Windows 10: Mouse Basics: What happened to mouse-based drag-and-drop?

Discus and support Mouse Basics: What happened to mouse-based drag-and-drop? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; IMHO Microsoft invented mouse-based "drag and drop" and it worked well up through Windows-7. Since then, it appears that Windows has become more tablet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by neilrieck, Sep 20, 2018.

1. neilrieck Win User

Mouse Basics: What happened to mouse-based drag-and-drop?

IMHO Microsoft invented mouse-based "drag and drop" and it worked well up through Windows-7. Since then, it appears that Windows has become more tablet and/or touch screen centric and mouse-based drag-and-drop no longer works. What we all require is a mouse setting that properly enables drag-and-drop. For example, when I have icons sitting on my desktop, it has become very difficult to single-click on an icon then drag it to the trash can (the file usually opens which is not what I wanted). Like wise, I need to be able to left-click on text then drag the cursor from x-to-y in order to be able to select the text prior to copying and/or deleting. Since all my Microsoft apps (including Microsoft Expression 4) are broken in the same way, I am assuming that this is a Windows issue.

:)

neilrieck, Sep 20, 2018

2. Drag and Drop

When using "Drag and Drop":
    • "Alt + left mouse button" to create a Link/Shortcut
    • "Ctrl + left mouse button" to Copy the file
    • "Shift + left mouse button" to Move the file

lehnerus2000, Sep 20, 2018
  3. Mouse Lag!?!

Basically what it does is remove the mouse acceleration in XP. The mouse will feel slower at first, but eventually you'll get used to it... the only reason why I suggested the mouse fix was because mouse acceleration sometimes causes the sensation of having a laggy mouse (laggy meaning responding slowly). If you meant lag as in jumping around and generally not being responsive, then I guess you'll need to wait for more suggestions *Smile Mouse Basics: What happened to mouse-based drag-and-drop? :)

anticlutch, Sep 20, 2018
  4. OldAussie Win User

How to drag and drop programs to desktop

I don't use Edge, but I have read that it gives no option about where to save downloads - they are always saved into your Downloads folder. So it would be a two step process. (1) download it (2) drag and drop from Downloads to Desktop.

By the way, it's a good habit to always use the right mouse button for drag and drop. Then you can choose between move or copy or create shortcut.

OldAussie, Sep 20, 2018
Thema:

1. Mouse Basics: What happened to mouse-based drag-and-drop? - Similar Threads - Mouse Basics happened

2. Mouse without border - Drag/Drop Files not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mouse without border - Drag/Drop Files not working: Hello,I'm having an issue with mouse without border. The software run fine, mouse and keyboard & text clipboard are working, BUT I can't drag drop files to one PC from another, whatever the type or the weight of it.PC 1 : DESKTOP Windows 10PC 2 : LAPTOP Windows 11Is there a...
  3. Mouse without border - Drag/Drop Files not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse without border - Drag/Drop Files not working: Hello,I'm having an issue with mouse without border. The software run fine, mouse and keyboard & text clipboard are working, BUT I can't drag drop files to one PC from another, whatever the type or the weight of it.PC 1 : DESKTOP Windows 10PC 2 : LAPTOP Windows 11Is there a...
  4. Mouse without border - Drag/Drop Files not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Mouse not copying and pasting correctly, Drag and Drop issues.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse not copying and pasting correctly, Drag and Drop issues.: Highlighting of text does not work correctlyWhen I attempt to highlight text and hold down the mouse button at where I want it to startThe following happens1. It does not highlight at all2. It may start to highlight 3 or 4 words in or several lines later then on releasing the...
  6. Mouse not copying and pasting correctly, Drag and Drop issues.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse not copying and pasting correctly, Drag and Drop issues.: Highlighting of text does not work correctlyWhen I attempt to highlight text and hold down the mouse button at where I want it to startThe following happens1. It does not highlight at all2. It may start to highlight 3 or 4 words in or several lines later then on releasing the...
  7. Mouse not copying and pasting correctly, Drag and Drop issues.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. my wireless mouse will not drag and drop a usb mouse will why?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    my wireless mouse will not drag and drop a usb mouse will why?: My wireless mouse will not drag and drop. A usb mouse will. Why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-wireless-mouse-will-not-drag-and-drop-a-usb/a524903c-a771-46a4-89a3-17f40e13768a
  9. mouse drag/drop/selection problem

in Windows 10 Support
    mouse drag/drop/selection problem: hello. I have a logitech M510 and M705 mouses. i primarily use the M705 mouse when I had this problem. I tried the M510 to see if its a mouse problem, Its a very annoying problem. I am having trouble dragging and dropping files. when dragging, it cuts out on me. other...
  10. Can't drag, drop or mark with left mouse key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't drag, drop or mark with left mouse key: This started earlier today. The clicking still works with no issues, but everything that requires holding the left mouse key down has stopped working. I searched online and found many solutions, none of which worked for me. Restart explorer.exe, DISM command, changing...