Windows 10: mount/unmount external drive instead of internal drive automatically

Discus and support mount/unmount external drive instead of internal drive automatically in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi to all, I have lot of portable tools and data on my external drive which I use with my work and home PC. Both PCs have one built in drive with a C... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 5ggggg, Jun 15, 2020.

1. 5ggggg Win User

mount/unmount external drive instead of internal drive automatically

Hi to all,
    I have lot of portable tools and data on my external drive which I use with my work and home PC. Both PCs have one built in drive with a C and D partition.
    So many of my desktop shortcurts point to D:\myAppPath\... to call those portable programs.
    The local built in D: has just a subset (copy) of the ext. drive which I sync occasionally.

So far I created a desktop shorcut to mount the ext.Drive like this:
    @Echo off
    set"newE=daten*"
    set"newD=extSSD*"
    mountvol d:/D
    mountvol e:/D
    for/f "tokens=2,3 delims= "%%A in('echo list volume ^| diskpart ^| findstr "%newD%"')do(
    set drvD=%%B
    (echo select volume %%A
    echo assign letter=D)| diskpart >nul
    )
    set"lettE=E"
    if/I [%drvD%] EQU [](set"lettE=D"& echo.& echo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!%newD%not found !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    for/f "tokens=2,3 delims= "%%A in('echo list volume ^| diskpart ^| findstr "%newE%"')do(
    (echo select volume %%A
    echo assign letter=%lettE%)| diskpart >nul
    )
    echo list volume | diskpart

Now I thought about a 2nd Shorcut to remount the internal D again.

1 That would OK, if there is a way to call the Win10 built in eject from a .bat (I am to old to learn PowerShell ;-).

2 What would be great too:
    Whenever my external drive is connected, I want it to substitute D: and when diconnected the second partition of the builtin drive should be D: again. The thing is that there are several kinds od disconnect that could happen... e.g. eject via taskbar (tray) safe eject, during power off or accidentenly,...

:)

5ggggg, Jun 15, 2020

2. Internal Drive+Enclosure or External Drive

Hi, I'm not very familiar with storage solutions so I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I'm looking to buy a 1TB+ drive for backup. External drives seem like more elegant solutions but when I looked on Newegg many reviews seem to suggest that they are not long lived (e.g. break within weeks/months). Is this true? If so, are internal drives + enclosures better? Or do any of you have better solutions that I don't know about (like I said I'm not that familiar with the storage department). Thanks.

runevirage, Jun 15, 2020
  3. Windows 10 shutdown doesn't unmount despite......

Hi,

Thank you for the update and I apologize for the late response.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• How exactly you are trying to unmount the drive. Is it through Command prompt or from Disk management?

• What exactly happens when you try to unmount?

• Did you receive any error message while trying to unmount?
    I suggest you to try the steps given below and check if it helps.

Please close all the Windows before trying the steps.

• Open Disk management.

• Right-click the mounted drive that you want to remove, and then click
      Change Drive Letter and Paths.

• Click Remove, and then click Yes.
    Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jun 15, 2020
  4. Mussels Win User

HELP!!! External Drive issues!!

you're in luck, the guy with way too much external storage is here to the rescue!

step 1: try with a different USB cable

step 2: take the drive out of the enclosure and connect it internally to your PC

quite likely the cable or enclosure has died. if you're re-initialising the disk you might actually be erasing it... so dont do that.

Mussels, Jun 15, 2020
Thema:

1. mount/unmount external drive instead of internal drive automatically - Similar Threads - mount unmount external

2. USB external drives not mounting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB external drives not mounting: In the last couple of weeks my USB external drives have stopped mounting when I plug them in. The notification sound when a USB device is plugged in sounds, the activity lights on the drives power on and I can hear them spin up as normal, but the drives themselves do not...
  3. USB external drives not mounting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB external drives not mounting: In the last couple of weeks my USB external drives have stopped mounting when I plug them in. The notification sound when a USB device is plugged in sounds, the activity lights on the drives power on and I can hear them spin up as normal, but the drives themselves do not...
  4. Windows has stopped mounting internal and external drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows has stopped mounting internal and external drives: Hello, Recently, I noticed that some USB flash drives were not mounted automatically. Initially I've thought it's not big deal, and just mounted them manually. But then, after restart, Windows decided to mount nothing but C: . I've already tried about a dozen tutorials...
  5. Windows has stopped mounting internal and external drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows has stopped mounting internal and external drives: Hello, Recently, I noticed that some USB flash drives were not mounted automatically. Initially I've thought it's not big deal, and just mounted them manually. But then, after restart, Windows decided to mount nothing but C: . I've already tried about a dozen tutorials...
  6. Can't mount external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't mount external hard drive: An external USB hard drive has been used for a number of years to regularly archive data on a Linux Debian system. The latest attempt to archive data gave the following error :- mount /media/backup mount : can't find UUID=0688802088800FFB Why does this error occur and how...
  7. mount/unmount external drive instead of internal drive automatically

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    mount/unmount external drive instead of internal drive automatically: Hi to all, I have lot of portable tools and data on my external drive which I use with my work and home PC. Both PCs have one built in drive with a C and D partition. My desktop shortcurts point to D:\myPortableProgsPath\... to call those portable programs. The local built...
  8. Trouble mounting/unmounting external HD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trouble mounting/unmounting external HD: I have an external HD that I can mount and access okay, but after some amount of time something goes wrong with it to where I can access folders but they are all listed as empty, and attempting to unmount brings up a windows screen saying the drive is being used by a program....
  9. External USB drive wont mount

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External USB drive wont mount: Windows 10 Version 1909 OS18363.720 My 16tb glyph drive is formated for Exfat and all partitions mount on Mac laptop BUT on my windows 10 PC I only see 2 partitions of 16 and I am not able to ifx in disk manager or by scanning the disks. I read that this Windows Version...
  10. Best Practice for Unmounting External Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best Practice for Unmounting External Drive: I have created a mirror image on an external drive. I wish to dismount this drive until I need to make another mirror image. I have 5 external drives so I am unable to identify the drive I wish to disconnect using the Windows 10 Pro software. Does it matter if I shut down...