Windows 10: Motherboard swap - Windows 10 Key Question

Discus and support Motherboard swap - Windows 10 Key Question in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Continuation of a question I asked a while back, thanks to those that replied! So if I have two computers I was interested in swapping motherboards... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/okokel, Jul 20, 2020.

1. /u/okokel Win User

Motherboard swap - Windows 10 Key Question

Continuation of a question I asked a while back, thanks to those that replied!

So if I have two computers I was interested in swapping motherboards between. Both have separate installations of Window 10 on them, and I have keys for both. If I swap the motherboards around, will the keys need to be re-entered for each, or will it assume the key of the original install since it's tied to the motherboard( (keys would travel with motherboard)? For the latter, maybe the second would only be true if I fresh-installed the OS on each system.

submitted by /u/okokel
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/okokel, Jul 20, 2020
  2. VisioWL Win User

Windows 10 not activated after motherboard swap

Hi,

I've ran into interesting problem after swapping out my computer's motherboard. The old motherboard contained a windows 8.1 pro key in the bios and the computer was upgraded to window 10 pro. After I swapped out the motherboard, the old one was fried, and
    put the new one in, I can't activate windows anymore.

The new motherboard contains a new windows 8.1 key but is there a way to activate it? Or do i simply have to reinstall windows 10?

Best regards.

VisioWL, Jul 20, 2020
  3. windows 10 key

Thanks but I don't want to do any decrypting. I want to download a Win 10 ISO from Microsoft and install it using my Win 8 key. No other steps required. Is that possible?

Easy Rhino, Jul 20, 2020
  4. Motherboard swap - Windows 10 Key Question

Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Jul 20, 2020
Thema:

Motherboard swap - Windows 10 Key Question

1. Motherboard swap - Windows 10 Key Question - Similar Threads - Motherboard swap Key

2. Swapped motherboard and windows is deactivated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Swapped motherboard and windows is deactivated: I changed my motherboard without taking notes of my windows key so now my windows appears as deactivated.I tried to access the troubleshoot but it only gives me errors of not reaching the servers, also, a button to try through microsoft account doesnt even appear....
  3. Swapped motherboard and windows is deactivated

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Swapped motherboard and windows is deactivated: I changed my motherboard without taking notes of my windows key so now my windows appears as deactivated.I tried to access the troubleshoot but it only gives me errors of not reaching the servers, also, a button to try through microsoft account doesnt even appear....
  4. Swapped motherboard and windows is deactivated

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. WIndows 10 Reactivation after Motherboard Swap

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WIndows 10 Reactivation after Motherboard Swap: Hello, I recently upgraded my PC motherboard and am having some issues activating Windows. Before I upgraded, I linked my Windows digital license to my Microsoft account hoping that this would prevent any issues. However, when I booted up after replacing the motherboard,...
  6. windows 10 and motherboard swapping

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows 10 and motherboard swapping: I bought a computer everything already built. it came with windows 10 on it. I have been slowly upgrading the components over time. My question is, is windows 10 tied to the hard drive or the motherboard. Ive read before that some people have problems swapping in a new...
  7. Windows activation after motherboard swap

Windows activation after motherboard swap: I called Microsoft support to help with activating windows after I changed my motherboard. I have a digital licence that I received when upgrading from Windows 7 years ago. This had survived a previous motherboard swap a few years ago with no issue. Support told me there...
  8. Windows not Reactivating after Motherboard Swap

Windows not Reactivating after Motherboard Swap: Hey everyone, I just swapped out my motherboard on my computer and got the activate windows message in the bottom right hand corner of my screen. Before replacing my motherboard, I had a Windows 10 Pro license. The troubleshooter doesn't seem to allow me to re-activate...
  9. windows 10 activatation after motherboard swap

windows 10 activatation after motherboard swap: I recently got a new motherboard for my pc, but when I booted up windows I didn't have an activation license, I ran the troubleshooter, clicked on "I changed hardware recently, and it gave me the option to choose the PC I was currently on, it wasn't listed, only the PC with...
  10. @ and " key swapped in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    @ and " key swapped in Windows 10: Whenever I try to use the @ button on my laptop it displays " instead. This also happens when I try to use the hashtag sign & instead get £. How can I fix this?...