Windows 10: mouse pointer gets lost on inactive (powered down) display

Discus and support mouse pointer gets lost on inactive (powered down) display in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a 4K monitor and an HDTV set up as an extended display in Windows 10. Why does Windows allow my mouse pointer to travel to the HDTV when it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sgt panties, Aug 26, 2017.

1. mouse pointer gets lost on inactive (powered down) display

I have a 4K monitor and an HDTV set up as an extended display in Windows 10. Why does Windows allow my mouse pointer to travel to the HDTV when it is off? I continually lose my mouse pointer in this way. My HDTV is to the left of my main display and the cursor can travel off the left edge of my 4K monitor into nowhere land. (The cursor is barred from crossing the top, bottom and right edges, as expected.) Is this actually some brilliant feature that simple people like me just can't understand? Certainly Windows can detect the number and state of the displays (?). Explain it to me.

GigaByte GA-X99-UD3-WiFi, NVidia GTX 1060, Adesso Nuform keyboard/trackpad

:)

sgt panties, Aug 26, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Mouse Settings Reset Button

Hi Rykel, It seems Microsoft does not provide a button for resetting all your mouse Settings

The best I can provide is a list of the Default mouse settings in Windows 10:

Primary Button: Left

Mouse Wheel Scrolls: Multiple lines at a time (as opposed to a screen at a time)

How many lines to scroll: 3

Inactive window scroll: On

Buttons

Configuration: Right-handed

Double Click Speed: 5th notch from the right

Click Lock: Off

Pointers

Scheme: None

Enable pointer shadow: Off

Pointer Options

Pointer Speed: Center of Slider

Enhance pointer precision: On

Snap To: Off

Display pointer trails: Off

Hide pointer while typing: On

Show pointer location on CTRL: Off

DaveM121, Aug 26, 2017
  3. Win 10 boot manager GUI menu, no mouse pointer

I have a machine with three Windows 10 partitions. When I boot I get the boot manager menu but there is no mouse pointer displayed. If I wobble the mouse around it will eventually intersect a menu entry and highlight it. I can then click and boot that menu
    item. So I have a mouse pointer but it isn't displayed. I can also do a work around using the Tab and Arrow keys. No big problem just an inconvenience.

Tonight I clean installed (booted from a USB) one of the partitions and I got my mouse pointer back. However, it only showed the pointer when the new system was the default boot. When I changed the default boot to either one of the other systems then I lost
    the mouse pointer. The other two systems were upgrade installs from Win 8.1.

I have a laptop which was also upgraded from Win 8.1. I forced it to show a boot menu and it had no mouse pointer either.

I'm not about to go and clean install the three systems that were upgraded. That would be an unnecessary pain. However, it would be nice to easily use the mouse again in the boot menu.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks

Bob

Bob_Denton, Aug 26, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

mouse pointer gets lost on inactive (powered down) display

If you just turn secondary display off but you still have Settings > Display > Multiple displays set to Extend, Windows thinks the display is there even it has been turned off. It's not enough to turn it off, you must also set Multiple Displays to Show only on 1.

mouse pointer gets lost on inactive (powered down) display [​IMG]

5. Yes, Kari, that's the way it works, but it's a PITA. It's a little like having to issue commands to tell the Windows that a USB drive is present after you've inserted it. If Windows can detect a monitor, what's the sense of Windows allowing me to move a pointer to a monitor that isn't on? It's a bug.

sgt panties, Aug 26, 2017
  6. It knows its there, it just doesn't know its off. Press the Windows Logo Key *Start + P and select "PC only" and it won't happen. I have short cuts on my taskbar to switch from PC only to Extend.
    C:\Windows\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe /internal
    C:\Windows\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe /extend

mouse pointer gets lost on inactive (powered down) display [​IMG]

alphanumeric, Aug 26, 2017
  7. Thanks alphanu. I think I'll put it on my list to write a C# tray program that registers to receive that event then does the equivalent of your commands automatically in a callback. You got my mind a workin'.

sgt panties, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

mouse pointer gets lost on inactive (powered down) display

1. mouse pointer gets lost on inactive (powered down) display - Similar Threads - mouse pointer gets

2. Mouse pointer suddenly slowed down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse pointer suddenly slowed down: I had a power outage and upon restart the mouse pointer was moving painfully slow. now the speed settings are maxed out and it's still slower than it used to be. I've uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, and also disabled "enhance mouse precision" with no effect whatsoever....
  3. Mouse pointer suddenly slowed down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse pointer suddenly slowed down: I had a power outage and upon restart the mouse pointer was moving painfully slow. now the speed settings are maxed out and it's still slower than it used to be. I've uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, and also disabled "enhance mouse precision" with no effect whatsoever....
  4. Mouse pointer not displaying

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse pointer not displaying: Hi, my mouse stopped displaying on screen about a day ago for no reason. Have tried to do an update of driver but it says it’s the most up to date one. Tried removing the mouse and re installing but still nothing....
  5. Mouse pointer on shut down thing.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Mouse pointer on shut down thing.: So this happened 2 days ago i was trying to shut down my computer but suddenly it stopped at the shutting down part and my mouse pointer was there i let it sit and leave it to shut down after 10 mins i cant take it anymore i pressed my mouse button and it shutted down it...
  6. mouse pointer

in Windows 10 Customization
    mouse pointer: I was changing my mouse pointer color and now there is this irritating blue square floating around on the screen. How do I get rid of it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-pointer/33a2163f-e214-4004-bcff-3013b2638f93
  7. mouse pointer

in Windows 10 Customization
    mouse pointer: how can i get the mouse pointer to snap to e.g. [OK] in a choice situation? or to YES or to NO etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-pointer/f788a716-5532-47c4-aa43-2bc394a641b4
  8. Mouse pointer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse pointer: The pointer is fixed in the middle of the screen,touchpad/left & right buttons not working. Can anybody help please ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-pointer/0dfd6cfb-a9cb-450e-924e-8bc8745d590e
  9. Lost mouse pointer & faint circles at the bottom of the screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost mouse pointer & faint circles at the bottom of the screen: Hi, My Surface Book running up to date Win10 has developed the subject problem. It starts after some period from 5 minutes to about 1 hour. Both the mouse and the touchscreen stop working. Shutting down using the power button and restarting solves it for a while. Any clues...
  10. frozen display mouse pointer troubleshooting bsod

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    frozen display mouse pointer troubleshooting bsod: Today I had a frozen display mouse cursor and in the process of troubleshooting I experienced multiple bsod. The preliminary misbehaving software was Speed Fan by whocrashed. The software was uninstalled and reinstalled and when using it with Intel processor diagnostic tool...