Windows 10: .MOV file will not play

Discus and support .MOV file will not play in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My daughter sent a message to my wife’s IPad, that contained a .mov file of the junior school concert items a grandson took part in, from her IPhone. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chipwood, Jul 15, 2016.

1. chipwood Win User

.MOV file will not play

My daughter sent a message to my wife’s IPad, that contained a .mov file of the junior school concert items a grandson took part in, from her IPhone. I wanted to listen with better volume and sound, so we the file to an email to me: File name IMG_nnnn.MOV.
    I detached the file and tried to play it unsuccessfully. The default player could not playback as the file was unrecognised or corrupt and quoted error 0xc0036c4. VLC and Media Player also did not oblige, and a third program mentioned in a very old thread reported the file existed but there was no video.
    As the file played only a few minutes ago on the IPad, I am confused why it will not play on my desktop.
    Suggestions and possible solutions, please.

:)

chipwood, Jul 15, 2016

2. Why won't my 5800 play this MOV file?

As I understand it the wrapper is MOV and unless you have the correct codecs for MOV it will not play .

On my computer MOV files do not play unless codec installed likewise I need a special converter to play this MOV .

Probably Nokia not played as it needs license and payment to Quicktime /Apple .

jje

jjegan---01, Jul 15, 2016
  3. cannot play .mov on media player

I installed QuickTime and downloaded codecs and it still won't play.

VanessaLowell, Jul 15, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

.MOV file will not play

topgundcp, Jul 15, 2016
  5. chipwood Win User
    I got muddled with Handbrake, the mov file having both sound and vision, with both listed on the task bar. Me numpty! *Wink
    Tried some online converters, and they all failed with errors too.

chipwood, Jul 15, 2016
  6. Mov is only a container, virtually any codec could have been used, like something that is not supported by default.

You can use MediaInfo to check for video's information.

Or install K-Lite Codec Pack Full Download K-Lite Codec Pack and try MPC again.

TairikuOkami, Jul 15, 2016
  7. chipwood Win User
    Media Info:
    Code: Complete name : C:\Users\G...\....\IMG_0931.MOV.mov Format : MPEG-4 Format profile : QuickTime Codec ID : qt 0000.00 (qt ) File size : 482 Bytes Encoded date : UTC 2016-07-15 19:15:38 Tagged date : UTC 2016-07-15 19:15:38 com.apple.quicktime.make : Apple com.apple.quicktime.model : iPhone 4S com.apple.quicktime.software : 9.3.2 com.apple.quicktime.creationdate : 2016-07-14T19:41:26+0100 [/quote] Please, does the above tell me anything? If the codec needs adding to say VLC, how would I go about it?

chipwood, Jul 15, 2016
  8. f14tomcat Win User

.MOV file will not play

Please, does the above tell me anything? If the codec needs adding to say VLC, how would I go about it?[/quote] I have plenty of vids my daughter has email me from her iPhone 6s. They are all .MOV extension. Set VLC to handle .MOV and they play fine.

.MOV file will not play [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Jul 15, 2016
  9. mrgeek Win User
    "C:\Users\G...\....\IMG_0931.MOV.mov"
    Try removing the .MOV from the file name. The extension may be confusing for VLC or make a copy and rename it to C:\Users\G...\....\IMG_0931.mp4 and see if VLC will play the mp4

mrgeek, Jul 15, 2016
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    He should at least try the file association first before changing extensions.

f14tomcat, Jul 15, 2016
  11. mrgeek Win User
    It's an mp4 file within an mov container. Should play in VLC with either extension. Although checking the file association program would be good to know in the future.

mrgeek, Jul 15, 2016
  12. chipwood Win User
    The settings are exactly as in example, but no luck. All I see is VLC's traffic cone mid-screen. Should qt be Quicktime or VLC in this case?

chipwood, Jul 15, 2016
  13. chipwood Win User

.MOV file will not play

Do you mean the big MOV or the little mov.
    OT joke. A friend from Worcestershire never pronounced his aitches, and was a bad speller. He'd often ask his wife whether a word began with a big as or a little as: has or as, that is.

chipwood, Jul 15, 2016
  14. f14tomcat Win User
    I did not, at first, see the double "MOV.mov". My error, sorry..... Maybe renaming the extension will work. Taking off the .mov

f14tomcat, Jul 15, 2016
  15. chipwood Win User
    In Properties the doubled mov doesn't seem to be in the file name, but in the file type (pic att'd).

chipwood, Jul 15, 2016
Thema:

.MOV file will not play

1. .MOV file will not play - Similar Threads - MOV file play

2. Unable to play a big mov file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to play a big mov file: I cannot play a big mov file with Movies & TV. It can be used to play small mov files with no issue. But for the big one, the software launches, but no video is played. The link to the file I am having the issue with:...
  3. Unable to play a big mov file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to play a big mov file: I cannot play a big mov file with Movies & TV. It can be used to play small mov files with no issue. But for the big one, the software launches, but no video is played. The link to the file I am having the issue with:...
  4. MOV files will not play on my Windows 10 desktop

MOV files will not play on my Windows 10 desktop: Same result with Windows Media Player and Movies and TVHere's the message that displays:"Sorry. Can't Play Please Try Again 0x80004002"MP4 and WMV Will PlayApparently I need a CODEC. Can anyone advise me on how to enable my MOV files precious vids of my granddaughter?Thank...
  5. Movie and TV App will play old MOV files but not new MOV files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Movie and TV App will play old MOV files but not new MOV files: I have recently been moving files from my laptop to my PC. All my video files are in the MOV format because they were created from my phone. All the videos play from the Movies and TV app on my laptop. After I transfer the files from my laptop to my PC via flash drive, I...
  6. Movie and TV App will play old MOV files but not new MOV files

Movie and TV App will play old MOV files but not new MOV files: I have recently been moving files from my laptop to my PC. All my video files are in the MOV format because they were created from my phone. All the videos play from the Movies and TV app on my laptop. After I transfer the files from my laptop to my PC via flash drive, I...
  7. Cannot Play .MOV files

Cannot Play .MOV files: I use a Zoom q4n to record videos that I have to submit as schoolwork. The camera only records in the .MOV format and when I try to import them to my surface they import with only audio and no video. When I try to open video files with the windows Movies and TV app I get the...
  8. MOV files won't play in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MOV files won't play in Windows 10: MOV files from iphone won't open in Windows 10. Which app will open these files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mov-files-wont-play-in-windows-10/a5bda302-29c1-46e1-8bc1-8a6645eab943"
  9. .MOV files -

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    .MOV files -: what sw do i need to download to view these video files to see and hear them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mov-files/c7b6183e-4aff-4ab5-b8b1-d489560e2485
  10. mov files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    mov files: As usual Microsoft in its grand plan it has not provided to play an MOV file!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mov-files/35c167f9-1dea-4bbd-91f4-d0249b03c135