Windows 10: Motherboard power stage is fried: Can I still transfer my WIN 10 Pro?

Discus and support Motherboard power stage is fried: Can I still transfer my WIN 10 Pro? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So, My Laptop power stage got fried last night and now I am stuck with a dead PC, and no access to be able to deactivate the product key on the old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Geoff Daniell, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Motherboard power stage is fried: Can I still transfer my WIN 10 Pro?

So, My Laptop power stage got fried last night and now I am stuck with a dead PC, and no access to be able to deactivate the product key on the old laptop.
    How do I go about transferring the win 10 Pro to another laptop please?

:)

Geoff Daniell, Dec 1, 2018
  2. ceck3 Win User

Activating Win 10 after replacing Motherboard

I recently had to replace a motherboard on a Lenovo ThinkCentre due to a blown power supply. After recovering, Windows was not activated and I can't use the troubleshooter to remediate. This system was shipped with Win 7 Pro and upgraded to Win 10 during
    the free promotion offer.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to get Win 10 reactivated in this scenario?

Also any thoughts on why Win 10 doesn't recognize the DVD or USB ports in File Explorer?

ceck3, Dec 1, 2018
  3. Reloading - retrieving my installed WIN 10 PRO

Thanks for the quick and detail response. Just to make sure I understand your procedure, here are the steps I will do:

1. Download Win10586PESE-x64 v16.07.07 (new) ISO and burn to a DVD.

2. Place DVD in computer and power ON boot from DVD
    3. Run Macrium Reflect. Under the restore menu will be a utility to fix Windows startup problems. Try that utility to see if that restores booting to Windows 10
    4. When Windows startup utility finishes, remove DVD and power OFF computer
    5. Power ON and see if WIN 10 boots.
    6. If WIN 10 boots, check for normal operation, etc.
    7. If WIN 10 does not boot; re-install full WIN 7 disk image.
    8. Download and save Windows 10 ISO file tofolder on C:\ drive
    9. Down load and save:WinISO file on C:\ drive.
    10. Run and install WinISO according to http://www.winiso.com/support/tutorials/mount-iso-in-windows7.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">
      [*]Run WinISO, open the Windows 10 ISO file stored on C:\. I assume there will be some type of BROWSE menu so you can select the Windows 10 ISO file?
      [*] Click "Mount" and a file menu of the files in the Windows 10 ISO file will appear.
      [*]Double click to Run setup.exe.from the WINDOWS 10 ISO file menu
      [*]This should upgrade your Windows 7 to Windows 10 - This same procedure as the “Free” upgrade from WIN 7 PRO to WIN 10 PRO. When finished WIN 10 PRO will be installed and ALL WIN 7 PRO program files, drivers, printers and data files from WIN 7 PRO will be available for use. To be explicit this is an install of WIN 10 PRO and a “TRANSFER/ UPGRADE of WIN 7 PRO program files, drivers, printers and data files. This is NOT a CLEAN INSTALL of WIN 10 PRO

JUST WANT TO MAKE MAKE SURE I UNDERSTAND THE EXPECTED RESULTS

1. The newly created WIN 10 PRO install should activate based upon your previously activated upgrade. I assume the setup program will access some Microsoft data base and find my previous activation?

Please excuse the long list, but I find it better to ask questions now, rather than try to unwind some misunderstanding later.

I do appreciate your time and support!

Thanks

krazykat tenf, Dec 1, 2018
  4. Motherboard power stage is fried: Can I still transfer my WIN 10 Pro?

Activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I built the PC myself and it is\was a retail Windows 8 Pro license upgraded to 10.

The guide listed that I should be able to transfer the license, and following the steps given when selecting "I recently changed hardware" in the activation process it does not list my previous device to select from.

My Microsoft account is logged in on both my old and new motherboard, and my old motherboard is unable to boot at all to deactivate or retrieve any keys.

If my license is indeed available for transfer, how can I proceed from here?

Thanks.

Libertherme, Dec 1, 2018
Thema:

Motherboard power stage is fried: Can I still transfer my WIN 10 Pro?

1. Motherboard power stage is fried: Can I still transfer my WIN 10 Pro? - Similar Threads - Motherboard power stage

2. I think my motherboard is fried. PLEASE HELP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I think my motherboard is fried. PLEASE HELP: This is a follow up to my previous question about my laptop having water spilled on it. If this is related, please check it out. Anyways, after 8 days of my laptop not turning on from the water. I gave up and reassembled it, took out the rice, dried it with a towel and put it...
  3. I think my motherboard is fried. PLEASE HELP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I think my motherboard is fried. PLEASE HELP: This is a follow up to my previous question about my laptop having water spilled on it. If this is related, please check it out. Anyways, after 8 days of my laptop not turning on from the water. I gave up and reassembled it, took out the rice, dried it with a towel and put it...
  4. Activating Windows 10 on a PC with motherboard swap because my motherboard got fried

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Windows 10 on a PC with motherboard swap because my motherboard got fried: Hello everyone, I need help in this as contacting support and browsing through the forum didn't answer my question.I also tried opening a 'service request' on the Get Help app on another PC. The request was opened with "Expect a call from a support agent in about 0 minutes"...
  5. Activating Windows 10 on a PC with motherboard swap because my motherboard got fried

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activating Windows 10 on a PC with motherboard swap because my motherboard got fried: Hello everyone, I need help in this as contacting support and browsing through the forum didn't answer my question.I also tried opening a 'service request' on the Get Help app on another PC. The request was opened with "Expect a call from a support agent in about 0 minutes"...
  6. Activating Windows 10 on a PC with motherboard swap because my motherboard got fried

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Own-build Workstation, "Win-10 Pro for OEM" CD + SSD - can I transfer to new motherboard?

Own-build Workstation, "Win-10 Pro for OEM" CD + SSD - can I transfer to new motherboard?: This is really a question for someone from Microsoft, not so much the 'community'. Here's my question: Can I move my Windows-10 Pro "For OEM" license that I bought with a new SSD, to a rebuilt system that has a new Motherboard, and by necessity at this point, a new Intel...
  8. Power supply fried my 4 pin connection to my motherboard

Power supply fried my 4 pin connection to my motherboard: I finally was able to replace my motherboard and power supply. None of the boards would support my DDR3 so i had to change my ram to DDR4. My windows will not reactivate now. Can anyone help?...
  9. Motherboard power satge is fried: Can I still transfer my WIN 10 Pro?

Motherboard power satge is fried: Can I still transfer my WIN 10 Pro?: So, My Laptop power stage got fried last night and now I am stuck with a dead PC, and no access to be able to deactivate the product key on the old laptop. How do I go about transferring the win 10 Pro to another laptop please? 122609
  10. Hard drive totally fried - Can I still salvage my win 10 key?

in Windows 10 Support
    Hard drive totally fried - Can I still salvage my win 10 key?: My hard drive on my other PC is totally fried. There's no backup (nothing much to save on there). I'm going to have to do a clean install on a new hard drive and all I have is my old windows 7 key. Is it going to let me activate windows 10 without any trouble? 61977