Windows 10: Mouse won't right click on start

Discus and support Mouse won't right click on start in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is on an ACER laptop. Fresh install (not upgrade) and activation of WIN 10 Pro. The mouse (or external USB mouse) won't work using right click... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by okrobie, May 1, 2017.

1. okrobie Win User

Mouse won't right click on start

This is on an ACER laptop. Fresh install (not upgrade) and activation of WIN 10 Pro. The mouse (or external USB mouse) won't work using right click over the start icon. It will right click anywhere else, on the other parts of the taskbar, on the desktop, in apps...everywhere else. I re-installed the mouse drivers. Anyone got any ideas?

:)

okrobie, May 1, 2017

2. Right mouse click on Start Button, then left mouse click doesn't work

If I right mouse click on the Windows 10 start button and then attempt to left mouse click on the displayed items, only the bottom 4 launch. Desktop, Shutdown or sign up, Run, Search all will launch. From File Explorer up to Programs and Features will
    not. Nothing happens!

I have contacted MS Support and we've created a new profile (problem remains in new profile), did an in-place upgrade (problem remained afterwards), nothing has resolved it.

Not sure what else to try at this point. Haven't come across any other anomalies using my mouse. It's a Microsoft wireless 2 button scroll wheel mouse. Seems to work fine everywhere else I've tried.

Thoughts? Things to try?

Thanks!!!

mekelly999, May 1, 2017
  3. Darshan J Win User
    Right mouse click on Start Button, then left mouse click doesn't work

Hi Kelly,

Appreciate your effort in troubleshooting the issue.

Since you have already created user account and in place upgrade and since the issue still persists. The next available option is to perform an fresh installation of Windows 10 using media creation tool.

Download the Media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10

Hopefully this should help you to resolve your issue.

Darshan J, May 1, 2017
  4. jl2509 Win User

Does Win+X show the context menu?

jl2509, May 1, 2017
  5. okrobie Win User
    Thank you jl2509, that is a great question. No, the context menu does not come up.

Welcome to the board. With insite like that, you have a great future here.

okrobie, May 1, 2017
  6. jl2509 Win User
    1. Have you changed any registry settings to remove shorcut arrows on the desktop shortcuts?
    if so you would need to undo the registry settings made

if not, try...

2. Starting a new instance of explorer from the task manager...
    Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc, click on “File” at the top of the window. From the menu, click on “New Task (Run)” and type “explorer” in the next window.

if this does not help ...

3. Replace all the folders in the folder WinX "AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX"
    These are listed as Group1, Group2 and Group3
    Copy from another windows 10 machine. To do this you would need to log in as another user or admin and replace in your profile.

HTH

jl2509, May 1, 2017
  7. jl2509 Win User
    I forgot to add that you may need to kill the explorer task first to ensure explorer restarts.
    To do this, run powershell in admin mode and type taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
    enter this and you should get a black screen !

then type start explorer.exe
    Enter

HTH

jl2509, May 1, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Another (perhaps more convenient) way is to use Task Manager. On the Processes tab find 'Windows Explorer', right-click on it and select 'End task'. The advantage of using Task Manager is that it can be used in place of Explorer to launch any app you want, including Explorer itself. Use Task Manager's 'File > Run new task' and type in what you want (cmd.exe for a prompt, Explorer.exe to re-start the desktop, etc.). It can also browse for the app you want.

Bree, May 1, 2017
  9. jl2509 Win User
    I find that runing task manager does not kill the explorer process like powershell
    Give it a try from taskmanager !

jl2509, May 1, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    I have. It does.

Mouse won't right click on start [​IMG]

11. jl2509 Win User
    but it does not kill the explorer !
    Windows explorer is still open when you click end task?
    try the powershell option instead to see the difference...

jl2509, May 1, 2017
  12. jl2509 Win User
    but it may be an issue here, I have the creators update installed and have identified several issues. This may be another !

jl2509, May 1, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

So have I (15063.250) but this isn't one of the issues. Using End Task in my Task Manager kills my desktop and leaves no trace of Windows Explorer in the Processes tab under Apps, Background processes or Windows processes. Nor does explorer.exe appear anywhere on the Details tab. Where do you see evidence that explorer is still open?

14. jl2509 Win User
    the fact that you can browse the taskmanager with the exploere porocess ended?

jl2509, May 1, 2017
  15. jl2509 Win User
    Do you get a black screen when you end explorer?

If not, it is still running

run powershell in admin mode and type taskkill /f /im explorer.exe

you will see the difference

jl2509, May 1, 2017
Thema:

1. Mouse won't right click on start - Similar Threads - Mouse won't right

2. right click of mouse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    right click of mouse: HiMy Windows 11 restarts Windows Explorer when I right click https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-click-of-mouse/736234a2-1dff-4a29-85d3-50d469695400
  3. right click of mouse

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    right click of mouse: HiMy Windows 11 restarts Windows Explorer when I right click https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-click-of-mouse/736234a2-1dff-4a29-85d3-50d469695400
  4. Right Mouse Click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right Mouse Click: Hi, I'm used to right-clicking while installing a program and then AS Administrator to run the installation.Now when I click on my right mouse button in Windows 11, the program always disappears?Can anything be done about this, please?...
  5. Right Mouse Click

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right Mouse Click: Hi, I'm used to right-clicking while installing a program and then AS Administrator to run the installation.Now when I click on my right mouse button in Windows 11, the program always disappears?Can anything be done about this, please?...
  6. Mouse won't click

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mouse won't click: I'm having a problem and can't find any solution to it anywhere. So at one point my mouse won't click. I know it's not the mouse itself, because the problem comes up with both USB, Bluetooth and touchpad at the same time. So in detail: It has 2-3 cases 1: I can click on the...
  7. Can't right click on Start, mouse cursor away from start

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't right click on Start, mouse cursor away from start: Hi, I am having an issue similar to this thread, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-right-click-windows-10-start-menu-button/4e9adee9-3e41-4338-974a-5fa4f3996524 However, I have not uninstalled some VPN applications or such. Here is a GIF the OG...
  8. Right mouse click

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Right mouse click: I have a microsoft keyboard and mouse connected via USB. The right mouse click no longer works on my mouse?? How do I fix - I have followed a number of articles but nothing has worked...
  9. Mouse Right Click

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse Right Click: The right click on my wireless Microsoft mouse does not work. Is there a setting I need to change? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-right-click/7aeebcf6-760f-4e8d-90d7-023c6e2400c6
  10. Mouse right click menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse right click menu: I cannot activate the 'New' submenu to create New folders in Desktop,Explorer and existing folders. When I Mouse right click the menu opens up (View,Sort by,Refresh etc) when I move the cursor to 'New'(to open up the submenu to create a folder) the pointer changes to the...