Windows 10: Mount- and unmount a volume and a formatting question

Discus and support Mount- and unmount a volume and a formatting question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; A while back I mounted a partition as a folder to a drive (disk managment) All fine. I have a question regarding formatting. I would like to format... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tfwul, May 7, 2018.

1. tfwul Win User

Mount- and unmount a volume and a formatting question

A while back I mounted a partition as a folder to a drive (disk managment)
    All fine.

I have a question regarding formatting.

I would like to format the parent drive (the drive to which the partition is mounted as a NTFS folder)

Q: what happens when I format that drive?
    IF.. at all possible of course considering a mounted folder.

or
    should I first UNmount the folder, then format, and mount the drive again?

And.. last but not least, if the drive is unmounted, will it then still contain the data stored on it, or will this action result in loss of data?
    (maybe the data is lost because the partition will get a new drive letter?)
    Disk Management->Change drive letter and paths->Removing the drive results in a warning

"
    Users will no longer be able to access files by using this path.
    Are you sure that you want to remove this drive path?
    "

Thanks!

:)

tfwul, May 7, 2018
Thema:

Mount- and unmount a volume and a formatting question

1. Mount- and unmount a volume and a formatting question - Similar Threads - Mount unmount volume

2. Unmountable boot volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unmountable boot volume: Unmountable boot volume https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unmountable-boot-volume/0a612465-960b-44be-ad9e-c68d9cb94c12
  3. Unmountable boot volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unmountable boot volume: How to overcome this error blue screen appears and restarts again and repeating again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unmountable-boot-volume/10422cf3-e96b-4048-b980-62475e4f4d9f
  4. Unmountable Boot Volume

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unmountable Boot Volume: I'm receiving a blue screen saying the device ran into a problem and needs to restart. It stays up for a bit then restarts, over and over again. The QR code provided does not lead to any results, unfortunately. The error says UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. I've tried hard resets...
  5. Unmountable Boot Volume

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unmountable Boot Volume: I'm receiving a blue screen saying the device ran into a problem and needs to restart. It stays up for a bit then restarts, over and over again. The QR code provided does not lead to any results, unfortunately. The error says UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. I've tried hard resets...
  6. USB wifi adapter mounting/unmounting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB wifi adapter mounting/unmounting: I'm having issue with my adapter it will notify me that it's connected and I will be connected to the internet as well. However, it keeps mounting and unmounting deliberately and connection is not stable. My PC only getting small amount of mb connection. What to do?...
  7. USB wifi adapter mounting/unmounting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB wifi adapter mounting/unmounting: I'm having issue with my adapter it will notify me that it's connected and I will be connected to the internet as well. However, it keeps mounting and unmounting deliberately and connection is not stable. My PC only getting small amount of mb connection. What to do?...
  8. USB WiFi adapter mounting/unmounting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB WiFi adapter mounting/unmounting: Hi all, The problem I'm encountering is my Wifi adapter isn't connecting to the internet reliably. It started happening out of nowhere. I bought a new one but still the same issue - every couple of minutes the computer makes the "chime" as if I'm plugging and unplugging the...
  9. Unmountable Boot Volume

Unmountable Boot Volume: I get the message Stop Code - UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME Screen says "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" This is a Dell Optiplex 990 that originally came with Windows 7....
  10. UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME

UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME: bonjour wue faire quand l'ordinateur donne pour code d'arrët : UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unmountable-boot-volume/65c9e58f-915d-4922-916b-bcba37fecc85