Windows 10: Motherboard recommendations

Discus and support Motherboard recommendations in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Gigabyte told me back in June that my H67A-UD3H-B3 motherboard was compatible with Win10. After months of fighting various issues and an extremely long... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by anaron, Oct 18, 2016.

1. anaron Win User

Motherboard recommendations

Gigabyte told me back in June that my H67A-UD3H-B3 motherboard was compatible with Win10. After months of fighting various issues and an extremely long Gigabyte support ticket trying to get usb issues resolved, I called Gigabyte today because support wanted me to download another 10 iso, wipe the computer and start over for the umteenth time. Now I am told that NO the motherboard is not compatible with Win10. It will work but will continually have issues. I built this computer in 2011 so I have not kept up with the hardware advancements. I am looking at changing the board but have absolutely no idea as what to start looking at or if it is worthwhile to do the change. If I change the board, I would like to use as much of my hardware as possible. Any suggestions?

Ron

:)

anaron, Oct 18, 2016

2. Can I transfer the Windows 10 upgrade

If you replace the motherboard with the manufacturer's recommended replacement part you are OK. But if you buy a retail motherboard you will need a new license. The motherboard is the computer for licensing purposes.

Run winver and read who the license was granted to. If you, then the license is fully transferrable. If it was granted to the computer's manufacturer, then it dies with the motherboard if you don't use the recommended replacement part.

Cbarnhorst, Oct 18, 2016
  3. gogojello Win User
    Windows 10 keeps freezing on my PC.

Interesting... I noticed 1 fail in the hardware device and driver checks:

Motherboard Device Configured fail count. 16 tests. 1 failed. (description : motherboard devices)

What is the recommended solution for this? What happens to my Windows license if I update the motherboard?

gogojello, Oct 18, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

If you want to stick with LGA1155 (to keep your CPU) you're going to have to go back in time to Z77/H67 class chipsets and boards. Like 2012-2013 vintage. Are you sure you want to do that? If so, Tom's Hardware recommends the Asrock Z77 Extreme4 or the next-up version of your current board: the Gigabtye GA-Z77X-UD3H. I dunno. Seems like you might want to spring for newer components all the way around, unless you must make a minimum-cost move. In that case, keep on keepin' on, and see what kinds of deals you can get on those two mobos. From what I can see online, the Asrock fully supports Windows 10, while the Gigabyte appears to have only minor issues, if any.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 19, 2016
  5. anaron Win User
    Need to update as the older stuff is probably going to create more problems down the road. Thanks Ed

anaron, Oct 19, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    If you're thinking about buying new, I'd recommend a Z170 board with an NVMe slot for M.2 SSD. They're wicked fast, and prices are coming down (particularly now that Samsung has the 960 out, 950 prices are dropping). I recommend Tom's Hardware as a good resource for what's worth spending your hard-earned cash to buy, component-wise. Tom Soderstrom who does their motherboard ratings, is an old friend/former colleague of mine. Great guy, really knows his stuff.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 19, 2016
  7. anaron Win User
    You must be reading my mind. Have been looking at the Z170's for the past hour. Did not think to go to Tom's Hardware. Headed there now.

anaron, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Motherboard recommendations - Similar Threads - Motherboard recommendations

2. Hello I'm Running a Gigabyte B450 Auros Motherboard and I want to upgrade my GPU? any help...

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Hello I'm Running a Gigabyte B450 Auros Motherboard and I want to upgrade my GPU? any help...: Hello I'm Running a Gigabyte B450 Auros Motherboard and a Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 4GB and I am wanting to upgrade first of all is the Graphics card in the picture compatible?? if not what are my options??? I was hoping to get a 6GB card. my budget is only around $150-$250....
  3. Ethernet port doesn't light up on motherboard unless adapter is disabled, any fix?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet port doesn't light up on motherboard unless adapter is disabled, any fix?: My ethernet port has been working perfectly, right up to yesterday morning when we switched from a Virgin Media router to a Sky routerAs soon as the switch happened my ethernet doesn't work on my PC anymoreThe ethernet cable that goes to my PC still works and provides...
  4. Ethernet port doesn't light up on motherboard unless adapter is disabled, any fix?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet port doesn't light up on motherboard unless adapter is disabled, any fix?: My ethernet port has been working perfectly, right up to yesterday morning when we switched from a Virgin Media router to a Sky routerAs soon as the switch happened my ethernet doesn't work on my PC anymoreThe ethernet cable that goes to my PC still works and provides...
  5. BSODs after installing new motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSODs after installing new motherboard: For context, I got a new motherboard a week ago. After installing it I ended up getting "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" BSODs when trying to boot into Windows 11. After some troubleshooting I came to the conclusion that the board was defective, but after RMAing the...
  6. BSODs after installing new motherboard

BSODs after installing new motherboard: For context, I got a new motherboard a week ago. After installing it I ended up getting "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" BSODs when trying to boot into Windows 11. After some troubleshooting I came to the conclusion that the board was defective, but after RMAing the...
  7. My Lenovo Laptop requires Hard start in every few days- for last week- after motherboard...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Lenovo Laptop requires Hard start in every few days- for last week- after motherboard...: I have a Lenovo IdeaPad 5 14 and I do have an occurring issue with my laptop.When I leave my PC Idle for more a few minutes the display turns off although the PC is still running.power light is on and could hear the fan running.Then when I want to turn it back on I try to...
  8. if you buy a new motherboard and CPU dose it update the windows7?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    if you buy a new motherboard and CPU dose it update the windows7?: please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-you-buy-a-new-motherboard-and-cpu-dose-it/abb77855-14e9-467d-bda0-0860d0fb2f31
  9. if you buy a new motherboard and CPU dose it update the windows7?

if you buy a new motherboard and CPU dose it update the windows7?: please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-you-buy-a-new-motherboard-and-cpu-dose-it/abb77855-14e9-467d-bda0-0860d0fb2f31
  10. Motherboard Recommendations

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Motherboard Recommendations: Hi, Which board would people go for out of the ones listed below? Also if anyone here is using one of the boards please provide your feedback. ASUS AMD Ryzen PRIME X570 PRO ASUS X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO Thanks. 158399