Windows 10: Mounting WSL2 Linux rootfs from Windows

Discus and support Mounting WSL2 Linux rootfs from Windows in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; https://docs.microsoft.com/hu-hu/windows/wsl/wsl2-mount-disk tells me that I can figure out the device names for my WSL2-based Linux filesystems by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by G I Buday, Mar 9, 2021.

1. G I Buday Win User

Mounting WSL2 Linux rootfs from Windows

https://docs.microsoft.com/hu-hu/windows/wsl/wsl2-mount-disk

tells me that I can figure out the device names for my WSL2-based Linux filesystems by

> wmic diskdrive list brief

but this showed me only my physical disks.

How can I get the name for my Linux rootfs to mount it following the above link?

:)

G I Buday, Mar 9, 2021
  2. Flaviu2 Win User

WSL2 for windows

I have failed into installing WSL for Windows. I have read here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win.../install-win10 how to do it, and at step 4:

1. Download the latest package:
      [COLOR=var(--text)][COLOR=var(--info-dark)] Note[/COLOR]
      If you're using an ARM64 machine, please download the ARM64 package instead. If you're not sure what kind of machine you have, open Command Prompt or PowerShell and enter: systeminfo | find "System Type".
      [/COLOR]
    2. Run the update package downloaded in the previous step. (Double-click to run - you will be prompted for elevated permissions, select ‘yes’ to approve this installation.)

I encountered:

Mounting WSL2 Linux rootfs from Windows [​IMG]

and

What I did wrong ? I have the following W10 version:

Another question: am I in the the right forum ?

Flaviu2, Mar 9, 2021
  3. Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2)

Can anybody know when ''Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2)''
    is expected to launch?

Debabrata Ganguly, Mar 9, 2021
  4. Mounting WSL2 Linux rootfs from Windows

Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2)

Hi Debabrata

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

If you are asking when it will ship in final form, it will likely be available in the fall of 2019 in the next major release of Windows 10, 19H2.

Microsoft releases new versions of Windows 10 in the Spring and Fall. If you want to test, Microsoft will likely start providing test versions of it in upcoming Windows Insider Preview builds under development in the coming weeks.

The kernel provided for WSL2 will be fully open source! When WSL2 is released in Windows Insider builds, instructions for creating your own WSL kernel will be made available on Github. We will work with developers interested in contributing to help get changes
    upstream. Check back in a few weeks for more information.

Source:
    https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/ship...

Andre for Directly, Mar 9, 2021
Thema:

Mounting WSL2 Linux rootfs from Windows

1. Mounting WSL2 Linux rootfs from Windows - Similar Threads - Mounting WSL2 Linux

2. Kill a Linux process programmatically in WSL2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Kill a Linux process programmatically in WSL2: If I issue a long-running WSL command from a C# program, how do I terminate that Linux process programmatically? How do I identify the PID of the process in Linux so that I can issue a 'kill' command?...
  3. How to mount see aQnap Linux image on a PC

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How to mount see aQnap Linux image on a PC: Hi, I have a TrueImage (.tib) image taken from a Qnap NAS and it is now on a PC. I also have ubuntu installed on the PC via the PowerShell. How can I mount the inage to see it, Don't want to open it except to see what files are there.. I do have a free drive I can attach via...
  4. Installing Linux apps on WSL2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Linux apps on WSL2: I recently started using WLS2 with Ubuntu. I configured everything the way Microsoft's documentation. I want to have Linux apps alongside Windows apps as shortcuts. I also don't need a desktop environment. Is there a way to do that? submitted by /u/m_beps [link]...
  5. Workarounds for mounting windows partition linux

Workarounds for mounting windows partition linux: Hi there! I've recently lost access to windows because of the 0xc0000098 error, also unable to fix bcd because it isnt picking up an operating system with an external windows install usb (i cant access windows recovery from my windows hdd itself), then I found myself trying...
  6. Is there any way to mount a WSL2 folder in windows?

Is there any way to mount a WSL2 folder in windows?: Currently our developers are using Docker with Hyper-V and they have a folder with the code where its shared to hyper-v, so they can navigate to that folder and do whatever they want with explorer but on WSL2 the only way to interact to that folder is to either rely on VSCode...
  7. WSL2 linux xrdp

WSL2 linux xrdp: I have Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and Kali Linux both installed withWSL2 on my machine. I have installed xrdp on bothVMs and it works separately. But whenever I try to access the other while one is connected throughRDP I get an error on RDP like the following: - [ATTACH] I have...
  8. "Error" Installing Linux distro in windows 10 pro wsl2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Error" Installing Linux distro in windows 10 pro wsl2: WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102 Error: 0x80370102 The virtual machine could not be started because a required feature is not installed....
  9. Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2)

Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2): Can anybody know when ''Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2)'' is expected to launch? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-subsystem-for-linux-2-wsl2/c6045de9-7177-4290-89bb-afe853adaa94
  10. Mount Windows GPT drive on to Linux machine (VM or real)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Mount Windows GPT drive on to Linux machine (VM or real): Hi there just a quick note for people who want to use GPT (NTFS formatted) HDD's on a Linux machine directly rather than via sharing from Windows. Ensure package ntfs-3g is installed -- often is by default --this will give read and write access to NTFS files. Remember a GPT...