Windows 10: Mount Windows GPT drive on to Linux machine (VM or real)

Discus and support Mount Windows GPT drive on to Linux machine (VM or real) in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there just a quick note for people who want to use GPT (NTFS formatted) HDD's on a Linux machine directly rather than via sharing from Windows.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, May 1, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Mount Windows GPT drive on to Linux machine (VM or real)

Hi there
    just a quick note for people who want to use GPT (NTFS formatted) HDD's on a Linux machine directly rather than via sharing from Windows. Ensure package ntfs-3g is installed -- often is by default --this will give read and write access to NTFS files.

Remember a GPT disk will probably have (at least) 3 partitions on it so if you run lsblk command you will see something like this

Mount  Windows GPT drive on to Linux machine  (VM or real) [​IMG]

The main windows data partition here is sdf3 which is what must be mounted so as root (su / sudo) simply type the following command :

mount /dev/sdf3 -t auto -o rw /mnt/DV0 where /mnt/DV0 is say your mount point --- this then mounts the partition as read / write on the mount device and the auto option choses the correct file system automatically.

If you have /mnt/DV0 or whatever mount point you mount the HDD on in your samba.conf configuration file then that HDD can be shared across other computers in your network too.

"Seemples"

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 1, 2019

2. Drive not mounted

Hi John,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I’m sorry to know that WD passport and
    Seagate Free Agent Goflex Desk drive not mounted in the event window. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you and I will be happy to assist you.

Please provide us the following information, to assist you further.

• As you are able to find the drivers in device manager, are you able to find the drivers in Disk management also?
    Please refer the suggestions given by
    Imran Chand in the below link and check if that helps.

External HDD will not mount on one machine

Please let us know, if you need any further help and we would be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Vijaya Kumari 1, May 1, 2019
  3. xkm1948 Win User
    Install Linux in a Windows 10 Virtual Machine?

What is a good virtual machine software I can use to setup a Linux environment? I am having too much trouble dual booting Mint with my Windows 10. Is there a quick way to setup up VM for Linux?

xkm1948, May 1, 2019
  4. cereberus Win User

Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM

Not a direct solution but wouldn't it work if drive was formatted as exFAT instead which can be read or written on Linux (may need to add support).

Perhaps putting a small fat 32 partition on drive so you can get drive mounted in vm, and then use tools in vm to read xfs partitions might work?

cereberus, May 1, 2019
Thema:

1. Mount Windows GPT drive on to Linux machine (VM or real) - Similar Threads - Mount GPT drive

2. Mounting WSL2 Linux rootfs from Windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mounting WSL2 Linux rootfs from Windows: https://docs.microsoft.com/hu-hu/windows/wsl/wsl2-mount-disk tells me that I can figure out the device names for my WSL2-based Linux filesystems by > wmic diskdrive list brief but this showed me only my physical disks. How can I get the name for my Linux rootfs to...
  3. Workarounds for mounting windows partition linux

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Workarounds for mounting windows partition linux: Hi there! I've recently lost access to windows because of the 0xc0000098 error, also unable to fix bcd because it isnt picking up an operating system with an external windows install usb (i cant access windows recovery from my windows hdd itself), then I found myself trying...
  4. XP (VM or real) access to VERY large TB NAS drives on Linux servers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    XP (VM or real) access to VERY large TB NAS drives on Linux servers: Hi there If you need access for an XP system whether a Virtual Machine or a physical installation to access large NAS drives on Linux type NAS systems (e.g several TB size of modern HDD's) you will need to add these 2 lines in your SAMBA config (usually in...
  5. Deleting Linux partition with GPT

Deleting Linux partition with GPT: How are the steps different for deleting a Linux partition if my windows is GPT? Can I simply delete the Linux partition and activate secure boot without problems? Could I then turn on fast startup? submitted by /u/RealisticInterest6 [link] [comments]...
  6. Reinstall windows on Linux machine

Reinstall windows on Linux machine: Hello, long time Linux user I have not spent much time on windows in years but I have a new cnc machine that I will be better off with windows on. So I have a laptop that is perfect for this it is a 14 inch Lenovo think pad. I removed windows and I did not back any of it up....
  7. Copy files from Windows machine to Linux machine

in Windows 10 Customization
    Copy files from Windows machine to Linux machine: Hi All, I wanted to copy a folder of files from windows EC2 to Linux EC2, I have tried pscp but it is asking pem key file to validate, its in production so i dont wanted to use that. I am using both the machines in windows AD, so is there way to validate the authentication...
  8. Centos users update VM / Real machines - polkit error

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Centos users update VM / Real machines - polkit error: Hi folks anybody using CENTOS as a VM will probably get an error when doing a yum update due to some error with packaging in polkit so the update will fail. to fix as root (su) or (sudo) type rpm -e polkit - nodeps after that run the yum update again -- then all fixed....
  9. Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM

Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM: Hi there I usually run a LINUX HOST for testing Windows VM's - but I need to test some new releases of various Linux distros so I've created some VM's --easy enough and running them on a Windows Host. However I can't attach a USB drive with a Linux file system (XFS) to...
  10. Easy way to install on a REAL machine from a VM

Easy way to install on a REAL machine from a VM: Hi there Having got a VM working just the way I want it I wanted to install this on a laptop as a PHYSICAL machine. (VMWARE Easy way : 1) From WITHIN the VM -- uninstall VMWARE tools or VBOX additions etc. 2) Run acronis or other imaging software to create an image of...