Windows 10: mouse will not click and hold

Discus and support mouse will not click and hold in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Something has changed in the last few days. The proper function of the mouse is to click once to place the cursor. Click twice to select a word and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by GalenBarnaby, Apr 7, 2019.

1. mouse will not click and hold

Something has changed in the last few days. The proper function of the mouse is to click once to place the cursor. Click twice to select a word and click three times to select the paragraph.
    What it is doing, if I click once it selects a word as if I clicked it twice.

If I right click a youtube video and attempt to open in a new tab the mouse appears to unclick the click giving the result of opening the new tab followed by opening the video in the current tab.

If I got am working on on a jigsaw puzzle, I click and hold on a piece to drag it, the mouse will drop the piece as is I unclicked the mouse and may pick up another piece

This happens in Edge, Internet Explorer and Firefox, but is not an issue on Microsoft Word.

:)

GalenBarnaby, Apr 7, 2019

2. Computer does not recognize mouse hold

Yes, I have tried such tests before. And no, it doesn't work that way for me. As far as the computer is concerned, I never used the right-button on the icon; it only knows that my mouse is not currently above any icon and registered my 'release' as the click, thus giving me the basic 'view', 'sort by', and 'refresh' menu. The options your suggesting don't exist, because the computer didn't register me 'selecting' the icon in the first place before dragging.

The same test is valid for all the other functions I've mentioned. If the right mouse button was working like it was supposed to, I'd be able to use any basic right-button-hold function in any game I play, but I can't in any of them, because the computer doesn't know I'm holding the button down.

PaulAsaran, Apr 7, 2019
  3. Mouse

Hi Daryl,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

I understand your concern and would suggest you to try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking. Here is the steps:

• Press and hold the shift key while clicking on
      Restart
      at the login Screen (Bottom right corner) > Troubleshoot>Advanced Options>
      Startup Settings> Restart >>Choose Enable Safe mode with networking.

If the mouse works, then update the Mouse driver. Here is the steps:

• Press Windows+X key on your desktop and select
      Device Manager.

• Locate the mouse drivers, expand, right click and click
      on Update.
    If it doesn’t help, then I would suggest you to
    uninstall and re-install the Mouse drivers
    in compatibility mode
    . Here is the steps:

• Go to your manufacturer’s website
      and download the Driver’s setup file for your computer.
    • Press Windows Key + R on your desktop screen to go to run box.
    • Type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
    • Under Driver, expand, then right click and select
      Uninstall.
    • If you are prompted to Confirm then Confirm.
    • Go to the location where you had saved your downloaded setup files of the drivers and
      right click, then select Properties.
    • Select Compatibility Tab.
    • Place a check mark next to Run this program in Compatibility mode and select the operating system accordingly from the drop down list.
    • Let the driver to install and then check the functionality.
    Keep us informed about the status of the issue and let us know if you need further assistance and we’ll be happy to help you.

Navneet Anand, Apr 7, 2019
  4. Pavan_N Win User

mouse will not click and hold

Mouse lag

Hi Zbigniew,

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have tried to resolve the issue. I suggest you to install all pending Windows updates and check. Follow the steps below and check if that helps.

• Type Mouse and Touchpad Setting in Search and hit
      Enter.
    • Change settings as per your requirement; click on Advance mouse options.
    • Change settings under Buttons, Points, Pointer options, Wheel.

Do let us know the performance to mouse. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Apr 7, 2019
Thema:

mouse will not click and hold

1. mouse will not click and hold - Similar Threads - mouse click hold

2. When holding down left click on mouse it repeats clicking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When holding down left click on mouse it repeats clicking: I've started to notice that my mouse keeps on clicking when I hold my left mouse button down and I've tried to troubleshoot it but I have not gotten anywhere near the issue. What's wrong?!...
  3. When holding down left click on mouse it repeats clicking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When holding down left click on mouse it repeats clicking: I've started to notice that my mouse keeps on clicking when I hold my left mouse button down and I've tried to troubleshoot it but I have not gotten anywhere near the issue. What's wrong?!...
  4. When holding down left click on mouse it repeats clicking

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Parkinsons can not hold mouse still and click button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Parkinsons can not hold mouse still and click button: I have a client with Parkinsons and anxiety who has the shakes.She can use a mouse to position, but can not click without moving the mouse.Is there any way to remap the number pad keys to use a single keypress to choose a click action ie, single left, double click left, right...
  6. Parkinsons can not hold mouse still and click button

Parkinsons can not hold mouse still and click button: I have a client with Parkinsons and anxiety who has the shakes.She can use a mouse to position, but can not click without moving the mouse.Is there any way to remap the number pad keys to use a single keypress to choose a click action ie, single left, double click left, right...
  7. Cannot move mouse while holding right-click

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot move mouse while holding right-click: When I hold the right-click button, the cursor doesn't want to move sometimes it works fine, sometimes it moves a bit, but at other times it just doesn't move at allDoes anyone know a solution?Thanks in advance!...
  8. Cannot move mouse while holding right-click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot move mouse while holding right-click: When I hold the right-click button, the cursor doesn't want to move sometimes it works fine, sometimes it moves a bit, but at other times it just doesn't move at allDoes anyone know a solution?Thanks in advance!...
  9. Cannot move mouse while holding right-click

10. Mouse double clicking and releasing button holds itself

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse double clicking and releasing button holds itself: My Logitech G304 mouse has started to double clicking and also whenever I hold down the mouse buttons it releases them quickly. This also happened to my last mouse. I started playing a lot of CS recently so I don't know if it's related to that. Is it common and are there...