Windows 10: Mouse scroll button opens Windows Start menu when clicked

Discus and support Mouse scroll button opens Windows Start menu when clicked in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I understand that this is some sort of a hotkey which opens up the start menu but I would like to disable it. I've tried to go into control panel,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ronedog, Jan 3, 2017.

1. ronedog Win User

Mouse scroll button opens Windows Start menu when clicked

I understand that this is some sort of a hotkey which opens up the start menu but I would like to disable it.

I've tried to go into control panel, mouse settings, wheel, etc, and after poking around everywhere in the settings I wasn't able to find the settings that controlled the mouse wheel button.

Can anyone tell me how I can do so?

Thank you.

:)

ronedog, Jan 3, 2017
  2. VroDAX Win User

Feedback: All Apps Start menu does not scroll properly when folder is expanded

I would like to report a bug in the scrollbar handling for the All Apps list in the Start Menu. When you expand one or more folders in the All Apps list the scrollbar does not track the mouse properly.

Duplication steps:

In the Start Menu click All Apps

Scroll down to the Windows Accessories folder and click on it to expand it.

Now, using the mouse, click and hold on the scrollbar button then scroll back and forth to the top and bottom of the list.

The mouse does not stay on the scrollbar as you scroll. In order to scroll all the way to the top or the bottom. You have to release the mouse button and click and hold again to scroll all the way to either end.

Most likely this occurs because the scollbar maximum property is not properly set when folders are expanded.

VroDAX, Jan 3, 2017
  3. BjornL86 Win User
    Mouse click fails to select Windows 10 Start, taskbar, and sidebar options

Upon install of Windows 10, both my wireless mouse and my laptop touchpad buttons intermittently fail to click on items in the taskbar, Start menu, sidebar, or in the calendar when it opens.

I sometimes gain some success when I use control-alt-delete, and then tab to the cancel button and hit enter. I also sometimes gain success upon restarting my laptop. After a few minutes or after opening Google Chrome or other programs the mouse fails to
    select the options again.

I can use the mouse to select the start menu icon, or some of the taskbar icons, but none of the sidebar information, and none of the Start menu items.

Start menu will scroll with the mouse-wheel, and once I have used the keyboard to tab through the Start menu and open the All Apps, I can scroll down through the list, but I can't select anything with left or right mouse clicks.

If I use the keyboard to open the File Explorer, I can use the mouse clicks to select the files because they open in a separate window.

Save the mouse clicks issue, I can access and use all my programs and I can access and use all my systems. All drivers are up to date and a clean install hasn't worked to fix the problem. Microsoft mouse or Dell touch-pad buttons, nothing has worked to consistently
    fix the problem and prevent it from returning.

The real frustration is needing to switch back and forth with Cortana on and off when I head to class. I like Cortana, but she listens too much and tends to interrupt me when I am typing because the teacher said something that electronically must sound like
    "Hey Cortana". Having to tab through the Start button options to reach Cortana's off button is getting really old, really fast.

I found one other person with the same issue as what I had so far on a different forum:

Mouse won't click on Windows 10 start menu and other things - [Solved] - Windows 10

BjornL86, Jan 3, 2017
  4. Mouse scroll button opens Windows Start menu when clicked

Welcome to the TenForums

In my case, using Logitech Mouse this is set in the Logitech software. (at least mine). You didn't mention, what kind of mouse you have?

If Logitech then you should have a Logitech icon in Systray.

If you have a specific brand then their software likely controls. Without software windows may just be defaulting.

Caledon Ken, Jan 3, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    On my laptop it's called Asus Gesture Control and there is an icon for it in the Systray.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Mouse scroll button opens Windows Start menu when clicked

1. Mouse scroll button opens Windows Start menu when clicked - Similar Threads - Mouse scroll button

2. Folders/Files on the desktop won't open when clicking the mouse scroll button.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folders/Files on the desktop won't open when clicking the mouse scroll button.: Folders/Files on the desktop won't open when clicking the mouse scroll button. They open when left clicking the left mouse button. Folders NOT on the desktop do open when using the mouse scroll button. I have windows 11 pro 22H2 installed on my machine.I have checked the...
  3. Folders/Files on the desktop won't open when clicking the mouse scroll button.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folders/Files on the desktop won't open when clicking the mouse scroll button.: Folders/Files on the desktop won't open when clicking the mouse scroll button. They open when left clicking the left mouse button. Folders NOT on the desktop do open when using the mouse scroll button. I have windows 11 pro 22H2 installed on my machine.I have checked the...
  4. left mouse button keeps on auto scrolling when clicked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    left mouse button keeps on auto scrolling when clicked: this problem happened yesterday https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/left-mouse-button-keeps-on-auto-scrolling-when/ad1d116a-fc1e-4b76-8ac0-4b046e8f8acc
  5. left mouse button keeps on auto scrolling when clicked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    left mouse button keeps on auto scrolling when clicked: this problem happened yesterday https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/left-mouse-button-keeps-on-auto-scrolling-when/ad1d116a-fc1e-4b76-8ac0-4b046e8f8acc
  6. left mouse button keeps on auto scrolling when clicked

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Open Windows 10 start menu on mouse click not on release?

in Windows 10 Support
    Open Windows 10 start menu on mouse click not on release?: is it possible to tweak Windows 10 to open the start menu on mouse click not on release? Like Windows 7 148163
  8. Start menu, settings button and some 'searches' not opening when clicked

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu, settings button and some 'searches' not opening when clicked: Hi, I am having a problem with my surface 3 laptop I press the start button and type 'updates' , and best match is 'Check for Updates'. I try to click it and nothing happens. If I type, for example ' edge', best match, 'Microsoft Edge Browser' and I click on it, the...
  9. start button right click menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    start button right click menu: when I right click on the start button, nothing happens, no menu. Also, when I start windows, I get this error: This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows". The two things happened about the same time, not sure if...
  10. Fix for Mouse not scrolling in start menu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Fix for Mouse not scrolling in start menu: Following the last windows update I had an issue where my Logitech Mouse (actually Mice, I tried more than one *Wink ) would not scroll correctly in the Start menu area. The scrolling worked everywhere else that I tried and actually worked if I pointed the mouse at the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. prevent scroll when user clicks on menu