Windows 10: Mouse and File Explorer issue

Discus and support Mouse and File Explorer issue in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My mouse is a Steel Series 'Rival'. After much time I have an OK handle on settings and related, yet this issue has me stumped... - On the Desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by HKBware, Sep 8, 2018.

1. HKBware Win User

Mouse and File Explorer issue

My mouse is a Steel Series 'Rival'. After much time I have an OK handle on settings and related, yet this issue has me stumped...

- On the Desktop when I hover the mouse over a semi covered window I can scroll the in-active window. This was great till about 7 to 10 months ago.

Lets say I right click a folder then click 'Rename' and the drop-down menu is outside the window. What happens is that it loses focus, the window then becoming inactive which then makes it impossible to rename the file or folder that way. So I have to use the ribbon, 'Home->Rename'.

I have tried all the settings that visibly exist including 'Settings (Devices) -> Mouse'. Turning off the 'Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them' option. That switch has no effect where it once did work perfectly. It remains on though it's in the off position.

Otherwise things are working as they should... Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

:)

HKBware, Sep 8, 2018
  2. Sangeeta Sarkar Win User

mouse right click will not open my file explorer in taskbar

Hello Carl,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. We will assist you to resolve this issue.

• What happens when you left clicking?
    • When you say right click, do you actually mean left click?
    • Which all troubleshooting steps have you already tried to resolve this issue?

Left clicking with mouse will open File explorer or any other programs. Whereas right click will give you context menu.

I suggest you to right-click on the File Explorer
    on the task bar and select Unpin from Taskbar. Now in the search bar type
    File Explorer and right click on it and select Pin it to Taskbar
    and check if it helps.

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Sep 8, 2018
  3. Kalpana Shankarappa Win User
    File explorer

Hi Mick,

I am sorry to know that the File Explorer is not working on the Taskbar.

I suggest you to right-click on it to unpin it from the task bar.

Then search for File Explorer in Search. Then right-click on it to Pin it to Taskbar.

If the issue persists, try the steps below.

• Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.

• Type the following 4 commands at the Command prompt:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

• Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Sep 8, 2018
  4. Paolo Mag Win User

"This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, Sep 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Mouse and File Explorer issue - Similar Threads - Mouse File Explorer

2. File Explorer issue

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer issue: In File Explorer when my friend clicks on the Pictures shell folder in the left-hand column, all her titled folders with their files appear normal - as expected. However, under the shell Music folder and indented, there's a rectangular Pictures icon in this left-hand column....
  3. pressing and releasing the mouse wheel opens file explorer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    pressing and releasing the mouse wheel opens file explorer.: How to get rid of this shortcut. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pressing-and-releasing-the-mouse-wheel-opens-file/e599b000-a5fb-4fd4-abe7-3667f6b1f7de"
  4. File Explorer Issues After updating

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File Explorer Issues After updating: Today, I notice that my file explorer has some problems. It is probably because of the today's Windows updates. Here are the problems: 1. the status bar of file explorer: If I select some files, the status bar won't show how many files/folders in the folder I have selected....
  5. Issue with file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Issue with file explorer: When I go to file explorer to copy or move a file from one folder to another, it immediately closes (crashes). If I open and run sfc /scannow as administrator, it will work just fine until the computer is rebooted. Scaanow does not even have to complete running; just opening...
  6. Right Mouse Function/ File Explorer "working on it"

in Windows 10 Support
    Right Mouse Function/ File Explorer "working on it": Hi, I upgraded to 10 from 7 as a download and I am occasionally losing right mouse function (start menu, task bar) and file explorer will not open ("working on it"). Restart fixes it for a while and sometimes it will work for hours and sometimes just minutes. I tried...
  7. windows 10 file explorer issue

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 file explorer issue: I have one small issue. I was using win 7 and got upgraded to win 10 and everything was working fine. I have been using win 10 since August or September 2015. recently the location of the file explorer changed from the left side to the right side and I am not able...
  8. Windows/File Explorer Issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows/File Explorer Issue: Hello, This is my first post, I am currently having issues browsing my files due to Windows File Explorer Every time I try to look at any files via either File explorer or try to upload files to web, Windows/File Explorer Immediately crashes and restarts. I can't...
  9. File Explorer/Recycle Bin Issue

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer/Recycle Bin Issue: Hi guys. Wondering if you can help me with a little annoyance. Basically when I delete files or folders I do not need, file explorer will not refresh or bring up a dialogue box saying "Are you sure you wish to send this file to recycle bin?". When I delete it, the file or...
  10. Issues with quick access and file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Issues with quick access and file explorer: Today after starting my computer, I realized that quick access items disappeared and I am unable to pin anything. In addition, all pinned items in the menu that appears when you right click on the file explorer disappeared as well. I am attaching images to clarify the...