Windows 10: Mouse scrolls uncontrollably

Discus and support Mouse scrolls uncontrollably in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; A few days ago my mouse starting scrolling drop-down menus on its own. I have also discovered it will sometimes scroll the left panel in file explorer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jeff 406, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Jeff 406 Win User

Mouse scrolls uncontrollably

A few days ago my mouse starting scrolling drop-down menus on its own. I have also discovered it will sometimes scroll the left panel in file explorer and on some menus such as the Programs and Features application list. I've now noticed that drop-down boxes will only flash open making them unusable. I did not change any setting before this issue started. I have confirmed the settings are identical to the settings on computers that do not have this issue.

The is not a hardware issue; this is not a driver issue yes I checked for updates, yes I uninstalled, yes I reinstalled; everything worked fine for a year on this computer until the last few days; I suspect a Windows 10 update caused this; I have tried to uninstall the recent updates, but one of them will not uninstall KB4577670; this did not solve the problem, nor did reinstalling those updates KB4576754, KB4580980, KB4577671.

I have tried several mice, both wired and bluetooth with these same results; additionally, these mice work fine on other computers. The main mouse is a Logitech MX Vertical with 3 bluetooth connections; it works fine on the other two machines it is connected to. I changed no settings from when the scroll worked fine for a year until it just acted up.

I have tried a few of the other suggestions when making mouse scrolling issue searches and these do not solve the problem.

I run an AMD if that contributes?

:)

Jeff 406, Oct 21, 2020
  2. teJASafe Win User

Scrolling uncontrollable

Scrolling has gone haywire on my PC. Lists scroll uncontrollably. No button on my mouse has any effect. It does not work on this page. I have Windows 10 but I cannot select that version below because the drop down menus do not work. The menu flickers
    on but disappears before I can click on an item. I have to type in a letter to see if something is available.

teJASafe, Oct 21, 2020
  3. klfmkd Win User
    Uncontrollable Scrolling

After the most recent Windows 10 update I now experience odd moments of uncontrollable scrolling. Anywhere in the settings app, if the page can be scrolled down it will scroll down to the bottom even after resizing the window. In the task manager, the
    Details and Services tabs will begin scrolling to the bottom but no other tab. In Firefox, if I hold down control the screen will begin to shrink the text. Before I log in using my PIN, the start screen will repeatedly attempt to slide up and disappear before
    showing the input box for the PIN, I have to press enter on the keyboard to actually get the box to show up as no mouse input will get past the repeated scrolling of the start screen. I have determined a few things are not the cause:

1. Unplugging my mouse and keyboard and plugging them back in does nothing
    2. Restarting or shutting down does nothing
    3. Placing my mouse in a different USB port does nothing
    4. Websites that test your mouse and keyboard to show if they are sending out signals show neither device is sending a signal (such as a broken scrollwheel)
    5. In the Settings App, under Devices, Mouse, enabling or disabling the option "Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them" does nothing
    6. Also in the Settings App, if the right side of the app can be scrolled and the left side cannot, the right side will only scroll while my mouse is hovering over it an the Settings window is the active window. If I have another app as the active window
      nothing will scroll meaning the scrolling is limited to whatever window is currently active.
    7. All of these problems persist even in Safe Mode.
    It seems clear to me that the problem is directly related to the operating system and I'd really like to know what is causing this scrolling behavior as resetting or reformatting my PC is a nuclear option that's ridiculously unacceptable for a problem caused
    by a Windows update.

Thanks

klfmkd, Oct 21, 2020
  4. Mouse scrolls uncontrollably

Cursor scrolls uncontrollably.

This is a recent happening. I have no idea how it came about. I start the computer, and as soon as I place the cursor to type (applications, search boxes, etc.) it scrolls by itself to whatever boundary the placement has. I looked this up and found this discussion. Uncontrollable scrolling on windows 10 - December 2019 - Forums - CNET
    Other than restore or reset, I've done several of the "fixes" listed. (Latest drivers, etc.) The only thing that worked is logging out, and back in. But this fix is temporary. Restarting the machine brings it back, and I have to Log Out/In again to stop it. This makes no sense. Any ideas how to rectify this short of reinstalling windows?

Machine is a MSI GS75 Stealth 9SF
    Win 10 Home
    16gb RAM
    i7-9750H
    nVidia RTX2070

CalypsoArt, Oct 21, 2020
Thema:

Mouse scrolls uncontrollably

1. Mouse scrolls uncontrollably - Similar Threads - Mouse scrolls uncontrollably

2. uncontrol scrolling

in Windows 10 Gaming
    uncontrol scrolling: I have a laptop and today it is acting weird. Everytime I browse it will sometimes scroll on its own. I check if it is happening in office application and yes the scroll just went down on its own. I observe if there is something installed on my device and I even run some...
  3. uncontrol scrolling

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    uncontrol scrolling: I have a laptop and today it is acting weird. Everytime I browse it will sometimes scroll on its own. I check if it is happening in office application and yes the scroll just went down on its own. I observe if there is something installed on my device and I even run some...
  4. uncontrol scrolling

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Scrolling Uncontrollably

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Scrolling Uncontrollably: My computer seems to scrolling uncontrollably, but not scrolling at the same time. Here are the syptoms: It only scroll uncontrollably on the taskbar and address bar and tabs on search engine and similar program that have button on top like ms word, It doesn't scroll up...
  6. Scrolling uncontrollable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Scrolling uncontrollable: Scrolling has gone haywire on my PC. Lists scroll uncontrollably. No button on my mouse has any effect. It does not work on this page. I have Windows 10 but I cannot select that version below because the drop down menus do not work. The menu flickers on but disappears...
  7. Uncontrollable Scrolling

in Windows 10 Customization
    Uncontrollable Scrolling: After the most recent Windows 10 update I now experience odd moments of uncontrollable scrolling. Anywhere in the settings app, if the page can be scrolled down it will scroll down to the bottom even after resizing the window. In the task manager, the Details and Services...
  8. Uncontrollable scrolling not linked to mouse [Details in comments]

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Uncontrollable scrolling not linked to mouse [Details in comments]: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/youvegotpride [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/flvzbr/uncontrollable_scrolling_not_linked_to_mouse/
  9. Cursor scrolls uncontrollably.

in Windows 10 Support
    Cursor scrolls uncontrollably.: This is a recent happening. I have no idea how it came about. I start the computer, and as soon as I place the cursor to type (applications, search boxes, etc.) it scrolls by itself to whatever boundary the placement has. I looked this up and found this discussion....
  10. Scrolling is uncontrolable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Scrolling is uncontrolable: Hello ! I have a terrible problem , It's been a week since i first saw this problem , whenever I scroll down it goes up a few lines and when I scroll up it goes down a few lines and it is hard th scroll up or down or in games to zoom in or out. If some one can help me I...