Windows 10: Mount a VHD? How?

Discus and support Mount a VHD? How? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I used VirtualBox to create a 640MB VHD (virtual hard disk) named 'Palemoon portable (Linux).vhd'. (Note that the VHD is not a VDI.) I need to format... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MarkFilipak.Windows, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Mount a VHD? How?

I used VirtualBox to create a 640MB VHD (virtual hard disk) named 'Palemoon portable (Linux).vhd'. (Note that the VHD is not a VDI.) I need to format it, but first, I need to mount it. But when I attempt to mount it (as Administrator) via Disk Managment's 'Action' 'Attach VHD' menu choice, 'Attach VHD' is greyed out and cannot be chosen. Note that the VM is not running, and that VBox is not running. Also note that I'm aware that, in Windows, I can format it solely as NTFS -- that's not an issue.

I've not found a system setting that would prevent mounting VHDs.

In elevated Power Shell:

PS C:\Users\Administrator> Mount-VHD -Path "c:\VMs\Mint\Palemoon portable (Linux).vhd"
    Mount-VHD : The term 'Mount-VHD' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Mount-VHD -Path "c:\VMs\Mint\Palemoon portable (Linux).vhd"
    + ~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Mount-VHD:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

PS C:\Users\Administrator>

How can I mount the VHD?

With Regards, Mark.

:)

MarkFilipak.Windows, Jun 3, 2019
  2. MarkS.1 Win User

Bitlocker VHD not mounting

When I try to mount my bitlocker-encrypted VHD file, I get the following error message:

Couldn't Mount File, Make sure the file is in NTFS volume and isn't a compressed folder or volume

When I previously and successfully mounted the vhd, I was prompted for the BitLocker password. But now there is no password prompt and I get the latter error.

How do I get this vhd to mount?

MarkS.1, Jun 3, 2019
  3. Bitlocker VHD not mounting

Hi MarkS.1,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community Forums.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

As you are trying to the mount the Bitlocker-encrypted VHD file, suggest you to post this question in the

IT Pro TechNet Forum
    where we have dedicated higher level support professionals who are well-equipped with the knowledge to handle this query for you.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Jun 3, 2019
  4. Mount a VHD? How?

How to mount a vhd automatically on startup

I seem to have found a solution to the problem of moving OneDrive folders to a SD Card in Windows 10.

The solution in a nutshell is to create a vhd on the SD card, unlink Onedrive from the Microsoft account.

On re-starting OneDrive you can change the location of the OneDrive folder to the vhd on the SD card! Yay!

My question is, how do I get the vhd to mount automatically when the tablet is started up, and can that be programed to happen before the OneDrive sync service starts running?

Gordon B-P, Jun 3, 2019
Thema:

Mount a VHD? How?

1. Mount a VHD? How? - Similar Threads - Mount VHD

2. Xbox Game Pass Games not showing up when re-mounting vhd drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox Game Pass Games not showing up when re-mounting vhd drive: I don't know why, but when my laptop sleeps or restarts, my vhd drive disconnects and then i re-mount it back to my drive, then i tried to play games i had on the drive like Forza Horizon 5 but nothing loaded up, come to find out, i went to the xbox app and it doesn't show in...
  3. Xbox Game Pass Games not showing up when re-mounting vhd drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Xbox Game Pass Games not showing up when re-mounting vhd drive: I don't know why, but when my laptop sleeps or restarts, my vhd drive disconnects and then i re-mount it back to my drive, then i tried to play games i had on the drive like Forza Horizon 5 but nothing loaded up, come to find out, i went to the xbox app and it doesn't show in...
  4. Trying to exclude Read-Only Mounted VHD\VHDX drives mounted in a directory

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Trying to exclude Read-Only Mounted VHD\VHDX drives mounted in a directory: Disks are mounted read-only in C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\folder\0\ I've added exclusions for C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\*\*\*\* Using MPCmdRun.exe -CheckExclusion -path "C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\folder\ Using MPCmdRun.exe -CheckExclusion -path "C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\folder\0 each shows excluded...
  5. Windows 10 native "Mount VHD" file association gets broken by Oracle Virtualbox

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 native "Mount VHD" file association gets broken by Oracle Virtualbox: Windows 10 - I no longer have "mount" option for VHD's on r-click This used to work.. - I use it all the time to edit my tennants and pre load data prior to booting.. What broke it: Oracle Virtualbox the VHD file association has been stolen by Virtualbox so the file now...
  6. How to Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Disk) File in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Disk) File in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]In this post, we will show you different ways using which you can natively mount or unmount VHD and VHDX virtual hard disk files in Windows 10. VHD and VHDX files cannot be mounted from removable media that isn’t formatted [...] This post How to Mount or...
  7. [SOLVED] Mount a VHD? How?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    [SOLVED] Mount a VHD? How?: I used VirtualBox to create a 640MB VHD (virtual hard disk) named 'Palemoon portable (Linux).vhd'. (Note that the VHD is not a VDI.) I need to format it, but first, I need to mount it. But when I attempt to mount it (as Administrator) via Disk Managment's 'Action' 'Attach...
  8. Speed Up VHD Mount - Taskbar Icons Gone

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Speed Up VHD Mount - Taskbar Icons Gone: I have an Asus Transformer T100TAF with a 32 GB EMMC hard drive. Not much to work with so I installed a 128GB SanDisk U1 drive that is mounted as a VHD D:\using a Task manager task. I then changed the Storage settings so all new files go to the D:\ drive and all new app have...
  9. Speed Up VHD Mount - Taskbar Icons Gone

in Windows 10 Support
    Speed Up VHD Mount - Taskbar Icons Gone: I have an Asus Transformer T100TAF with a 32 GB EMMC hard drive. Not much to work with so I installed a 128GB SanDisk U1 drive that is mounted as a VHD D:\using a Task manager task. I then changed the Storage settings so all new files go to the D:\ drive and all new app have...
  10. Bitlocker VHD not mounting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker VHD not mounting: When I try to mount my bitlocker-encrypted VHD file, I get the following error message: Couldn't Mount File, Make sure the file is in NTFS volume and isn't a compressed folder or volume When I previously and successfully mounted the vhd, I was prompted for the BitLocker...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mount-vhd-path : the term mount-vhd-path is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet function script file or operable program. check the spelling of the name or if a path was included verify that the path is correct and try again.at line:1 char:1