Windows 10: Mouse randomly clicks all by itself

Discus and support Mouse randomly clicks all by itself in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 on a Lenovo T460s laptop. The laptop has recently developed this strange problem with the mouse. It's very similar to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jjacallen, Oct 30, 2020.

1. jjacallen Win User

Mouse randomly clicks all by itself

I'm running Windows 10 on a Lenovo T460s laptop. The laptop has recently developed this strange problem with the mouse. It's very similar to the problem described in this ticket:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/cursor-clicks-on-things-randomly-all-by-itself/878e0f10-ee01-449e-afc5-eb657af3d642

The issue reproduces no matter what mouse I use:
    • Logitech bluetooth mouse
    • Logitech wireless USB dongle mouse
    • Microsoft Comfort wired USB mouse
    • The Machine's touchpad
    Steps I've taken to troubleshoot the issue:

• I disabled the touchpad
    • I uninstalled Logitech software which was recommended by Logitech for the bluetooth mouse
    • I updated the driver for the touchpad it was already up to date
    • I tried a clean boot according to the MS support instructions
    • Bought a new mouse
    • Changed touchpad sensitivity to "low"
    • Uninstalled the driver for the touchpad synaptics pointing device - weirdly, when I restarted there was a new device listed in the device manager called "PS/2 compatible mouse" and the touchpad now works again, and I can no longer find the setting to disable it. So, that's strange. But apparently it's now using a Microsoft driver, which was the next thing to try - installing MS generic driver...

I'll try to describe the behavior a little better than the other ticket:

The cursor randomly left-clicks and holds. If I move the mouse when this happens, it drags whatever the cursor was on or it selects text, exactly as if I were holding the left mouse button. It randomly releases, too. Sometimes, it lasts only for a quick second, but sometimes it really gets stuck. When it is stuck, right-clicking usually releases it so I can continue working. Left-clicking doesn't help, I can left-click repeatedly and it doesn't release, when I use the touchpad buttons or the USB mouse buttons. Keyboard actions also don't have any effect on the behavior, as far as I can tell.

:)

jjacallen, Oct 30, 2020
  2. Roohi_Taj Win User

Mouse started double clicking on single click file randomly.

Hi KathZ,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you please help me with the below questions:

• Which version of Windows you are using? (To check, type: winver in start menu and hit enter.)
    • Does this issue occur on a different mouse?

This issue happens, if there is mouse/hardware issue or it can be settings issue. I would suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps as mentioned below:

Method 1: Restore the defaults.

1. Press Windows
      and E key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Go to View tab on the top.
    3. Click on Options > Click on Change folder and Search options.
    4. Click on Restore Defaults.
      Click on Apply and Ok.

Method 2: Change the Mouse settings.

1. Click on the Settings icon from the start menu.
    2. Click on Devices > Click on Mouse from the left panel of the window.
    3. Click on Additional Mouse Options from the right pane.
    4. This will open the Mouse Properties window, go to Buttons tab.
    5. Under the Double click speed, drag the slider to the left to slow down the double click speed.
    6. Next, go to Pointer options tab, uncheck the "Enhance Pointer Precision" to
      disable pointer precision to slow down the mouse.

For more information, I would suggest you to follow the
    steps
    provided in the post on 'Windows 10 mouse has started double clicking on single click randomly'.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Oct 30, 2020
  3. Mark Isi Win User
    Mouse randomly clicking?

Thanks for following up. Based on the information you provided, the first thing that I can suggest to you is the hardware and Devices troubleshooter. Here are the steps:

• Type Troubleshooting in the Cortana Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click View All.
    • From the list of troubleshooters, click Hardware and Devices
      to run the troubleshooter.

Once done, please let us know the outcome, or if you come up with any error message so we can further investigate.

If the issue still persists, I suggest that you uninstall and reinstall drivers from the manufacturer's website manually. See
    How to find and download drivers from the manufacturers website
    section of this article from
    Andre Da Costa for more information and steps. Make sure that you choose the most stable driver for your mouse, even if it is not the latest version, and see how it goes.

Keep us on the loop for updates regarding this case.

Mark Isi, Oct 30, 2020
  4. Mouse randomly clicks all by itself

hama compact mouse randomly right clicks

Get no script

eidairaman1, Oct 30, 2020
Thema:

Mouse randomly clicks all by itself

1. Mouse randomly clicks all by itself - Similar Threads - Mouse randomly clicks

2. My mouse click randomly lock itself on windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My mouse click randomly lock itself on windows 11: Current version of windows 11 : Hello,After randomly pressing keys on my keyboard for fun. My mouse click ONLY started to lock itself, for example during this period, I am not unable to open an already existing tab on google but I am able to create a new one for example, I am...
  3. My mouse click randomly lock itself on windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My mouse click randomly lock itself on windows 11: Current version of windows 11 : Hello,After randomly pressing keys on my keyboard for fun. My mouse click ONLY started to lock itself, for example during this period, I am not unable to open an already existing tab on google but I am able to create a new one for example, I am...
  4. Cursor clicks on things randomly all by itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cursor clicks on things randomly all by itself: Doesnt matter if a mouse is plugged in or not - my laptop just does left clicks randomly. dont know when it started. Win10 - fully updated, cant find any newer touchpad drivers....
  5. Cursor clicks on things randomly all by itself

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cursor clicks on things randomly all by itself: Doesnt matter if a mouse is plugged in or not - my laptop just does left clicks randomly. dont know when it started. Win10 - fully updated, cant find any newer touchpad drivers....
  6. Cursor clicks on things randomly all by itself

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Mouse left-click randomly minimizes all applications

Mouse left-click randomly minimizes all applications: I've recently bought a new mouse and am having an issue with it: the left-click of the mouse, whether it's just a click or when used in dragging, sometimes minimizes all application windows, seemingly at random. I haven't found anyone else with the same problem and am pretty...
  8. Mouse clicks randomly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse clicks randomly: Last night and currently, my wireless mouse has been randomly clicking. It only really happens in Chrome. Tested with edge and a few games as well as desktop. Nothing seems to happen. But when I use chrome it just clicks randomly. I tried checking for viruses using defender...
  9. random mouse button clicks

random mouse button clicks: random mouse button clicks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/random-mouse-button-clicks/98d1dbfe-2154-4d17-a708-d7fa3ee5a8d3
  10. Mouse randomly double-clicking on single click

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse randomly double-clicking on single click: Hi there. I have a generic logitech mouse and since I moved to Windows 10, it's been behaving really weirdly. I am not sure if its the issue with the mouse or is it due to something on Windows 10. When I click on an icon on the desktop with a single click, it sometimes...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Mouse keeps randomly holding left button