Windows 10: mouse drag/drop/selection problem

Discus and support mouse drag/drop/selection problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hello. I have a logitech M510 and M705 mouses. i primarily use the M705 mouse when I had this problem. I tried the M510 to see if its a mouse problem,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by firestorm31, Jun 30, 2020.

1. mouse drag/drop/selection problem

hello. I have a logitech M510 and M705 mouses.

i primarily use the M705 mouse when I had this problem. I tried the M510 to see if its a mouse problem,

Its a very annoying problem.

I am having trouble dragging and dropping files. when dragging, it cuts out on me. other times it won't let me drag a file or a window to a different size. other times or move a window to another area, i'm dragging a file, it cuts out, picks up another file and gets dropped into an entirely different folder than was intended which I don't know where it went.

On selection, its a battle to get the selection I want. I would have to select the hyper link 2 or more times to take. other times its super sensitive, it create additional tabs of the link or it would take me 2 links forward or 2 links backwards depending on where i'm at on the website. It also expands folders or windows when I did not intend to do.

its especialy difficult to select files for renaming, have had to repeat a number of times for the rename mode to come up.

it would also not let me do fine selection on sentences, it would do it word by word. it would sometimes skip over words and start a new selection process. this is another battle I've had to contend with.

ideas?

:)

firestorm31, Jun 30, 2020

2. Drag and Drop

Hi Charles,

the steps you suggested didn't work for me but, when pressing the escape key it somehow expanded the drive and by using drag and drop to the single file in the list worked.

In the past I could drag and drop multiple folders onto the drive on the network computer(s). Doing it on individual folders will take far too long and time consuming and is not an option.

Microsoft should be able to identify what is blocking it and issue a fix.

My machine is multi boot so tomorrow I will try with Windows 7.

Many thanks for your help,

Deric

DericStain, Jun 30, 2020
  3. Drag and Drop

When using "Drag and Drop":
    • "Alt + left mouse button" to create a Link/Shortcut
    • "Ctrl + left mouse button" to Copy the file
    • "Shift + left mouse button" to Move the file

lehnerus2000, Jun 30, 2020
  4. Barman58 Win User

mouse drag/drop/selection problem

Drag and Drop

The dual folder system containing shortcuts has been the same one in use since XP, (IIRC), I always preferred the drag and drop system that was available with older operating systems which are no longer available - It used to be a lot simpler I agree

The reason for an icon not being created correctly could be due to program installers that were designed for XP or Win7 etc or it could be selections made whilst installing, (as previously suggested).

I have heard rumours that an overhaul of the start menu is in the offing - due for release in part with the upcoming "Creative" Version, some of the things mentioned included an option to hide the full list and the addition of Smart folders which may be return to some of the control we've lost.

For ease of use when adding shortcuts I open two windows - the left to the Programs folder, (containing the shortcuts), and the right to the Program Files and/or Program Files (x86) folders.
    Right clicking and dragging on an EXE file from right to left gives an option to create shortcut when released over the Programs folder.

There are a few special mouse functions which are not, for some reason, advertised by anyone which can make things a little easier 10 Useful Computer Mouse Tricks For Windows 10 / 8 / 7

Barman58, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

mouse drag/drop/selection problem

1. mouse drag/drop/selection problem - Similar Threads - mouse drag drop

2. drag and drop problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    drag and drop problem: I haven't found anything online that answers this issue. When I click on a single file or group of files, hold the left mouse button and the Control key, as I drag the files it says "copying files to". But, when I release the mouse button it says "moving files to" and begins...
  3. drag and drop problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    drag and drop problem: I haven't found anything online that answers this issue. When I click on a single file or group of files, hold the left mouse button and the Control key, as I drag the files it says "copying files to". But, when I release the mouse button it says "moving files to" and begins...
  4. Drag and drop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drag and drop: Why i Can't use drag and drop in windows 11?? It is so annoying, i think i have to go back to windows 10.For development work it is really bad for user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/85e7b545-2642-4278-b569-418ba70cc539
  5. Drag and drop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drag and drop: Why i Can't use drag and drop in windows 11?? It is so annoying, i think i have to go back to windows 10.For development work it is really bad for user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/85e7b545-2642-4278-b569-418ba70cc539
  6. Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drag and Drop: I use drag and drop to transfer data onto my network computers, but since the latest update 1903 (18362.449) drag and drop won't work. I re-imaged back a couple of months and drag and drop works ok so the fault is with the latest update. Please advise. Deric...
  7. Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag and Drop: When did the ability to drag and drop from the taskbar to the desktop end? 122324
  8. drag and drop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    drag and drop: How do I fix the drag and drop function on windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/4f64f2ff-0a7d-45c6-9c26-fc131a8fd7b6
  9. Drag and drop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drag and drop: Hi. I have dell inspiron with windows 10. . I used to be able to drag and drop using the left click on the touch pad, but now its not working. I can do shift and use the arrows to mark the text to copy, and then move it copy etc. but in many cases I just need to left click...
  10. Windows 10 drag and drop problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 drag and drop problems: Hey TenForums! Been struggling with Windows 10 since I installed it yesterday. Coming from Windows 7. The problem I currently struggling the most with is ManyCam. For you who don't know what it is, it's a splitter or "fake webcam" where you can use...