Windows 10: Mouse cursor too big because based on signal res and not desktop res

Discus and support Mouse cursor too big because based on signal res and not desktop res in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How to ? Change the fact that cursor size is based on signal resolution OR change signal resolution Hello, I have 2 monitors, 1 is natively a 4k res... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Maxjprg, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Maxjprg Win User

Mouse cursor too big because based on signal res and not desktop res

How to ? Change the fact that cursor size is based on signal resolution OR change signal resolution

Hello,

I have 2 monitors, 1 is natively a 4k res monitor the other is not, it's a hd monitor.

Since I plugged in the 4k one, when I go in the desktop resolution option of the hd one it offers me to put the hd monitor in 3840*2160 resolution.

The "(recommended)" tag is on 3840*2160 for the 4k monitor, and on 1920*1080 for the hd one but I still put the hd one in 3840*2160 to have both at the same resolution.

My problem is that it seems that the mouse cursor size is based on the "real" resolution of the monitor, and not the one I select. When I say "real" I mean the "Active signal resolution"

https://i.ibb.co/cQTbg1p/image.png

The mouse cursor is 2 times bigger on the hd monitor compared to the 4k one.

for both screens in "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" it's at 150%

If i change the mouse cursor size is proportionally changes on the 2 monitors so it's always 2 times bigger on the hd one.

I wish to have the mouse cursor being the same size on the 2 monitors, it being the size it currently is on the hd one on both monitors would be ok, it being the size it currently is on the 4k one on both monitors would be ok, I just want them the same size.

I tried everything I could find on google: trying with each monitor as main display one, updating drivers (everything is up to date), play with cursor size, change cursor theme, restart etc...

As I see it there's 3 possible solutions:

Change the "Active Signal Resolution" of the hd monitor to 3840*2160 : I doubt it's easily possible, the signal resolution is native to the screen it's what it is.

Change the "Active Signal Resolution" of the 4k monitor to 1920*1080 : Again, changing it does not sound possible but it seems more plausible this way where you downgrade the signal resolution instead of upgrading it. So maybe ?

Change the fact that mouse cursor is based on "Active Signal Resolution" - with some kind of software ? Either make it based on desktop resolution, or make it so it does not based itself on anything resolution related and it just lets me put it at the precise size I want and that size is respected on all monitors.

Note that I checked on how to change the "ASR", for exemple here : multiple monitors - Windows 10 v1803: How to change "Active signal resolution" to match "Desktop resolution" - Super User

and other similar threads but it does not solve the problem

what people in those thread want is get the ASR to match the Desktop res while it's too big, me I want the ASR to either go up (on the hd monitor) or to go down (on the 4k monitor) BUT go down without dragging down the desktop resolution with it, it seems that putting the ASR on the 4k monitor to hd size is doable but doing so will put my desktop res to hd size, and if I put back desktop resolution to 4k size, the ASR will go up with it.

some notes :

- of course a simple solution would be to have both monitors in hd res for desktop res, it solves the problem of the mouse pointer size, but I purchased a 4k monitor to enjoy 4k res so I wish to have the 4k one in 3840*2160 desktop res

- the option to have the 2 monitors at different desktop res is also not good as it's really annoying

the only thing that screw up the setup is that damn cursor size, which is not that big of a problem but it still bother me quite a lot...

I would really like to avoid having to get a mouse cursor software because 1) i did not do an extensive search but after a quick glance i can not seem to find a good free one (free forever, not just for a trial) and 2) i would like to avoid having yet another start up program

Thank you very much by advance for your help

:)

Maxjprg, Jun 24, 2020

2. Desktop Res & Active Signal Res are different

Mouse cursor too big because based on signal res and not desktop res [​IMG]

My Monitor when I press the button says 1920x1080. I want to fully use 1440x1080 also noticing this slight flicker when playing games etc. Never did this when using windows 7.. Just recently upgraded, any help would be appreciated

iTurniKill, Jun 24, 2020
  3. PatDyer Win User
    Mouse cursor not visible in Windows 10

As no further suggestions were forthcoming, I decided to re-set the computer and that seems to have done the trick, my mouse cursor has re-appeared!

PatDyer, Jun 24, 2020
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Mouse cursor too big

Possible answer. Would take some finagling. Make a copy of the cursor in question. Edit it with any good image editor, and resize the x/y ratio. Save as type .cur and copy back into windows/cursors folder.

Select it here:

Hopachi is the Master of all things Cursor, maybe drop the question in

Custom Cursors - Windows 10 Forums

f14tomcat, Jun 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Mouse cursor too big because based on signal res and not desktop res - Similar Threads - Mouse cursor too

2. Streched res

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Streched res: I want to switch to 1280x1024custom using intel graphics panel from 1920x1080 to help on running games i just want to make sure nothing gets damaged https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/streched-res/49f3f058-b0a6-4775-b7e7-375f0bc1ccbd
  3. Streched res

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Streched res: I want to switch to 1280x1024custom using intel graphics panel from 1920x1080 to help on running games i just want to make sure nothing gets damaged https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/streched-res/49f3f058-b0a6-4775-b7e7-375f0bc1ccbd
  4. Streched res

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Screen Res change

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Screen Res change: Hello. I am wondering if I am able to write a line of code that will change my screen resolution when I open Minecraft Windows 10 Edition. I have tried QRes but I couldn’t quite figure it out, any suggestions? submitted by /u/CoolKidSylas [link] [comments]...
  6. Low res installers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Low res installers: All installers are super low res . And orange app is also super low res . My monitor is a 1080 p one submitted by /u/Gooierwheat [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l9t12g/low_res_installers/
  7. perfmon /res hangs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    perfmon /res hangs: When i open perfmon /res at hard drive monitoring tab and copy lots of files it hangs. Also after i joined ntp pool at https://www.ntppool.org/en/join.html perfmon /res hangs when i open network tab....
  8. Desktop Res & Active Signal Res are different

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Desktop Res & Active Signal Res are different: [img] My Monitor when I press the button says 1920x1080. I want to fully use 1440x1080 also noticing this slight flicker when playing games etc. Never did this when using windows 7.. Just recently upgraded, any help would be appreciated 129771
  9. Mouse cursor is too big

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mouse cursor is too big: Hello! My problem is that suddenly mouse cursor became way too big! OS is Windows 10. Display scaling is set to 100%. Pointer size set to smallest. Poiner Scheme set to Windows Default. Never happened before. I can see its square pixels now. BTW, when I sign out...
  10. Mouse cursor too big

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse cursor too big: Hi all, Mouse cursor in Windows 10 scales with the display size. If we go to display -> scale and layout, and we set 100, 125, 150% etc size we get the respected pointer size - the bigger the size the larger the mouse cursor. This is quite logical except when we want to to...