Windows 10: Mouse and keyboard stop working after power on the machine

Discus and support Mouse and keyboard stop working after power on the machine in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I lately experience my mouse and keyboard stop working right at the screen before the login screen after pressing the keyboard, meaning that I cannot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SantiPrasanwongwuthi, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Mouse and keyboard stop working after power on the machine

I lately experience my mouse and keyboard stop working right at the screen before the login screen after pressing the keyboard, meaning that I cannot get to the login screen. I reboot my PC and was able to get into BIOS setup, showing the keyboard and mouse were working and recognized by PC. When I rebooted the PC again, the mouse and keyboard did not work at the same windows screen. While I was waiting at that screen, I noticed the hard drive was working ( the red light was flashing from time to time.)

In the past, I had to do hard reboot several times until the mouse and the keyboard returned to normal. But the situation like this happened more frequently ( it happened two days ago) and the last time it happened was a moment ago (Jan 25, 2019). I also noticed that every time it happened, there was a new Windows Update installed. I am wondering if the Automatic Update actually caused this problem and Windows 10 Home does not have any options to disable Automatic Update.

Please advise how to avoid this problem because it took hours to get the mouse and the keyboard to work after hard reboot several times. This is turning unbearable experience.

PS. I also notice tons of people have this same incident in the past with some Cumulative Update installed.

Regards,

Santi

:)

SantiPrasanwongwuthi, Jan 25, 2019
  2. Xylee Del Win User

Keyboard and Mouse not working

Hi,

This issue may have occurred due to compatibility issues. For us to correct this, we'd like to know more. Kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you tried using your current keyboard and mouse on another machine?
    • What is the make and model of your keyboard and mouse?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Xylee Del, Jan 25, 2019
  3. keyboard and mouse not working

Hi Chrystal,

For us to properly isolate the issue with your keyboard and mouse, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • Are you using a wired or wireless keyboard and mouse?
    • Have you tried using a different keyboard and mouse? If yes, how was it?
    • Have you tried using your keyboard and mouse to another computer? If yes, what is the result?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you try updating your keyboard and mouse drivers to resolve the issue. You may also check and follow the troubleshooting steps in this
    article.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Jan 25, 2019
  4. RFA1949 Win User

Mouse and keyboard stop working after power on the machine

Keyboard and Mouse not working on WIN19 Machine

I have a DELL Precision Worstation with Win 10 and over the weekend the mouse and keyboard stopped working.

Both work fine if I go into Setup and after rebooting and starting Windows 10 they still do not work.

I am able to get into the computer using Teamviewer that I installed to access the computer from offsite when required.

When I log in the machine works perfectly but when in device manager the keyboard and mouse show that there is no driver downloaded and thus they are not working locally.

So far I removed the USB mouse and keyboard and deleted the two and shut down the computer and depleted the capacitor [unpluged and hit power button to discharge] and restarted the computer and then at the desktop pluged the keyboard and mouse and system regognizes
    them both and tried to install the drivers and says they drivers are installed and the devices are ready and they don't work.

They still show on Device Manager as driver not installed.

The only way to use the machine is remotely with TeamViewer and that is not a viable option. There are programs and data on the machine that are needed for daily work but working through Teamviewer is not the way to go.

I've read about the keyboard and mouse problem and have tried he posted solutons and nothing has worked.

Windows 10 was recently reinstalled on this machine on a clean drive [within the last week] becasue Windows 10 would not boot from the original drive and the original drive was reconfigured as a second drive to be able to transfer the data to the new drive.

Any Help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

RFA

RFA1949, Jan 25, 2019
Thema:

Mouse and keyboard stop working after power on the machine

1. Mouse and keyboard stop working after power on the machine - Similar Threads - Mouse keyboard stop

2. Mouse & Keyboard stopped working after reset.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse & Keyboard stopped working after reset.: My keyboard and mouse aren't working after I reset my pc. I tried to reset my pc of the malware I got. In result I reseted my pc and my keyboard and mouse stop working. My mouse and keyboard works when i'm in BIOS settings or that blue screen repair thing. I tried going to...
  3. Mouse & Keyboard stopped working after reset.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse & Keyboard stopped working after reset.: My keyboard and mouse aren't working after I reset my pc. I tried to reset my pc of the malware I got. In result I reseted my pc and my keyboard and mouse stop working. My mouse and keyboard works when i'm in BIOS settings or that blue screen repair thing. I tried going to...
  4. Mouse & Keyboard stopped working after reset.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Mouse and Keyboard stop working after Recovery Win7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse and Keyboard stop working after Recovery Win7: GreetingsI have a rather old Win7 SP1 computer here that I have made an Acronis Backup of via USB stick.I restored this Image onto a very similar computer with almost the same specs.When I boot the system, I get to the Windows 7 Logo and then the system gets a BSOD...
  6. Virtual Machine Mouse and keyboard not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual Machine Mouse and keyboard not working: I have windows 98 running in hyper-v, and the keyboard works when it gives me the option to boot from cd or hard disk, but as soon as it restarts after formatting the disk neither the keyboard nor the mouse would respond even though they are both captured. P.S. I'm not sure...
  7. Virtual Machine Mouse and keyboard not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual Machine Mouse and keyboard not working: I have windows 98 running in hyper-v, and the keyboard works when it gives me the option to boot from cd or hard disk, but as soon as it restarts after formatting the disk neither the keyboard nor the mouse would respond even though they are both captured. P.S. I'm not sure...
  8. Virtual Machine Mouse and keyboard not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Mouse/keyboard stopped working after upgrade.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Mouse/keyboard stopped working after upgrade.: I'm at a bit of a loss here and need some help... This evening I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10. At the end of the upgrade, being asked to pick privacy settings, i find neither my mouse nor keyboard inputs are being read and the devices internal lights are off...
  10. Mouse and Keyboard stopped working after update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse and Keyboard stopped working after update: So yesterday when i turned off my pc the windows installed a update. Now when i turn on my pc my keyboard and mouse dont work. Need some help plsss. submitted by /u/BlackBaad [link] [comments]...