Windows 10: Mouse and keyboard not working after system restore, can't log in

Discus and support Mouse and keyboard not working after system restore, can't log in in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi. I have a PC i haven't used for a few years - mostly because my ssd died and when i restored my backup (macrium reflect) to the replacement drive I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Steveyg777, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Mouse and keyboard not working after system restore, can't log in

Hi. I have a PC i haven't used for a few years - mostly because my ssd died and when i restored my backup (macrium reflect) to the replacement drive I don't recall it ever working quite as right. I decided to solve this once and for all.

I have a backup that i have restored to my ssd but when i boot up the lights on my keyboard and mouse come on and work (including in the bios) but as windows 8 is loading the mouse goes off. the keyboard stays on but neither of them work when it gets to the log in screen (which is black and white, not colour but should be colour).

i tried safe mode but get the same behaviour.

i tried the advanced boot options stuff but can't restore a restore point (guessing there aren't any saved) or system image (wouldn't have used that feature as i used to use macrium reflect), startup repair says it can't fix anything. i think i can get a command prompt up but don't know what to do.

i was thinking i could upgrade it to windows 10 to see if that helped fix things but realised that i need to do an in place upgrade so i don't lose all my apps, settings, data but can't log in to do that.

is there a way to use the command prompt to setup another user in the hope that will let me log in and then try to analyse what is causing the problems?

i did try unplugging the mouse and kb and plugging them into other usb ports but mouse doesn't work at all and kb has less lights on than when working fully.

i tried booting without kb and m plugged in and then connecting at the log in screen and that didn't help either.

i'm almost certain that one of my RAM modules is faulty as it causes bios to detect 8gb total ram with faulty one inserted where as without it in and the other 3 modules in it detects 12gb RAM (i actually thought the ram was dual sticks or whatever the term is called so that you have to have 2 identical sticks inserted so bios sees them both but not according to this). not sure if this would affect anything?

in bios i have selected legacy usb support enabled.

I'm thinking this is a driver problem - possibly the usb driver?

I appreciate any help out there guys?

Steve

:)

Steveyg777, Jun 11, 2019

2. keyboard and mouse not working

Hi Chrystal,

For us to properly isolate the issue with your keyboard and mouse, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • Are you using a wired or wireless keyboard and mouse?
    • Have you tried using a different keyboard and mouse? If yes, how was it?
    • Have you tried using your keyboard and mouse to another computer? If yes, what is the result?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you try updating your keyboard and mouse drivers to resolve the issue. You may also check and follow the troubleshooting steps in this
    article.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Jun 11, 2019
  3. Laptop keyboard and mouse not working

Hi,

Since you are unable to use the keyboard and mouse, we suggest doing a system restore through Windows 10 Recovery Environment (WinRe). Follow the steps below and see if it helps:

• Start your desktop, and after the manufacturers logo disappears and Windows 10 tries to boot, press and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds to perform a hard shut down.

• Do the step #1 until you see the Windows logo screen or Please wait during boot. (You may need to perform this up to 3 times.)

• After Windows 10 boots into the Windows 10 Recovery Environment (WinRE), you can now access Startup Recovery, Safe Mode, and Command Prompt.

• Go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > System Restore, and then check if you have a restore point.

• In the list of available restore points, choose the date prior to the issue. Steps can be found in this article on
      how to perform a System Restore. Refer to Restore from a system restore point.

Looking forward to your response.

Radney Dri, Jun 11, 2019
  4. Mouse and keyboard not working after system restore, can't log in

windows 10 wireless keyboard/mouse stopped working; restoring system - how long does that take?

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

System restore usually takes around 25 to 30 Minutes.

What is the make and model of the wireless mouse?

I suggest you perform few troubleshooting steps to resolve issues with wireless mouse and keyboard and check if that helps. Refer the following article for steps to troubleshoot issues with

wireless Bluetooth mouse and keyboard

Reply back with the information, so that we can help you further.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Jun 11, 2019
Thema:

Mouse and keyboard not working after system restore, can't log in

1. Mouse and keyboard not working after system restore, can't log in - Similar Threads - Mouse keyboard working

2. Can't log in after restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't log in after restore: I was suspicious that my PC had some type of malware and it was running slow so I decided to restore it. I saved the important files in an external drive and formatted windows using the option "remove everything" and then "cloud download". After several minutes, it booted...
  3. Can't log in after restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't log in after restore: I was suspicious that my PC had some type of malware and it was running slow so I decided to restore it. I saved the important files in an external drive and formatted windows using the option "remove everything" and then "cloud download". After several minutes, it booted...
  4. Can't log in after restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Mouse and keyboard not working after system restore, can't log in

Mouse and keyboard not working after system restore, can't log in: Hi. I have a PC i haven't used for a few years - mostly because my ssd died and when i restored my backup (macrium reflect) to the replacement drive I don't recall it ever working quite as right. I decided to solve this once and for all. I have a backup that i restored to my...
  6. Keyboard and mouse are not working in login screen after restoring

Keyboard and mouse are not working in login screen after restoring: I have restored my Windows 10 pc last night. But my keyboard and mouse are not working in the login screen. I don't have any CD or USB pendirve with windows 10. What should I do?...
  7. Can't Log In After Restore

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't Log In After Restore: Having trouble logging into my WIndows Live acoount on my laptop after a restore. My upgraded WIndows 10 was recently corrupted and I opted to do a System Restore and keeping my personal files. Afterwards, I can log in as Administrator to my laptop. But I can not log into my...
  8. Can't Log In After Restore

Can't Log In After Restore: Having trouble logging into my WIndows Live acoount on my laptop after a restore. My upgraded WIndows 10 was recently corrupted and I opted to do a System Restore and keeping my personal files. Afterwards, I can log in as Administrator to my laptop. But I can not log into my...
  9. Can't Log In After Restore

in Windows 10 Support
  10. No keyboard or mouse works after restoring previous build

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No keyboard or mouse works after restoring previous build: About a week ago my PC installed the annual update and it ended up hanging on a black screen with the spinning circles so I restored to my last build since I don't have my backups anymore. When I finally restored I got to my login screen but couldn't do anything as both my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mouse andkeyboard notworking cant log in