Windows 10: Mouseover/Icon text is suddenly huge!

Discus and support Mouseover/Icon text is suddenly huge! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi... I noticed recently that text size of the mouseovers on my system changed to a very large size. I'm not sure if I inadvertently hit a shortcut... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by fwdunbar88, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Mouseover/Icon text is suddenly huge!

Hi...

I noticed recently that text size of the mouseovers on my system changed to a very large size. I'm not sure if I inadvertently hit a shortcut key or something that did this or not, but I can't seem to find where to adjust this text size.

Mouseover/Icon text is suddenly huge! [​IMG]

I also noticed that this large size also seems to affect a few applications (like PowerPoint, Adobe PDF Viewer, etc.) but not others (like Word, Excel).

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Frank

:)

fwdunbar88, Jul 31, 2016

2. Huge icons and text!!

Option 1:

Open Start > Settings > System > Display

Make sure recommended settings are selected for Scale and Layout and Screen resolution.

Another thing you can try:

uninstall your display driver then restart

Boot to the Windows 10 desktop

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Display adapters

Right click the current display adapter

Click Uninstall

Exit Device Manager

Restart

I recommend you uninstall the KB4048955

Press Windows key + R

Type: appwiz.cpl

Hit Enter

Click View installed updates

Select the recent update

(This is the update you want to uninstall KB4048955)

Right click it then click uninstall.

Restart then see if stability is restored.

The update might try to install again. So, try blocking it.

Is there an option or work around to block updates or hardware drivers that might cause problems?

Yes, Microsoft has released a KB update (KB3073930) that will let users block or hide Windows or driver updates.

You can download it at the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

If its the icons and toolbars, then Go back to Start > Settings > System > Display

Click in the Scale and layout list box, try another scale such as 125 to see if that works or play around with custom scaling.

Option 2:

Perform a repair upgrade

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

Andre Da Costa, Jul 31, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Huge icons and text!!

Is everything big on your screen?

If so, your Display Driver might need rolling back . . . Windows Update has lately been installing incorrect display drivers . . .

Open Device Manager (accessible by right clicking your Start Button)

Expand the Display Adapters Section

Right click your graphics card, choose properties

On the Driver Tab, click 'Roll back Driver'

Close Device Manager and restart your system

If there is no roll back available or that does not work, go to the Support page of the manufacturer of your PC/Laptop

Download the Device Driver they recommend for your Display Adapter/GPU and install that version, until Microsoft come out with a fix . . .

DaveM121, Jul 31, 2016
  4. AndreTen Win User

Mouseover/Icon text is suddenly huge!

Do you use any magnifier apps?

Check your settings: Setting / System / Display if it's on 100 %. And in Advance display settings in Control panel if everything is in default state.

Any other application or just Adobe Reader?

AndreTen, Aug 1, 2016
  5. No, I'm not using any Magnifier apps.

I haven't changed my default settings. They are as follows:

....and here are the setting in Advanced:

as noted earlier, I see this also in Powerpoint but not Word or Excel. The following screenshot is of Word (which is all correct and normal sized) against Adobe and Powerpoint both. You can see the obvious differences in font sizes.....

Thanks,
    Frank

fwdunbar88, Aug 1, 2016
  6. AndreTen Win User
    Do yo have same settings for both displays? I see you are using two.

Try to set 100% scaling for both, check if anything changes and then revert back to 125%.

AndreTen, Aug 1, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    If there is something installed causing the magnifying. You are going to have to look at installed programs in Programs and Features in the Control Panel to check to see if there is any third party software. For the mouse that you are using. You will have to look in the Control Panel in the Mouse app. There should be two listed in the mouse shortcut. One for a touchpad, one for a free mouse that Windows associates with touchpads and handheld mice.

I am going with something is set to magnify when mouse over. Could be a setting in the settings tool for your display GPU if one is loaded.

bro67, Aug 1, 2016
  8. Mouseover/Icon text is suddenly huge!

I don't see anything via Control Panel --> Programs and Features showing anything related to the mouse (touchpad or other). I have checked all the display settings I can find but see nothing related to magnification that isn't set properly. I've even adjusted the scaling back to 100% gotten out, then went back to 125% but still see the issue.

