Windows 10: Mouse Freezes When I Attach an External Drive to My MS Surface Book 2

Discus and support Mouse Freezes When I Attach an External Drive to My MS Surface Book 2 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a new MS Surface Book 2 with Windows 10 Pro version 1803. It has a persistent problem. With one exception (a more than 10-year old 2 GB pen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BobSt, Apr 10, 2019.

1. BobSt Win User

Mouse Freezes When I Attach an External Drive to My MS Surface Book 2

I have a new MS Surface Book 2 with Windows 10 Pro version 1803.

It has a persistent problem. With one exception (a more than 10-year old 2 GB pen drive), when I attach any of my USB drives it freezes the mouse, and I have to use the touch pad (which I dislike using). I've tried this with 5 or 6 drives, and in most cases the mouse freezes and stays frozen until I disconnect the drive. In other cases the mouse works intermittently, but only hesitantly. I've tried three different wireless mice (all Logitech, two of which use the same software, although they're different models), with the same result in all three cases.

Two friends thought that my problem may have resulted from the “fact” that the Surface is "notorious" for having "under-powered" USB ports, and that it could be solved by my using a powered USB hub. I ordered a powered hub, which arrived today, and it doesn't help.

I had one other problem, which may or may not be related: the button configuration for the mouse wouldn't stay fixed. That is, I'd change it to left handed, but after a re-start it reverted to right-handed. By Googling, I found that others had had the same problem, and that one person solved it by first changing the configuration, then detaching the USB connection, then rebooting and then reattaching the USB connection. Don't know why that would work, but it did, in both his case and mine. But again, I've no idea whether that's at all related to my freezing issue.

Can anyone give me advice on how to troubleshoot the freezing issue?

Thanks.

:)

BobSt, Apr 10, 2019
  2. g41851 Win User

Surface Book 2 trackpad ridiculously sensitive

I have a Surface Book 2 and the trackpad is ridiculously sensitive on it. A lot of people seem to be having this problem too as there are threads on the Microsoft community about it with no real answers.

Everything is up to date as far as Windows updates are concerned. I don't use an external mouse and I have the sensitivity of the trackpad set to low.

I'm wondering if anyone here experienced this issue and were able to solve it?

I have done all the diagnostic tests suggested by Microsoft, such as the Surface Diagnostic Test, and there are no problems with my computer.

g41851, Apr 10, 2019
  3. jarlolsen Win User
    My Surface Book 2: Evil, or just misunderstood?

Thanks very much for the reply. Honestly, I was just going to send the Surface Book 2 back, but I am going to give it another try. While I have had another freeze prompting me to hold the start button down for a good, long time, the computer seemed
    to be working once I'd disconnected an external hard drive. The 4TB, OWC drive is new and EFAT formatted, so I don't know what was up there. I ran Disk Utility on it from my old MacBook Pro and the drive came up clean, but later, the Surface Book 2 seemed
    to have no issues even with the drive attached outside of the one mysterious freeze. I did disable some things that were opening at the start.

jarlolsen, Apr 10, 2019
  4. Mouse Freezes When I Attach an External Drive to My MS Surface Book 2

Using Surface Go as an external display for Surface Book 2

I am trying to utilize my surface go as an external display for my surface book 2. When I try to connect the two I get an error message that reads "cannot display protected content" this then doesn't allow for the connection to be completed. Any reason for
    this, and anything I can do to fix this problem?

***Modified Title from: Surface Go as an external display for Surface Book 2?***

Seanz40206, Apr 10, 2019
Thema:

Mouse Freezes When I Attach an External Drive to My MS Surface Book 2

1. Mouse Freezes When I Attach an External Drive to My MS Surface Book 2 - Similar Threads - Mouse Freezes Attach

2. Surface Book 2 Keeps Detaching/Freezing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Surface Book 2 Keeps Detaching/Freezing: My surface book keeps detaching and showing the flashing green button every time I do something. I noticed sliding it over, pushing the screen back, slightly bumping it, picking it up causes it to make the "detach/reattach" noise and freeze. It freezes for about 10 seconds or...
  3. Surface Book 2 Ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Surface Book 2 Ethernet: Hi I have a Surface Book 2 and a Surface Dock, recently my ethernet LAN just disappear not sure why. I have tried rebooting, surface diagnostic, change lan cable and tested lan cable in other device in it worked fine. but not on my SB2. I checked that there is no driver...
  4. Attaching external mouse

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Attaching external mouse: If I disable the mouse to use an external mouse, can I reinstall it, if need to. My dad, 92, keeps experiencing floating cursor. I have a HP Pavilion 6BS61UA, Windows 10. It does not allow me to disable, only "Uninstall"...
  5. Surface Book 2 Login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Surface Book 2 Login: My buddy purchased his MS Surface Book2 a couple years ago. He always used facial recognition to log in. About a week ago, the facial recognition ceased to exist. He doesn't remember his Pin or Password. The hyperlink that says 'Forgot Pin' doesnt send me to another page...
  6. Mouse Freezes When I Attach an External Drive to My MS Surface Book 2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse Freezes When I Attach an External Drive to My MS Surface Book 2: I have a new MS Surface Book 2 with Windows 10 Pro version 1803. It has a persistent problem. With one exception (a more than 10-year old 2 GB pen drive), when I attach any of my USB drives it freezes the mouse, and I have to use the touch pad (which I dislike using). I've...
  7. Surface Book 2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Surface Book 2: I am trying to run Flash files on my Surface Book 2 and have had no success. I have downloaded adobe flash. Is there something I need to do? Does Flash work on the Surface Book 2?...
  8. instagram on surface book 2

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    instagram on surface book 2: While attempting to install Instagram on a new surface book 2 device, an error read that requirements were needed. Directx and more than 2 GB of ram were indicated as the need but the machine has 8GB and is on Directx v12. Do you have any advice on what we should do next?...
  9. Surface Book 2 - Camera Freeze

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Book 2 - Camera Freeze: Hi I'm running a surface book 2 i5 with 64bit Windows 10. After 10 to 50 seconds into using my built in camera (front and rear) the image of the camera freezes and the little white light goes out. This happens with the native windows camera app as well as with third party...
  10. Surface Book 2 overheating

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Book 2 overheating: Okay so I know the Surface Books have an issue with overheating. I absolutely LOVE my computer but obviously the overheating is an issue. Other posts talk about how its their screen that has the issue. I've even seen where the battery in the screen swoll up. My keyboard is...