Windows 10: Mouse scroll number of lines setting doesn't change trackpad scroll on HP Envy 13

Discus and support Mouse scroll number of lines setting doesn't change trackpad scroll on HP Envy 13 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello. I am using a new HP envy 13, and am trying to change the scroll speed settings of the trackpad. I have always done that with the usual... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sw2858, Dec 3, 2019.

1. sw2858 Win User

Mouse scroll number of lines setting doesn't change trackpad scroll on HP Envy 13

Hello. I am using a new HP envy 13, and am trying to change the scroll speed settings of the trackpad. I have always done that with the usual setting: Mouse scroll number of lines setting doesn't change trackpad scroll on HP Envy 13 411223d2-4951-4006-b36d-befc8cff535b?upload=true.png

But on this new device, the trackpad scrolling doesn't respond at all to changes in this setting. The scroll speed remains the same.

• I tried plugging in a real mouse, and the real mouse scroll did respond to changes in this setting
    • I tried updating the synaptics precision touchpad drivers, and it says it's already up to date
    • I tried changing other settings in mouse/touchpad, such as tap to click and mouse cursor speed, and the trackpad does respond to those changes

Otherwise the trackpad seems to be working fine. I couldn't really find any threads on google search describing this same issue. I bought this device online and have not tried any other envy devices in-person yet. I would appreciate if anybody has some thoughts on this.

Thanks.

:)

sw2858, Dec 3, 2019

2. Precision Trackpad Scrolling Broken Since Creators Update

This is a revival of
    this thread
    . It was locked for an unknown reason, despite the issue clearly still being relevant.

Ever since over a year ago when the initial Creators Update dropped, scrolling on precision trackpads has been a hot mess. The effects of the update include:

• Certain applications experience extreme stutter while scrolling with a precision trackpad(example). The graphics seem to only update when
      there is a decent break in between scroll events.
    • Applications such as Windows Explorer, Notepad, Notepad++, etc that would have normally scrolled line-by-line at a fast rate now scroll several lines at a time(depending on the value in Settings>Devices>Mouse) at a slow rate. This leads to much less precise
      scroll that you would expect from a precision trackpad. Windows Explorer has since been specifically fixed in the Fall Creators Update, but all other applications are left in the dust.

It's been said that the reason for these issues is due to precision trackpads now using mouse scroll events, in contrast to the previous method of directly manipulating scrollbars just as touchscreens do. While it does seem to make sense to use actual scroll
    events, the previous method of scrolling provided a vastly better experience.

This thread is meant to be both a question and a suggestion. The suggestion being to revert back to the old method of scrolling. The question being, is there any (even hacky) method to restore old precision trackpad scrolling functionality? It's been over
    a year now, and it's been thoroughly frustrating to not have any fix for this.

Brett Butcher, Dec 3, 2019
  3. Trackpad Scrolling Problems In Creators Update

I love the Creators Update-- it has a good amount of features that are applicable for me on my Surface Pro 4. However, trackpad scrolling has just been completely obliterated. It's really been a nightmare. Here's the problems I'm experiencing:

• Scrolling in applications that support smooth scrolling have been slowed down to about half the speed, resulting in too slow of a speed. In order to offset this loss, I must set the number of lines scrolled to a higher number, but now applications that
      don't support smooth scrolling go way too fast!

Someone told me on Reddit that previous to the Creators Update, trackpad scrolling directly manipulated scroll bars on legacy applications. Now, mouse scroll events are sent to the application. This explains another problem-- applications that don't support
      horizontal scrolling don't scroll horizontally any longer. The previous method of scrolling really provided a better experience. Is there any way to revert to the old ways?
    • Some Java applications(Eclipse and IntelliJ confirmed) have super glitchy trackpad scrolling(I assume due to the previous point). While you moving your fingers on the trackpad, some of the graphics freezes up. Using a mouse to scroll or flinging on a trackpad
      does not produce this issue. Here's
      a gif
      of what's going on. I'm thinking that the problem is a flood of events, thus preventing repainting. I don't know what the source code of Eclipse looks like, but that's just my idea. Perhaps I'll run a profiler later to see just how many events are
      firing.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Brett Butcher, Dec 3, 2019
  4. GibbyGraf Win User

Mouse scroll number of lines setting doesn't change trackpad scroll on HP Envy 13

Trackpad scrolling pattern

Usually when I am scrolling with the trackpad, the window will keep scrolling for as long as I am moving my fingers. Then sometimes it will switch and it will only scroll a certain number of lines until I let go, at which point it will sort of free scroll
    for a second or until I touch the trackpad again.

Are there two different modes for scrolling? How do I switch back to the first mode? It seems to switch randomly.

GibbyGraf, Dec 3, 2019
Thema:

1. Mouse scroll number of lines setting doesn't change trackpad scroll on HP Envy 13 - Similar Threads - Mouse scroll number

2. Feature Request: Change Mouse & Trackpad Scroll Direction?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Feature Request: Change Mouse & Trackpad Scroll Direction?: Hello,As a Designer I work very often with both Windows and MacBooks devices and there's a big difference between the Mouse Scroll direction on the platforms. MacOS does offer an option to change the scroll direction from "Natural" to what windows use - which is un-natural,...
  3. Feature Request: Change Mouse & Trackpad Scroll Direction?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Feature Request: Change Mouse & Trackpad Scroll Direction?: Hello,As a Designer I work very often with both Windows and MacBooks devices and there's a big difference between the Mouse Scroll direction on the platforms. MacOS does offer an option to change the scroll direction from "Natural" to what windows use - which is un-natural,...
  4. Feature Request: Change Mouse & Trackpad Scroll Direction?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Mouse Wheel Scroll Settings

Mouse Wheel Scroll Settings: My master volume is being controlled by the mouse wheel scroll. This prevents me from scrolling any windows or menu lists or changing the zoom ratio in every browser I have tried. How do I change this?...
  6. Mouse scroll setting keeps changing

Mouse scroll setting keeps changing: I prefer to keep my mouse scroll set to 3 lines in my windows 10 desktop. But the system randomly increases it to something like 11 or 19. I bring it back to 3. But it does not stay more than a few hours. Please help. This is what Windows does: [ATTACH] I change it back...
  7. Scrolling Does Not Work With Mouse, Trackpad, or Arrows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Scrolling Does Not Work With Mouse, Trackpad, or Arrows: My windows 10 version is 1809. I developed a problem where I can't scroll. It just keeps going down but if I try to scroll up it will race back down again. This happens with the USB mouse, as well as when using the arrow on the trackpad by clicking it near the top of the...
  8. Trackpad scrolling pattern

Trackpad scrolling pattern: Usually when I am scrolling with the trackpad, the window will keep scrolling for as long as I am moving my fingers. Then sometimes it will switch and it will only scroll a certain number of lines until I let go, at which point it will sort of free scroll for a second or...
  9. Mouse Scroll issues after December update. Continuous scrolling. Changed mouse settings to...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Mouse Scroll issues after December update. Continuous scrolling. Changed mouse settings to...: Something in Windows Update in Dec. changed scrolling on my Windows 10/Toshiba laptop. I've tried changing mouse settings, the scrolling options, as mentioned in prior forums, but nothing has worked. My only fix last month was to uninstall the Dec update. There must be...
  10. Mouse scroll not working in settings

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse scroll not working in settings: Mouse wheel works everywhere except in PC Settings. I have uninstalled drive, flipped the Scroll inactive window's switch and got Firefox so tired from searching that it left home. I read a post from a MS developer saying that the intentionally change the mouse attributes;...