Windows 10: Mount pointer drift - peculiar behaviour

Discus and support Mount pointer drift - peculiar behaviour in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a really odd but extremely annoying issue. I run an HP Z Book 17G5 with windows 10 Pro. When I turn the machine on in the morning and start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by YTFlyer, Jan 13, 2021.

1. YTFlyer Win User

Mount pointer drift - peculiar behaviour

I have a really odd but extremely annoying issue. I run an HP Z Book 17G5 with windows 10 Pro.

When I turn the machine on in the morning and start working, after say 20 or so minutes I notice the mouse pointer starting to drift slowly in a south westerly direction. Over time the speed of drift will increase. If I try to carry on working, sometimes a random operation will cause it to stop, for example just now, opening this very page stopped the motion, but mostly I will have to restart and then I won't experience it for the rest of the day.

Now here's the strange bit. If I leave it on until late and do some work in the evening I sometimes find it starting to drift again, but this time in a North Easterly direction! and again increasing in speed.

Why is my mouse commuting at the ends of the day! It's been doing this for ages now and I've yet to find a solution. Neither unplugging the mouse nor disabling the touchpad have any effect.

:)

YTFlyer, Jan 13, 2021

2. drifting / uncontrollable cursor

Hi,

Regarding your issue with your mouse cursor, we suggest that you follow the steps provided by Ratandeep on this thread:

Mouse drifting and not working properly.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Anthony Gal, Jan 13, 2021
  3. BeeJay38 Win User
    Drifting Mouse

After installing Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 8.1, my mouse pointer has started drifts rather quickly from top to bottom of screen or sometimes from right to left. Once it starts, the only way to stop it and return to normality, is to reboot. This only
    happens when I run X-Plane 10 and Microsoft Flight Simulator X, but once started it even drifts when I've log out of these files and is there in all window screens. Both of these programmes worked fine in Windows 8.1.

I Have a Nvidia GTX 780 Ti Video card and the latest driver for 355.60 for Windows 10. I've been in touch with Nvidia and they are very helpful but unsuccessful up to now.

Any suggestions or help.

BeeJay38, Jan 13, 2021
  4. Mount pointer drift - peculiar behaviour

Pointers

Points are simply a value (address) that "points" to a value. It has no extra information about what it is pointing to (hence the danger). When using arrays/indexers, the operating system knows this is a collection that is this long and is of this type. Any operation that steps outside of those constraints is caught and handled. On the other hand, if a pointer so much as points to the wrong address, all the values will subsequently be wrong.

Pointers are faster but more risky.

FordGT90Concept, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

Mount pointer drift - peculiar behaviour

1. Mount pointer drift - peculiar behaviour - Similar Threads - Mount pointer drift

2. keyboard drift?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    keyboard drift?: please help i just got this laptop the 11th of last month and the wasd keys are acting as if sticky keys is on, ive already tried spamming wasd+FN it does work but it keeps coming back every couple of hours...
  3. keyboard drift?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    keyboard drift?: please help i just got this laptop the 11th of last month and the wasd keys are acting as if sticky keys is on, ive already tried spamming wasd+FN it does work but it keeps coming back every couple of hours...
  4. Cursor Drift

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cursor Drift: My cursor started drifting a few days ago. We changed the batteries in the mouse, checked the sensor, tried a different USB port, and tried a different mouse which also drifted. In the end, the problem was solved by deleting a second driver in the device manager. It fixed the...
  5. Peculiar Onedrive Quirk

in Windows 10 Customization
    Peculiar Onedrive Quirk: I have 5 Microsoft branded computers, they all are happily syncing together with the exception of the desktop on one little Surface Pro 3. All OneDrive folders sync in nicely when I look into the file explorer, even the desktop so OneDrive is syncing to the Pro 3....
  6. Peculiar email

in Browsers and Email
    Peculiar email: Hi I've received an email to my live mail account that is from an unknown person to the same person. The body of the email states: IS THIS YOUR PERSONAL OR WORK EMAIL? I've checked the message source details & there's no mention of my live email address. My question is: How...
  7. Peculiar and perplexing

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Peculiar and perplexing: On initial start,Device manager shows the display adapter has been stopped,error code 43.When restart selected,the operation is normal and the display adapter,nvidea GeForce gt610,works without a problem, This situation happens every time,without fail. Fast startup and the...
  8. Peculiar windows 10 behaviour acting like "no drive recognized"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Peculiar windows 10 behaviour acting like "no drive recognized": Ok not really sure what to title this or how to explain this so knowing where to post for best reply is also limited...anyways here goes. I have windows 10, and had it on the rig I am using at this time to make this post, and all has worked perfectly fine no issues at...
  9. Cursor Drift

in Windows 10 Support
    Cursor Drift: Does anyone else have excessive cursor drift after installing W10? I am using a laptop with a touchpad, but I find the cursor always wants to drift upwards. Have tried many online so called "Cures" but so far nothing has worked. It's at it's worst when I am playing...
  10. Drifting cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Drifting cursor: Could anybody help with a drifting cursor problem that is making working on my Sony Vaio laptop very frustrating and time consuming; the cursor has a mind of his own, it tends to move in any direction at random and if I am in Explorer, at times, it transfers files from one...