Windows 10: Mouse actions give unexpected results

Discus and support Mouse actions give unexpected results in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Many problems with mouse in Word, Excel, Thunderbird, even in this message: Selecting with mouse has become close to impossible: Make a selection,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by louisedraws, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Mouse actions give unexpected results

Many problems with mouse in Word, Excel, Thunderbird, even in this message:

Selecting with mouse has become close to impossible:

• Make a selection, let go of mouse, and selection is partially or completely gone.
    • If I manage to get a selection to stick on the desired text that would be after many tries and want to copy or move it, the result is having the text/words randomly scatter among the other text in what ever program I'm using: Word and other programs that allow text, such as email, filling in a form on a web page, any place with text. In Excel, same problems with selecting cells, e.g. can't select a row of cells in order to get a sum, same with moving or copying.
    • If I make a selection using keyboard shortcuts, moving or copying with mouse results in scattering as described above.
    • In Word, for instance, when I grab the margin 'bar' in the ruler, as soon I set arrow down to change margin, the paragraph menu pops up instead, and same with popup menus when I want to maybe change a tab location, and other craziness.
    • When I attempt to move an open window on the desktop, it maximizes instead of moving.
    • Once my taskbar moved itself from bottom to top.
    • I can't make a selection using the Snip tool.
    • And other crazy random things.

Yes, I ran scans, including root kit, for virus or malware. Always finds nothing. I've been talking to Kaspersky techs and have sent them system reports, etc. They found nothing wrong. I used two other malware finder programs, and they find nothing.

I even changed the batteries in my mouse. That didn't help either.

Now I'm wondering if it could be from one or another Microsoft updates?

Any help/suggestions from anyone?

:)

louisedraws, Sep 16, 2020

2. Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

Follow either of these steps to fix the issue with the Active window hiding behind.

Method 1:
    I suggest you to disable window by hovering over it with the mouse and check if it helps. To do so I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps:

1. Press Windows key + X key and click on Control Panel.
    2. Select or click Ease of Access.
    3. Click or tap onEase of Access Centre.
    4. Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.
    5. Check if issue is resolved.
    Method 2:
    I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Kindly follow the below given steps.

1. Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    2. In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    3. Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
    4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.
    5. In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

ChojiTiger, Sep 16, 2020
  3. MICROSOFT MOUSE PROGRAM

Hi Richard,

Since the above suggestions didn't work on your issue, we suggest that you follow the steps below for us to further locate the device driver that has been causing conflict on your system.

• Go to Settings.
    • Click Devices.
    • Scroll down, then select Device manager.
    • Look for the mouse icon, then click it.
    • Right-click on the available drivers.
    • Select Uninstall.
    • Re-connect your Microsoft mouse, so that the system will reinstall the correct driver.

Keep us updated with the result so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Sep 16, 2020
  4. Mouse actions give unexpected results

mouse axis ''X'' is now ''Y'' and viceversa

Hi Richiesco,

I would suggest you to test the issue plugging in a different mouse and see if the issue persists.

You may also test the same mouse on a different computer and let us know the results.

I would also suggest you to follow these steps and test the issue:

• Click on Start.
    • Search for Ease of Access and click on Ease of Access mouse settings.
    • Turn on Use numeric keypad to move mouse around the screen.
    • Check if the mouse moves in the right direction when you use the numeric keypad on the keyboard.

Let us know if it helps.

Rohit Siddegowda, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

Mouse actions give unexpected results

1. Mouse actions give unexpected results - Similar Threads - Mouse actions unexpected

2. Mouse speed drops unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse speed drops unexpectedly: I will describe in detail all about my problems including some details. I used this poisonous ultimate version as early as January 5, 2022, but on that day I reinstalled my desktop NVIDIA graphics card and Intel processor system. I didn't expect it to affect my mouse speed,...
  3. Mouse speed drops unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse speed drops unexpectedly: I will describe in detail all about my problems including some details. I used this poisonous ultimate version as early as January 5, 2022, but on that day I reinstalled my desktop NVIDIA graphics card and Intel processor system. I didn't expect it to affect my mouse speed,...
  4. Windows Search Not Giving Proper Results

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Search Not Giving Proper Results: When Searching with Windows Search, It does not show some apps when I search for them. I used Sublime Text as an example. It also does not allow me to web search.View Example Here...
  5. Bootrec commands giving unexpected responses

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bootrec commands giving unexpected responses: After a fresh install of Windows 10 on my Acer Swift, I tried running the command: bootrec /scanos. This command however is showing 0 total Windows Installations. Windows boots and BIOS Settings appear normal. The computer can run updates and is currently up-to-date. This...
  6. Unexpected results from time zone conversions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unexpected results from time zone conversions: I was trying out the time zone conversions in SQL Server 2017 and ran across some unexpected results. The same anomalies show up in PowerShell, since they are both using the underlying time zone information in Windows. Here is a good example in PowerShell: $d = Get-Date...
  7. Dir command gives unexpected / unwanted results

in Windows 10 Support
    Dir command gives unexpected / unwanted results: If I open a command prompt window and give the command " dir *.xls", I also get all xlsm, xlsx, xlsq etc files. This behaviour is unwanted and illogical. it makes scripting hopelessly complex and unreliable. If I wanted those files, I would issue a "dir *.xls?" command. For...
  8. Changing file Icons (unexpected results)

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing file Icons (unexpected results): Hello I've tried to change the file icons based on extensions(in Windows 10),for which I used a third party tool called FileTypes Man(I followed this guide), and at the first glance it works, until a system reboot at least. To be more precise, I am trying to change the PNG...
  9. mouse action

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    mouse action: how do I stop the mouse from scrolling pages when I only want to scroll on a page? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/mouse-action/a7b42b15-b690-44e4-8dd4-afedbf236554
  10. Cortana Not Showing Results,But Giving Voice Results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana Not Showing Results,But Giving Voice Results: Hello ... I have problem with Cortana search results. When i give her voice command, she answering my question by voice but not showing results. here's the Screenshoot [img] 30985