Windows 10: Mouse won't work in Safe Mode

Discus and support Mouse won't work in Safe Mode in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Is there any downside to performing a Repair Install? I've been stumped by an issue: my mouse will not work in Safe Mode. It works in BIOS (a UEFI... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by iamc3k, Mar 15, 2018.

1. iamc3k Win User

Mouse won't work in Safe Mode

Is there any downside to performing a Repair Install?

I've been stumped by an issue: my mouse will not work in Safe Mode. It works in BIOS (a UEFI bios); it works in WinPE rescue media; it works in Macrium Rescue media; it works in Windows 10.

I've tried selecting every USB port, to no avail. (I have a USB keyboard: using its USB port, the mouse still won't work in Safe Mode. The keyboard will work in each USB port.)

The mouse works in Safe Mode in different computer.

I don't know if this is a driver issue or a registry issue. If I perform a Repair Install, would there be a chance of a fix?

Thanks,
    Ken

:)

iamc3k, Mar 15, 2018
  2. Anne Ros Win User

Mouse and keyboard won't work in safe mode

Hi,

Safe mode starts your Windows using minimal set of drivers to help troubleshoot issues on your computer. Rebooting your computer should change it back to normal boot. However, if you entered safe mode through msconfig, then you will need a keyboard to exit
    safe mode. If your keyboard is not working, then we suggest using an external keyboard and mouse to enable exiting the safe mode.

Get back to us with the update so we can provide further assistance.

Anne Ros, Mar 15, 2018
  3. Mouse and keyboard won't work in safe mode

Thank you for posting back.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Adrianne Buc, Mar 15, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Best post a specific thread on this e.g. under Drivers. When you do, please state the type of mouse, wired or wireless etc, and what you see in Device Manager for that mouse in Safe Mode on the two PCs.s

dalchina, Mar 15, 2018
  5. .
    I'm no techie, but it looks as if you have tried all the combinations, except two (which might not be important):

1) A DIFFERENT mouse in all combinations on your normal computer.

2) Your mouse in non-safe mode on different computer.

Better safe than sorry *Smile

Thanks.

OldGrantonian, Mar 15, 2018
  6. iamc3k Win User
    I'll do that...once I find the "Drivers" thread. *Wink (BTW, due to the inability to navigate with the mouse in Safe Mode, I haven't the slightest idea how to open Device Manager in Safe Mode with that mouse.)

New thread: Mouse won't work in Safe Mode - Windows 10 Forums

1) Different mouse does work. But not ALL mice. Some do, some don't (1 of 3 work).
    2) "Bad" Mouse on a different computer works in all situations: normal use, safe mode and any other environment I can create.

Thanks.

iamc3k, Mar 15, 2018
  7. iamc3k Win User
    Folks,

I was directed over here from Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Page 72 - Windows 10 Tutorials

I have a mouse (USB, Logitech G502) which seems to work very well in Windows10, WinPE, and Macrium Rescue environment (which uses WinPE as its base). The mouse navigates in my BIOS menu, as well.

Safe Mode renders my mouse totally inoperative. There are no lights illuminated on the mouse. (It has some bling lighting on it. One of those RGB models.)

I'm running a Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 mobo with an i7-6700k at stock settings.

The mouse works fine in Safe Mode in a DIFFERENT computer.

In Safe Mode, I have tried swapping USB ports with my keyboard. The keyboard works in every USB port: the mouse works in none.

I welcome any ideas which can help resolve this.

Thanks,
    Ken

iamc3k, Mar 15, 2018
  8. Mouse won't work in Safe Mode

I'm too lazy to try, but does the touch-pad not work in Safe mode?

How about this? It's 2 years old:

How to Move Your Mouse Cursor without a Mouse

9. dalchina New Member
    Windows key + R
    control /name Microsoft.DeviceManager
    (return)
    displays Device Manager.

Mouse won't work in Safe Mode [​IMG]

dalchina, Mar 15, 2018
  10. Bree New Member
    Keyboard-only method:
    WinKey (or Ctrl+Esc) to bring up Start menu
    start typing: DEVICE MANAGER
    When it appears as 'Best match', hit Enter.

11. In Device Manager, with the highlight on "Mice and other pointing devices", how does one expand the entry?

Hitting Enter simply launches a non-helpful dialog.