Remember, I've noted that it is not just the mouse-overs....there are issues with several program applications as well, but not all of them. The displayed items get huge when I go to save something and select "Save As" also.

I have checked for recently installed items and the most recent was an update to the Dell Learning Center, which I have subsequently removed. I've even tried something as obvious as holding down the "Ctrl" key while scrolling the mouse wheel to see if it adjusts the size of what I see, but that does not correct my issue either.

I'm left wondering if there is malware or something that has done this. I've run SpyBot S&D and MalwareBytes to no avail.

Thanks,
    Frank

fwdunbar88, Aug 4, 2016
  9. AndreTen,

Looks like I'm fixed. I went back and adjusted the scaling again but this time did a reboot between each scaling change. Not sure if it was the reboot in between that caused it to work this time or not, but the bottom line is that I seem to be fixed.

Thanks all for your suggestions and help!

fwdunbar88, Aug 7, 2016
  10. AndreTen Win User
    Glad it works! Whatever it was *Smile

AndreTen, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Mouseover/Icon text is suddenly huge!

1. Mouseover/Icon text is suddenly huge! - Similar Threads - Mouseover Icon text

2. System windows suddenly scrolling on mouseover

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System windows suddenly scrolling on mouseover: Dell Optiplex, Windows 11, fully up-to-date according to Dell Support Assist and Windows Update. Been using this computer for a couple of years; today, it started to exhibit a weird behavior: system windows scroll uncontrollably on mouseover. Only system windows. Using Chrome...
  3. System windows suddenly scrolling on mouseover

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System windows suddenly scrolling on mouseover: Dell Optiplex, Windows 11, fully up-to-date according to Dell Support Assist and Windows Update. Been using this computer for a couple of years; today, it started to exhibit a weird behavior: system windows scroll uncontrollably on mouseover. Only system windows. Using Chrome...
  4. Text, icons suddenly large - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Text, icons suddenly large - Windows 10: I was on my computer earlier. Settings were as usual. Came back and all desktop and tray icons as well as browser print are huge, even though I didn't change anything. Zoom is set at 100%. Display resolution is set at 1024 x 768. Tray icons are so big there is now a...
  5. HUGE icons and print

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HUGE icons and print: I updated today and now my whole screens, fonts and icons are HUGE! I've tried a restart, shutdown and several font and display adjustments. Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/huge-icons-and-print/a1053866-5101-4c7e-8918-3342930584f9
  6. Mouseover Text Doesn't Disappear

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mouseover Text Doesn't Disappear: On my display and every tab, this is constantly there pictured below. It happens occasionally, after I mouse over something. I'm not sure other than that what causes it. Usually when my computer restarts, however I don't really have the time for that. Is there anyone who has...
  7. Hidden icons are huge

in Windows 10 Support
    Hidden icons are huge: Somebody knows how I did this and how can I undo this? It's so annoying and I couldn't find any help in the Internet. (I apologize for bad English) Windows 10 pro, if it's helpful. [img] 164616
  8. Text under desktop icons, suddenly larger?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Text under desktop icons, suddenly larger?: The text for some reason has gone really large under my icons on my desktop. The icons themselves appear to be the same size, but I'm not sure what is going on. I've updated my nvidia driver, as I thought it might be something to do with that, but that didn't help at all, any...
  9. Huge Icons and Text While Dragging and Dropping

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Huge Icons and Text While Dragging and Dropping: [ATTACH] After a crash the other day, upon restart I noticed that whenever I drag and drop a file, the text and icons are abnormally large. I've tried changing resolution and restarting to no avail. I've attached some screenshots of the issue. Any help is appreciated....
  10. Reducing the mouseover delay when selecting an icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Reducing the mouseover delay when selecting an icon: Hi, I'm using the option "Single Click to open an item" option and I notice a delay of half a second between the cursor making contact with the icon and it being selected. This isn' a huge deal but I would like to lower it if possible. Looked around for something involving...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mouse icon suddenly huge

2. Mouseover/Icon text is suddenly huge