Windows 10: Mouse pointer iratic with a strange Cortana listening ring

Discus and support Mouse pointer iratic with a strange Cortana listening ring in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I hope this is in the correct forum to post this interesting and weird problem I am having. The mouse pointer goes weird when this round... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by maok, Oct 25, 2017.

1. maok Win User

Mouse pointer iratic with a strange Cortana listening ring

Hi all, I hope this is in the correct forum to post this interesting and weird problem I am having.

The mouse pointer goes weird when this round ring (similar to the Cortana listening ring) appears just above where the Cortana search box is on the Task bar ie. bottom left hand corner.
    What I mean by weird is it flashes and flicks between its current position to the middle of this ring. It also seems to be left click continuously.
    This happens regardless of if I am using a mouse plugged into a usb port or not, or using the touch pad. It is very random, however, it will reset when I restart the laptop. But will re-appear within seconds or minutes soon after restarting.

I have tried many things to rid of this issue.

Is it software or hardware related?

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro with i7 6500 8Gb touch screen.

Many thanks,
    Moe

:)

2. Windows 10 Mouse Delay Bug

I had the same issue with a Dell Latitude E6410, here's what I did to resolve it, strange but true:

* Go to Control Panel ->Hardware and Sound -> Mouse

* Go under the pointer tab

* Uncheck "Enable pointer shadow", apply

* Close Control Panel

* Check for mouse stutter, if everything is okay turn the shadow back on.

In my case I noticed that the mouse pointer action has changed, the mouse has not paused since this change, A blue busy ring now appears next to the pointer where in the past it would
    stop the mouse pointer dead for a few seconds, now the pointer is snappy and precise.

NetDriveLtd, Oct 25, 2017
  3. Windows 10 randomly freezing

You also experience some microstuttering when moving mouse pointer, listening to music, etc.?

Skye190887, Oct 25, 2017
  4. maok Win User

Here is a video of the issue;

5. Try Changing The Search Box to just a Cortana Icon.

Josey Wales, Oct 25, 2017
  6. maok Win User
    Thanks for the reply.

I have hidden the Cortana & search box but with no luck.

7. That was just a shot in the dark but since it is happening with both the pad and the USB Mouse I would think it would be Software related. Are the settings in Mouse properties set OK In the image below the show locator is not checked when you press the control key Maybe something is under your control key setting it off. If not that I would run sfc /SCANNOW from an elevated CMD Prompt and see if it goes away.

Mouse pointer iratic with a strange Cortana listening ring [​IMG]

8. maok Win User

That has been un-checked.

But I have now checked it to see what happens.

9. maok Win User
    How does one turn off the touch screen feature of the laptop?

10. It is probably in the Bios. When I worked I had a DELL Laptop and I never used that mouse pad. I always carried around a small USB Mouse. It also may be in The Control panel or you may be able to disable it in device manager, I just never used it. I would try the CP First.

Here

How to Disable Your Laptop Touchpad | PCWorld

New link

11. Google failed me....*Mad

12. maok Win User
    It appears that my touch screen is playing up. It is randomly 'touching', generally to the bottom left of screen. Extremely annoying.

To disable the touch screen feature;

Settings-->Device Manager-->Human Interface Device--> HID complaint Touch Screen--> DISABLE.

Thanks @Josey Wales for your help.

Thema:

1. Mouse pointer iratic with a strange Cortana listening ring - Similar Threads - Mouse pointer iratic

2. Cortana randomly starts listening

in Cortana
    Cortana randomly starts listening: So I have a Windows 10 HP laptop with an integrated microphone and camera. I will frequently leave my laptop open with the screen on so I can quickly reply to messages. Well my laptop is in this state Cortana will randomly activate and listen for maybe a second or two before...
  3. Unable to make Cortana listen to my voice and unable to make Cortana listen to “Hey Cortana”

in Cortana
    Unable to make Cortana listen to my voice and unable to make Cortana listen to “Hey Cortana”: Hello community, I am having trouble with Cortana on my laptop because it doesn’t let me use my voice to control Cortana. I have been trying my best with Cortana’s settings and it says to adjist cloud settings. Please help me....
  4. Cortana stops listening

in Cortana
    Cortana stops listening: Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows 10 64 bit. All Windows updates are in place. Problem is that Cortana stops listening after a fraction of a second and says that she did not hear anything. Microphone works OK with Zoom and other programs. Regards, Barry...
  5. Why Cortana not listen to me?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why Cortana not listen to me?: I try to say something to her but she doesn't listen to me, help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cortana-not-listen-to-me/9c96098a-f72b-4316-bc3e-40fa3326e28e
  6. mouse pointer

mouse pointer: I was changing my mouse pointer color and now there is this irritating blue square floating around on the screen. How do I get rid of it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-pointer/33a2163f-e214-4004-bcff-3013b2638f93
  7. Cortana Not Listening

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cortana Not Listening: [ATTACH] So all of a sudden, Cortana can't wake up when I say "Cortana" went to check it out, and this popped up. I've tried all Diagnostics, they just keep loading.... pls help. Oh, and my laptops microphone array works just fine when I click to open Cortana and click the...
  8. mouse pointer

mouse pointer: how can i get the mouse pointer to snap to e.g. [OK] in a choice situation? or to YES or to NO etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-pointer/f788a716-5532-47c4-aa43-2bc394a641b4
  9. Mouse pointer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse pointer: The pointer is fixed in the middle of the screen,touchpad/left & right buttons not working. Can anybody help please ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-pointer/0dfd6cfb-a9cb-450e-924e-8bc8745d590e
  10. Cortana Hangs While Listening

in Cortana
    Cortana Hangs While Listening: [ATTACH] Cortana simply hangs when in this screen (when it is supposed to listen to me). This screen can be opened by clicking the Cortana icon on the taskbar or by saying 'Hey Cortana'. Cortana is not able to listen to anything I say. This screen simply closes after being...