Windows 10: Motherboard upgrade and OEM License

Discus and support Motherboard upgrade and OEM License in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I plan on upgrading my motherboard but worried that I have to buy Windows 10 again due to my license being an OEM. Is there a way to transfer that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by LazyXx, Mar 17, 2021.

1. LazyXx Win User

Motherboard upgrade and OEM License

I plan on upgrading my motherboard but worried that I have to buy Windows 10 again due to my license being an OEM. Is there a way to transfer that license to a new motherboard?

:)

LazyXx, Mar 17, 2021

2. Is still OEM license legal after motherboard exchange?

Hi TomitaSERBAN-

I'm Kevin B. Independent advisor and a Windows user like you, let me help you sort things out.

Activation depends on what type of license you have:

If it came preinstalled with the computer, that is called an OEM version. For an OEM license, the license remove as soon as Motherboard is not working. So basically,it is non-transferable. If that is the case you need to get a new license.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store,it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

However, this is not same for retail licenses.

Example: You purchased the license through Microsoft store. That does carry transfer rights.

To activate your Windows:

Run the activation troubleshooter on the new device using the below steps:

Go to Settings>Update and security>Activation and run the troubleshooter. and select I recently changed hardware on this device.

You may also refer on this link about Activation process of your Windows:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/...

Hope this will help and have a bless day!

Thanks.

Kevin B.

Independent advisor

Kevin Bart., Mar 17, 2021
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Question about OEM licenses

Quoted from Microsoft Web site:Licensing FAQ

"Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?"

"A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the End User Software License Terms and the support of the software covered by that End User Software License Terms. The End User Software License Terms is a set of usage rights granted to the end user by the PC manufacturer and relates only to rights for that software as installed on that particular PC. The system builder is required to support the software on the original PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PCs with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define the original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original system builder did not manufacture this new PC, and therefore cannot be expected to support it."

95Viper, Mar 17, 2021
  4. Motherboard upgrade and OEM License

upgrade to windows 10 home oem version

Based on how OEM licensing works, changing the motherboard invalidates the licensing. Recent communications suggest that Microsoft might be forgiving to such circumstance, so you could reinstall Windows 10 Home, then use chat support to reactivate:

Andre Da Costa, Mar 17, 2021
Thema:

Motherboard upgrade and OEM License

1. Motherboard upgrade and OEM License - Similar Threads - Motherboard upgrade OEM

2. Activate the OEM Sticker license after replacing the Motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activate the OEM Sticker license after replacing the Motherboard: Hello,I purchased a Windows 7 Pro license in the form of a sticker and installed it on my computer. However, now the motherboard of the computer is damaged, and I replaced it with a similar one same model. Can I use the sticker for the damaged motherboard to activate the new...
  3. Activate the OEM Sticker license after replacing the Motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activate the OEM Sticker license after replacing the Motherboard: Hello,I purchased a Windows 7 Pro license in the form of a sticker and installed it on my computer. However, now the motherboard of the computer is damaged, and I replaced it with a similar one same model. Can I use the sticker for the damaged motherboard to activate the new...
  4. Licensing OEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Licensing OEM: Hey guys. I have a question and needed your support. I bought 40 computers with Windows 10 OEM from my company and I need to update Windows 10 to Windows 11, is it legal to update the operating system version so that there are no legal problems with MSFT? Thank you for your...
  5. does remove upgrade license still retain OEM license ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    does remove upgrade license still retain OEM license ?: Is it possible to remove Upgrade license from Computer A without losing its OEM license?I need to use Windows 10 Pro which is an upgrade license as Virtual Machine in another Computer B; does using Windows 10 Pro upgrade license as Virtual Machine make Computer A lose its OEM...
  6. OEM License

in Windows 10 Support
    OEM License: I bought an OEM win 10 for my new self built pc, I wish to know in order to keep my OEM win 10 valid which parts cannot change ? Can i change cpu, rams, graphics card and sound card ? If i am not wrong only the motherboard cannot change ? 169777
  7. Is still OEM license legal after motherboard exchange?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is still OEM license legal after motherboard exchange?: Is still OEM license legal after fault motherboard exchange? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-still-oem-license-legal-after-motherboard/2a0eb93d-ac6e-4958-961d-963c33f34d33
  8. OEM License

OEM License: Hi, I bought a windows 7 Home Edition retail version long time ago. I got upgraded for free to windows 10 when it came out. Now, I bought a new computer and I was able to transfer my license from my old computer to the new one. I found an OEM pro version for sale on...
  9. Upgrading motherboard etc affect license?

Upgrading motherboard etc affect license?: I had my PC installed with Windows 8 around 2014 I think and a retail license which I have by an IT engineer. Since then, I've been upgraded to Windows 10 Pro v1809 which has been activated with a digital license linked to my MS account. My situation is I'm updating my...
  10. OEM motherboard license question

OEM motherboard license question: Hello, so I originally bought this computer with a OEM windows license attached to the motherboard. A couple months ago i removed my solid state drive and hard drive from the pc to let my nephew use it for a couple of months. Keep in mind I never deleted/formatted my drives...