Windows 10: Mouse hover actions stop working; ghost menus; (almost) no clicks work

Discus and support Mouse hover actions stop working; ghost menus; (almost) no clicks work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been having this rendering issue for more than 3 months now and it persists after several OS re-installs. Resolving this problem is of extreme... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by virb3, Jan 3, 2016.

1. virb3 Win User

Mouse hover actions stop working; ghost menus; (almost) no clicks work

I have been having this rendering issue for more than 3 months now and it persists after several OS re-installs.
    Resolving this problem is of extreme importance to me since many of the programs I rely on are affected. Reverting to an older Windows version is not an option for me.

Affected programs:

• Mocha Pro 4.1.3, IDA Pro 6.8, VLC Player & qBitTorrent (all versions)
    • overall countless new and old programs affected

How to reproduce:

• I can reproduce it successfully every time
    • Move the mouse from one sub-menu item that expands (SS1) to another (SS2) for a few times (usually around 10 is enough)
    • It can also happen by interacting with any other UI elements in the program (although takes a few more clicks)

SS1:
    Mouse hover actions stop working; ghost menus; (almost) no clicks work [​IMG]

SS2:

Facts:

• Mouse stops highlighting any buttons or menu items in the whole program - if you hover over anything that's supposed to have a hover action (like these menus) - nothing will happen, as if the mouse isn't there
    • Clicks will also only work in less than 10% of all scenarios
    • 'Ghost' menus (only the shadows of the drop-down menus are visible) will as well start appearing from some hover actions
    • UI of the affected program suddenly becomes very slow, laggy and choppy when the bug is triggered
    • Every program effected by the bug will not exit properly no matter what and the process will stay running forever, unless closed via task manager
    • The only solution is to restart the program

Troubleshooting done:

• old versions of the same software
    • new versions of the same software
    • all compatibility settings
    • all possible integrated and dedicated GPU drivers (from both laptop manufacturer websites & official websites)
    • fully disabling Windows animations
    • re-installing my computer 3 times

My guess (as of 4th of January, 2016):

As far as I can technically describe the issue, I think that the hovering effect of the mouse gets 'stuck' in one place (the place where the glitch initially occurs) and it stays there forever, despite the movement of the actual mouse.

Thank you!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Screenshots (just a few of the many problems):

IDA Pro:

Mocha Pro 4.1.3:

:)

virb3, Jan 3, 2016
  2. VictorS. Win User

[SOLVED] Mouse hover actions for buttons and menu items stop working; ghost menus; (almost) no clicks work

Last edit: problem solved!

I am so sorry for messing you into this Microsoft, it was a 3rd party program called
    Nahimic (which is shipped with my MSI laptop) that caused this mayhem! Simply exiting the program fixes the glitch. I have informed their team and I am hoping for a quick and painless fix!

Cheers to everybody!

VictorS., Jan 3, 2016
  3. [SOLVED] Mouse hover actions for buttons and menu items stop working; ghost menus; (almost) no clicks work

Hello Victor,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused, I will certainly help you with this issue.

Please answer the below questions to assist you better.

1. Do you face this choppy or laggy issue while navigating through File Explorer?

2. Did you try installing the program in compatibility mode and check?

3. Are you facing this issue only in Windows 10?

4. What is the make and model of the computer?

5. Did you check if you are you facing the same issue with latest versions of the software?

You may try install the program in compatibility mode and check.

Please follow the below steps for the same.

a. Right click/tap twice the program setup file and select Properties then tap or click the Compatibility tab.

b. Place a check in the Run this program in compatibility mode for: box.

c. Tap or click the drop down box and select a previous operating system, then tap or click OK.

d. Try installing the driver/software and check.

You may also update the drivers and check, you may refer to the below article on how to update the drivers in Windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/how-to-update-drivers

Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

I would recommend you to check for latest Windows Updates. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for Updates. If you have any pending updates remaining to install, kindly install them and check if it helps.

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, Jan 3, 2016
  4. virb3 Win User

Updated with a full re-write and many more details + screenshots.

Last edit: problem solved!
    It was a 3rd party program called Nahimic that ships with my laptop. Even quitting it fixed the glitch.

virb3, Jan 4, 2016
Thema:

1. Mouse hover actions stop working; ghost menus; (almost) no clicks work - Similar Threads - Mouse hover actions

2. mouse left click suddenly stop working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mouse left click suddenly stop working: So I have a problem with my laptop mouse where suddenly the left click doesn't seem to work, but the left click sometimes suddenly works but only in a specific app and after that it suddenly doesn't work again....
  3. mouse left click suddenly stop working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    mouse left click suddenly stop working: So I have a problem with my laptop mouse where suddenly the left click doesn't seem to work, but the left click sometimes suddenly works but only in a specific app and after that it suddenly doesn't work again....
  4. Stop mouse hovering acting like a click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop mouse hovering acting like a click: As a person with disabilities, I find the fact that a miuse hovering acts as though I clicked the left button. I have turned off the hovering in settings snd I have increased the hover time. Neither of these removes the problem. I need a way to stop this problem completely!...
  5. Stop mouse hovering acting like a click

Stop mouse hovering acting like a click: As a person with disabilities, I find the fact that a miuse hovering acts as though I clicked the left button. I have turned off the hovering in settings snd I have increased the hover time. Neither of these removes the problem. I need a way to stop this problem completely!...
  6. Right click and drop down menus not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right click and drop down menus not working: Hi I need help.It all started with the fact that when i right click on a file not rename it, the whole file explorer will crash.Its now gotten worse, i can no longer click on anything from a drop down menu or right click menu. It pops up but nothing opens up when i click on a...
  7. Right click and drop down menus not working

Right click and drop down menus not working: Hi I need help.It all started with the fact that when i right click on a file not rename it, the whole file explorer will crash.Its now gotten worse, i can no longer click on anything from a drop down menu or right click menu. It pops up but nothing opens up when i click on a...
  8. Action Center stopped working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Action Center stopped working: I have tried multiple solutions to it, like the sfc/scannow and the powershell solution, rebooting the pc. I have also tried deleting arial narrow which is just not letting me do. I also have no idea if it's related, but i am guessing it is, I can't get notifications for...
  9. Mouse Clicks and Hovering not registering.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse Clicks and Hovering not registering.: Don't really know how else to describe it, but ever since I played the Master Chief Collection on steam about an hour ago, my mouse has been basically nonfunctional. It would work on some windows, but almost all windows processes, including the Taskbar and desktop, nothing...
  10. Game freezes then mouse click stop working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Game freezes then mouse click stop working: It started to happen a couple of days ago: 1. I'm playing a game using a controller and a headphone, both connected via Bluetooth. 2. The game randomly freezes but comes back. While frozen, the controller loses connection but not the headphone. 3. It eventually freezes...