Windows 10: Mount a Hard Drive as a Folder in Windows 10

Discus and support Mount a Hard Drive as a Folder in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello,I have just followed instructions to mount a hard drive as a folder in Windows 10. I will be using this to store music files.Rather than the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Raymond Bellamy, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Mount a Hard Drive as a Folder in Windows 10

Hello,I have just followed instructions to mount a hard drive as a folder in Windows 10. I will be using this to store music files.Rather than the internal SSD.What I would like some information on is this. If I have the hard drive connected to my computer and I make a Clone or a System Image, will the music files on the mounted hard drive be copied in the process.If the external hard drive is now classed as a folder I would think it would be copied in either case but I don't want to find out later this is not the case.Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks,Ray Bellamy..

:)

Raymond Bellamy, Oct 4, 2021

2. How to mount Drive and Folder in Windows 10.

Hi Thom,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern. We recommend you to refer
    Assign a mount point folder path to a drive
    for mounting a drive in Windows 10 and please follow the steps mentioned below to mount folder as virtual drive in Windows 10.

1. Search for cmd in search bar.

2. Right click on Command Prompt in the list and choose
    Run as administrator

3. In the text box behind Browser, type the following command
    subst X: "Location of your folder" (Replace X with the drive letter you would like to name as, and
    "Location of your folder" with the location of the folder you wish to mount as drive with the double codes. For example
    subst G: "D:\<Username>\My videos").

4. Restart the computer and you will see a new drive next to all your other physical drive.

Regards,

Manjunath_H, Oct 4, 2021
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 4, 2021
  4. LouG Win User

Mount a Hard Drive as a Folder in Windows 10

Should I be able to mount usb2 hard drive in usb3 port?

I hate to have to revive this thread (thought it was solved) but no...

I have several usb hard drives (all WD Elements 2TB) two of which are usb 2 and two usb 3. The usb 2 drives will NOT mount in the usb 3 port on my computer. The computer does have a usb 2 port (around back where it's hard to reach) so I can use them as needed but these drives SHOULD work in any port.

If anyone can suggest a solution, step right up! Running Windows 10 20H2. TIA

LouG, Oct 4, 2021
Thema:

Mount a Hard Drive as a Folder in Windows 10

1. Mount a Hard Drive as a Folder in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Mount Hard Drive

2. Mount a Hard Drive as a Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mount a Hard Drive as a Folder in Windows 10: Hello,I have just followed instructions to mount a hard drive as a folder in Windows 10. I will be using this to store music files.Rather than the internal SSD.What I would like some information on is this. If I have the hard drive connected to my computer and I make a Clone...
  3. Mount a Hard Drive as a Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mount a Hard Drive as a Folder in Windows 10: Hello,I have just followed instructions to mount a hard drive as a folder in Windows 10. I will be using this to store music files.Rather than the internal SSD.What I would like some information on is this. If I have the hard drive connected to my computer and I make a Clone...
  4. Can't mount external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't mount external hard drive: An external USB hard drive has been used for a number of years to regularly archive data on a Linux Debian system. The latest attempt to archive data gave the following error :- mount /media/backup mount : can't find UUID=0688802088800FFB Why does this error occur and how...
  5. hard drive doesn't mount on one computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hard drive doesn't mount on one computer: Hi, please tell me how to mount my hard drive that is working perfectly fine on all computers except for one. If I click safely remove hard drive there is an option to eject. If I open disk management I can a bunch of partitions that I assume is my hard drive. The computer...
  6. Windows 10 not mounting external hard drive on bootup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 not mounting external hard drive on bootup: Hello. Basically I've got the problem it says in the title. Every single time I boot up Windows on my laptop, this second partition on my SSD will not be assigned a drive letter. I have to go into disk management and assign it every time. I've already scanned the drive for...
  7. External Hard Drive Mounted but now lost

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External Hard Drive Mounted but now lost: How do you find an external hard drive after you change the drive letter and path in disk management? I need to find this in order to recover a very important file. When I plug in the external hard drive now, it does not show up in This PC. When I try to scan with Recuva,...
  8. Mount Folder as Virtual Drive in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Mount Folder as Virtual Drive in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10: How to: Mount Folder as Virtual Drive in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 How to Mount Folder as Virtual Drive in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 In Windows, you can mount any folder at any location as a virtual drive with a drive letter. When you mount a...
  9. Mount Drive to a Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Mount Drive to a Folder in Windows 10: How to: Mount Drive to a Folder in Windows 10 How to Mount a Drive to a Folder in Windows 10 You can assign a mount point folder path to a drive to have the drive appear as a normal folder located where you want. With you mount an internal or external drive to an...
  10. Mounting a Folder as shared network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mounting a Folder as shared network drive: Hi there not sure if it's me or has W10 changed the way you mount network drives I used to be able to add say HDD2/Music as a "Network drive" on say Z. Now it seems I can only mount HDD2 as a network drive. (I.e top level directory rather than one of the subfolders - in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows-10 cannot mount drive to a folder