Windows 10: Mouse Hover Over Folder Shows File Size Much Greater Than Properties Shows It

Discus and support Mouse Hover Over Folder Shows File Size Much Greater Than Properties Shows It in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Greetings: I have a folder containing photos, Word docs, music, etc. A mouse hover over the folder shows a file size of approximately 20 GB. But... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LWapner, Jan 9, 2019.

1. LWapner Win User

Mouse Hover Over Folder Shows File Size Much Greater Than Properties Shows It

Greetings:

I have a folder containing photos, Word docs, music, etc. A mouse hover over the folder shows a file size of approximately 20 GB. But when right click on the folder and select properties, it shows a size of roughly 6 GB. Which is it and why the discrepancy?

Thanks

:)

LWapner, Jan 9, 2019
  2. 22878 Win User

Shows a different file size when hovering as opposed to properties.

This is an issue I just discovered. I have a folder on my desktop that is 10.8GB. It has many files and folders inside of it. When I hover my mouse over it, it shows the correct total size of the contents of the folder i.e. 10.8GB. However, if I right click the folder and go to properties, it only shows 5.67GB. It's doing this because it's not counting all the files and folders. In properties it only lists about half of the total files and folders for some reason.

I have dragged this folder onto an external drive and then right clicked it from there and it shows the correct size from that drive, but not the drive my OS is on.

I really want to like Windows 10, but only a few days into using it and I am having lots of issues, and I haven't even done anything on the computer yet. I'm still just trying to get all my programs and files moved over.

22878, Jan 9, 2019
  3. Bree Win User

Welcome to TenForums @22878

The reason is permissions. You do not have access to some of the folders there, and when Properties is counting the files it is doing so with your security permissions. It cannot count the files in folders for which you do not have permission.

Just because you don't have permission to open a folder and look inside it, doesn't mean you can't copy it to somewhere else. The copies are owned by you, so you have full permission to access them. Doubly so if you copy to a usb stick, because the Fat32 format they use doesn't support file permissions anyway.

Now you have a copy on another drive, rename the problem folder on your desktop, then copy the folder from the external drive back onto your desktop. Because you now own all the files and folders in it you should see the same size reported by hovering the mouse and by Properties.

Those permissions issues would have been exactly the same in every version of Windows, 2000, Vista, XP, 7 or 8.

Bree, Jan 9, 2019
  4. 22878 Win User

I deleted the folder from my desktop. Then copied it back over from my external drive where right-click > properties shows the correct amount of files, folders, and total size, but I am having the same issue as before. If you check out that link in my last post, other users are having the same exact issue and they seem to suggest it has something to do with file name length. They say it's a bug that appeared in a recent Windows update.

22878, Jan 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Mouse Hover Over Folder Shows File Size Much Greater Than Properties Shows It - Similar Threads - Mouse Hover Folder

2. taskbar not showing when i hover my mouse over it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    taskbar not showing when i hover my mouse over it: i cant access the taskbar when i hover the mouse over it if the windows is maximized once i minimise all the open applications i can access the taskbar as i hover the mouse over itit seems that the taskbar deos show on mouse hover but for some reason it is not able to overlap...
  3. Too much information when hovering mouse over folder in taskbar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Too much information when hovering mouse over folder in taskbar: Hi, This just started a day or so ago and I don't know why. Before, when I hovered the mouse over a folder icon in the taskbar it would just show the name of the folder. For example "Europe summer 2018" or "The Rocky Mountains winter 2017." So all I had to do was hover over...
  4. OneDrive Folder shows a Volume greater than it should

OneDrive Folder shows a Volume greater than it should: I have about 1.1 TB of files in my OneDrive account, online. On my windows 10 PC, Build 1909 I have set all but about 25GB of my files to remain online, the folders were set to 'free space'. However, the properties dialogue for my OneDrive folder says I have used about...
  5. Properties reporting used space MUCH more than the sum of the folder properties sizes.

Properties reporting used space MUCH more than the sum of the folder properties sizes.: SSD C: shows a "used" size of ~90 GB and the sum of the file folders used size is less than 30 GB - including hidden folders. What is going on?...
  6. Properties of Onedrive folder shows incorrect size

Properties of Onedrive folder shows incorrect size: My onedrive folder 91gb. I completely synced it on disk D. When I try to check size of onedrive folder - it shows only 37gb! Hovewer, used space on disk D is 91gb. How can I be sure that onedrive works well and all of my files on my disk? Thanks [ATTACH]...
  7. Shows a different file size when hovering as opposed to properties.

in Windows 10 Support
    Shows a different file size when hovering as opposed to properties.: This is an issue I just discovered. I have a folder on my desktop that is 10.8GB. It has many files and folders inside of it. When I hover my mouse over it, it shows the correct total size of the contents of the folder i.e. 10.8GB. However, if I right click the folder and go...
  8. Mouse Hover to Show Folder Contents Preview

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mouse Hover to Show Folder Contents Preview: I am looking to hover over a folder and get a quick read of what is inside while surfing around a poorly organized file system. Is there anything that will let me do this so I don't have to click in and click out of every folder. [img] 108745
  9. Windows Folder Size greater than Size on Disk

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Folder Size greater than Size on Disk: My 32GB Windows 10 Home PC (recently upgraded from 8.1) is low on disk space. I deleted Windows.old and I have hibernation disabled. Apart from a few browsers, very little else is installed, yet I only have 11.7GB left? One reason may be the size of the Windows folder:...
  10. Hovering mouse shows a window

in Windows 10 Support
    Hovering mouse shows a window: New user here. I got a few problems regarding from my laptop. Apparently, I upgraded my Windows 7 to windows 10 and when I hover my cursor to the topmost right portion of the screen, a window pop up in a second. [img] This popup distracts me when I work, and I'll be...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mouse hover not showing file size in windows 10

2. mousehoversize

3. why does folder size differ when hoving over than in properties

4. Mouse Hover Over Folder Shows File Size Much Greater Than Properties