Windows 10: Mouse not selecting text properly

Discus and support Mouse not selecting text properly in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, In the last couple of weeks I have had problems when trying to highlight/select text. Sometimes the text won't highlight at all, sometimes part... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by elmotrees, Aug 7, 2020.

1. elmotrees Win User

Mouse not selecting text properly

Hi,

In the last couple of weeks I have had problems when trying to highlight/select text. Sometimes the text won't highlight at all, sometimes part of the text is highlighted but not the whole section, sometimes a portion of the text that I'm NOT trying to select becomes highlighted. And then sometimes, rather than highlighting a section of text, my cursor will highlight a portion of the text and drop it somewhere else I'm using the 'undo' feature a lot at the moment! This happens on multiple applications – Word, Wordpad, Outlook, Firefox. I tried turning on the 'ClickLock' but it didn't make much difference. I think this might be connected to a recent Windows 10 update but I'm not sure how to go about fixing it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!

:)

elmotrees, Aug 7, 2020
  2. Ben Key Win User

Use the "show text suggestions as I type" feature without using the mouse

I just discovered the "Show text suggestions as I type" feature in Windows 10. I enabled it in the Settings application (via Devices\Typing, Hardware, Show text suggestions as I type).

I like the feature. I have discovered one small problem with it.

When you start typing a word, the list of suggestions are displayed as follows.

Mouse not selecting text properly fSPAn.png

The above image shows the Notepad window containing the text "Hel" and the suggestions list containing the following three items.

• Hello
    • Hell
    • Help

The problem is that so far I have only been able to find one method of selecting an item in the suggestions list, to use the mouse. I would prefer to be able to make my selection using the keyboard.

Ben Key, Aug 7, 2020
  3. Wireless Mouse doesn't work properly

The different mouse that I tested on this works perfectly, but unfortunately, the mouse I used originally that I tested on the other computer, didn't work properly, just the buttons.

So, I bet that I'll either use the new mouse, which gets uncomfortable, because it's meant to be hidden in the computer via USB... Or, I buy a different mouse. Or, find the solution to the original problem..

Hunter Meredith, Aug 7, 2020
  4. Mithin_EJ Win User

Issue Highlighting and copy Text selection with mouse

Hi DorothyKaltz,

Thank you for posting your concern on Microsoft Answer Community.

I recommend you to follow the below steps, and check if that helps.

Method: Highlighting and copy with mouse.

1. Click on the Windows logo
    2. Go to Settings
    3. Open the mouse & touchpad setting
    4. Turn off Scroll inactive windows
    5. Click on Advanced Mouse Options
    6. Adjust double click speed – (turning this setting down will help)

We await your response.

Regards,

Mithin_EJ, Aug 7, 2020
Thema:

1. Mouse not selecting text properly - Similar Threads - Mouse selecting text

2. Mouse not selecting properly. The 2 Methods did not fix it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse not selecting properly. The 2 Methods did not fix it.: Is there anything new or different? These are the two methods from 2016. Thank you.https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-all-of-a-sudden-not-selecting-anything/4436908b-1ee3-4cb6-b744-4685add13407...
  3. Mouse not selecting properly. The 2 Methods did not fix it.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse not selecting properly. The 2 Methods did not fix it.: Is there anything new or different? These are the two methods from 2016. Thank you.https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-all-of-a-sudden-not-selecting-anything/4436908b-1ee3-4cb6-b744-4685add13407...
  4. Mouse not selecting text properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse not selecting text properly: When editing documents, I need to select and comment on word, sentence, fragment, paragraph, make format changes fonts, indentation etc. copy between documents but my mouse looses selection, so I have to work around with keyboard selection. After I select text with keyboard...
  5. Mouse not selecting text properly

Mouse not selecting text properly: When editing documents, I need to select and comment on word, sentence, fragment, paragraph, make format changes fonts, indentation etc. copy between documents but my mouse looses selection, so I have to work around with keyboard selection. After I select text with keyboard...
  6. The selected text is black?

The selected text is black?: I'm using Word 2019, Windows 10. Recently, when I select text, it is highlighted in black instead of light blue. How do I get it back to light blue? I face this problem word only not any other ms office services. I need step by step instructions. Please and thank you!...
  7. The selected text is black?

in Windows 10 Customization
    The selected text is black?: I'm using Word 2019, Windows 10. Recently, when I select text, it is highlighted in black instead of light blue. How do I get it back to light blue? I face this problem word only not any other ms office services. I need step by step instructions. Please and thank you!...
  8. Selecting text with mouse not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Selecting text with mouse not working: dear people ... for the past few weeks i have been having trouble if not almost impossible to select text for "copy&paste" on any document office "365", pdf, even on the web, etc ... it can take more than 4 times before i can be "successful" whether it is word or a sentence...
  9. Issue Highlighting and copy Text selection with mouse

Issue Highlighting and copy Text selection with mouse: I am running Windows 64 bit on a Lenova Yoga 3. Since the upgrade, I cannot select text. It will highlight, but it won't hold. I am using right click on my mouse. I am also having problems selecting text boxes, likes, etc. Having zero computer skills, it is very...
  10. Text selection

Text selection: I am running Windows 64 bit on a Lenova Yoga 3. Since the upgrade, I cannot select text. It will highlight, but it won't hold. I am using right click on my mouse. I am also having problems selecting text boxes, likes, etc. Having zero computer skills, it is very...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. What cause mouse point not to hightlight

2. laptop mouse doesnt want to select all text

3. mouse will not highlight

4. mouse not able to highlight,
  5. why isnt my wireless mouse highlighting,
  6. mouse wont highliigh properly,
  7. mouse cursor erratic text selection