Thanks.

12. f14tomcat Win User
    Shift+F10 simulates "Right Click", then Enter is same as "Left Click"

f14tomcat, Mar 15, 2018
  13. Helmut Win User

Buy a basic MS mouse. Safe Mode is when only basic drivers and files are used that will be different on each PC.
    Thus basic hardware and drivers is more likely to work.

Helmut, Mar 15, 2018
  14. Bree New Member
    To navigate a nested menu like this, use the Arrow keys. Up/Down selects items in the list, Right Arrow expand the current selection. Left Arrow backs out and collapses the list.

Works in File Explorer's navigation pane and Regedit too, and any other such menu list.

Tab can be used to cycle focus between the various parts of the app, such as the tabs, or another pane. Shift+Tab does the same, but in the reverse order.

Alt underscores a letter in each of the menu bar items Alt+(the appropriate letter) opens that menu item.

15. OK. I found it *Smile

With the highlight on "Mice and other pointing devices", right arrow expands the list, left arrow compresses the list.

Thema:

1. Mouse won't work in Safe Mode - Similar Threads - Mouse won't Safe

2. Keyboard or Mouse NOT working in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 News
    Keyboard or Mouse NOT working in Safe Mode: [IMG]Safe Mode is used to troubleshoot problems on a Windows computer. In Safe Mode, Windows loads only necessary drivers, including keyboard and mouse drivers. Problems occur if the keyboard or mouse stops working in the Safe Mode. It also makes it difficult to exit Safe...
  3. Keyboard or Mouse ONLY works in Safe Mode [Fix]

in Windows 10 News
    Keyboard or Mouse ONLY works in Safe Mode [Fix]: [IMG]Some users noticed that their keyboard or mouse only works in Safe Mode. When they exit the Safe Mode and start Windows in normal mode, their keyboard or mouse stops working. Safe Mode is a troubleshooting mode on Windows computers that you can use to fix the issues....
  4. Safe Mode not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Safe Mode not working: So I decided to uninstall my graphic driver today. That required me to boot into Safe Mode so that is what I've done. But my PC won't open when I restart into Safe Mode but it shutdown. I turned it on again, tried it a few more times but it still shut down by itself. Then I...
  5. Keyboard and mouse work in bios but not in safe mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard and mouse work in bios but not in safe mode: My computer stopped recognizing keyboard and mouse. Tried different keyboard/ mouse, doesn't work. Tried safe mode, no keyboard/ mouse. Tried uninstalling updates, failed. Tried restoring to earlier date, still won't recognize. Tried reinstalling windows 10 from usb, doesn't...
  6. Password won't work after entering safe mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password won't work after entering safe mode: Password won't work after entering safe mode Went into msconfig and changed to reboot in safe mode. Restarted. Now it asks me for my password and it doesn't work. I have tried my pin , and old password too. I have reset my password to make a new one too, which also...
  7. Safe mode, not working.

in Windows 10 Support
    Safe mode, not working.: I am using w10 x64 version 1803.I do not know why, but I find I can not access safe mode anymore, at "msconfig", the "Boot" options tab does not work, "Shift" during shutdown, there is no option to "safe mode". The code in cmd also does not work, it informs not find the...
  8. Win10 Booted in Safe Mode - Mouse doesn't work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win10 Booted in Safe Mode - Mouse doesn't work: I have a problem. Two problems to be exact, but the most pressing being that my mouse doesn't work. It is stuck in the middle of the screen, and the cursor is invisible. The original problem I had, prior to developing this new mouse problem, was the start menu. Neither the...
  9. No mouse or keyboard in safe mode

No mouse or keyboard in safe mode: After the amazing and wonderful Anniversary Update, that fixes nothing but adds other bugs & glitches, I can't use mouse and keyboard in Safe Mode. Before the update, it worked fine. Any solution? I use safe mode to install new nvidia drivers in safety. When I launch in...
  10. Safe Mode: USB mouse won't work

Safe Mode: USB mouse won't work: Folks, This should be simple... I can boot into Safe Mode. That's cool. Safe Mode - Start Windows 10 in - Windows 10 Forums Unfortunately, I cannot use my USB mouse. I can use it in BIOS, but not in Safe Mode. It is attached to a motherboard USB header, directly,...