Windows 10: Mouse Cursor changes to excel cross when on second screen

Discus and support Mouse Cursor changes to excel cross when on second screen in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, One of our users has reported a strange bug, and has us stumped. When his mouse is on his 3rd screen (laptop and two screens, using dell dock),... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Callum Webb, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Mouse Cursor changes to excel cross when on second screen

Hi,

One of our users has reported a strange bug, and has us stumped.

When his mouse is on his 3rd screen (laptop and two screens, using dell dock), it changes from the regular cursor to the excel cross, as if there is a spreadsheet open there.

The first thing I suggested was restart, so he did, and the mouse still changes.

The second thing i checked was to see if his graphics/dock drivers are up to date - they are.

I then spent some time searching online for this issue, and found nothing similar. There are a few where the mouse changes to weird shapes, which was solved by adding mouse trails and changing trail length to the smallest. On this laptop it simply trails the excel mouse..

I look forward to replies, and suggestions,

Thanks,

Callum

:)

Callum Webb, Mar 12, 2019

2. Mouse Cursor changes to excel cross when on second screen

Hi,

One of our users has reported a strange bug, and has us stumped.

When his mouse is on his 3rd screen (laptop and two screens, using dell dock), it changes from the regular cursor to the excel cross, as if there is a spreadsheet open there.

The first thing I suggested was restart, so he did, and the mouse still changes.

The second thing i checked was to see if his graphics/dock drivers are up to date - they are.

I then spent some time searching online for this issue, and found nothing similar. There are a few where the mouse changes to weird shapes, which was solved by adding mouse trails and changing trail length to the smallest. On this laptop it simply trails
    the excel mouse..

I look forward to replies, and suggestions,

Thanks,

Callum

Callum Webb, Oct 4, 2019
  3. Excel 10 cursor stuck as cross

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

1. Did you make any changes to the PC prior to this issue?
    2. Do you see the cursor as cross on the plain desktop screen or in a notepad?

This issue might occur due to some system files not working as expected. They might be broken or damaged.

You may follow these steps to change the mouse pointers to default and check if that makes any difference:

1. Open Control Panel and click on Mouse icon.
    2. Click/tap on the Pointers tab and Under Customize, select a pointer you want to change.
    3. Click/tap on Use Default if you want to change the pointer to use the default pointer for it.
    4. Click/tap on Apply to make the change to see how you like it.
    5. When done, click/tap on OK to apply and close Mouse Properties. Remember to restart the computer to check if that helps.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking 'Yes' or 'No'.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Oct 4, 2019
  4. Galirn Win User

Mouse Cursor changes to excel cross when on second screen

Mouse Cursor on second screen changes randomly

• Did the issue only occur when you updated your graphics card?
      • Appears to have only begun with the new graphics card. It's an AMD RX480 card. I uninstalled all Nvidia drivers prior to installing the new AMD drivers. It doesn't occur on the first monitor, only second. Which would indicate either something in the
        translation between monitors or something along those lines.
    • Are your drivers up to date?
      • From my understanding they all are, I try to keep everything up to date.
    • Have you checked if the problem is the mouse itself?
      • I do not currently have a second mouse, but the fact that it's only when it tracks to the second screen. On first screen everything is good. The normal cursor displays, but when I track to the second screen that's when the weirdness happens.
    • Are you using a wired mouse
      • Yes

Galirn, Oct 4, 2019
Thema:

Mouse Cursor changes to excel cross when on second screen

1. Mouse Cursor changes to excel cross when on second screen - Similar Threads - Mouse Cursor changes

2. Grey screen with cursor when connecting second monitor

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Grey screen with cursor when connecting second monitor: I recently got a new Alienware aw2521hf and whenever I have the 2nd monitor plugged in on startup the Alienware monitor is grey with my cursor but nothing works on the 1st monitor. If I unplug the 2nd monitor my 1st monitor will work perfectly fine.. when I go into safe mode...
  3. Grey screen with cursor when connecting second monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Grey screen with cursor when connecting second monitor: I recently got a new Alienware aw2521hf and whenever I have the 2nd monitor plugged in on startup the Alienware monitor is grey with my cursor but nothing works on the 1st monitor. If I unplug the 2nd monitor my 1st monitor will work perfectly fine.. when I go into safe mode...
  4. Mouse cursor won't change when hovering in Excel and other programs.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse cursor won't change when hovering in Excel and other programs.: My mouse cursor has stopped changing when hovering over an action. For example, when I want to widen a row in excel it won't change to a crosshair. If I try enough times it will still widen when I double click but I have to search for it. It also doesn't work with Snip it...
  5. Mouse cursor won't change when hovering in Excel and other programs.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse cursor won't change when hovering in Excel and other programs.: My mouse cursor has stopped changing when hovering over an action. For example, when I want to widen a row in excel it won't change to a crosshair. If I try enough times it will still widen when I double click but I have to search for it. It also doesn't work with Snip it...
  6. Mouse cursor won't change when hovering in Excel and other programs.

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Mouse Cursor change

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse Cursor change: Mouse cursor changing from pointer to plus sign in body of page on google chrome. It is Pointer on tabs and can move and select normally. As soon as i cross into body of page it turns to plus sign and the body turn blue. Cannot select. Think it must be a Google setting as...
  8. Changing mouse cursors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing mouse cursors: All windows 10 mouse cursors are really ugly is there some cool alternatives with how to install ? Thanks 129868
  9. Excel 10 cursor stuck as cross

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel 10 cursor stuck as cross: Windows 10 64 bit / MS Office Home and Student 2010 My cursor changed today from being an arrow to being a cross. I want the arrow back. The standard answer for fixing this seems to be: File to Options to Advanced then select Drag and Drop option. That option was ALREADY...
  10. Cursor crosses over to second screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Cursor crosses over to second screen: Hi, this started happening to me after a windows reinstall. When i play games that lock the cursor to screen 1 and i move the cursor to the right edge the arrow becomes seen on screen 2 even though its point cannot leave screen 1. Example: if i move the cursor up and down...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. excel cursor stuck on cross

2. mouse courser has cross on it

3. enlargd excel cursor on secondary display

4. excel cursor has changed,
  5. excel cursor now a cross,
  6. in excel my cursor is a cross,
  7. remove cross cursor on excel,
  8. mouse stuck axis pointer on excel,
  9. excel cursor stuck as cross,
  10. mouse enlarged on second screen in excel,
  11. cursor stuck and is not locked in excel,