power State Failure on Windows 11 after Motherboard change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Driver Power State Failure on Windows 11 after Motherboard change: After swapping motherboards without issue, I'm now frequently running into problems with my computer BSOD'ing with "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE". Specs:Device name SAPPHIRE Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core Processor 4.50 GHz Installed RAM 64.0 GB 63.2 GB usable System type...
  3. Driver Power State Failure on Windows 11 after Motherboard change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Driver Power State Failure on Windows 11 after Motherboard change: After swapping motherboards without issue, I'm now frequently running into problems with my computer BSOD'ing with "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE". Specs:Device name SAPPHIRE Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core Processor 4.50 GHz Installed RAM 64.0 GB 63.2 GB usable System type...
  4. Motherboard failure - can I swap the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Motherboard failure - can I swap the hard drive?: Hi. I have 2 identical if old Dell Zino 400 computers, one kept as a spare/back up; both run Windows 10.The one I normally use has been upgraded with SSD, CPU upgrade and more memory, and has all my programs inc MS Office on it. Unfortunately the motherboard appears to have...
  5. Motherboard failure - can I swap the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Motherboard failure - can I swap the hard drive?: Hi. I have 2 identical if old Dell Zino 400 computers, one kept as a spare/back up; both run Windows 10.The one I normally use has been upgraded with SSD, CPU upgrade and more memory, and has all my programs inc MS Office on it. Unfortunately the motherboard appears to have...
  6. Motherboard failure - can I swap the hard drive?

7. Activation of Windows 10 Pro after motherboard failure and replacement

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation of Windows 10 Pro after motherboard failure and replacement: I am the original owner of an Intel PC that I purchased off Amazon with a fully activated version of Windows 10 Pro OEM. My computer died completely and Intel sent me a new motherboard but it will not accept the Product Key any longer. Do I really have to buy a new version of...
  8. Activation of Windows 10 Pro after motherboard failure and replacement

Activation of Windows 10 Pro after motherboard failure and replacement: I am the original owner of an Intel PC that I purchased off Amazon with a fully activated version of Windows 10 Pro OEM. My computer died completely and Intel sent me a new motherboard but it will not accept the Product Key any longer. Do I really have to buy a new version of...
  9. Activation of Windows 10 Pro after motherboard failure and replacement

10. Following a motherboard hardware failure...

Following a motherboard hardware failure...: Following a motherboard hardware failure i need to get the license key for my windows 10 pro but am unable to as the motherboard is completely inoperable.Am unsure how to proceed....