Windows 10: Move but not copy Music folder into Documents

Discus and support Move but not copy Music folder into Documents in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When I had Windows 7, I had literally every single thing in My Documents. Every song, every file, every tax record, every picture...literally... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Alimony, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Alimony Win User

Move but not copy Music folder into Documents

When I had Windows 7, I had literally every single thing in My Documents. Every song, every file, every tax record, every picture...literally everything. That way, when I backed up my hard drive, I just plugged in the My Passport Ultra drive, synced it with My Documents, and everything backed up.

But in Windows 10, I'm seeing Frequent Folders that include ThisPC\Music and ThisPC\Documents. So I figured I would just drag the music folder into the Documents folder, and it would just create yet another subfolder within Documents (other subfolders within Documents include "Resume", "Travel Info," etc. So I figured "Music" would just be another subfolder, as was the case with my Windows 7 setup.

Instead, it made a copy of the music folder, which is not what I want. I want to actually migrate the Music folder into Documents as a subfolder. I thought that maybe I could just copy it over and delete the original Music folder, but what if the copy doesn't work because the original version has been wiped out. I'm really confused about the right way to go about this. Can anyone help?

:)

Alimony, Aug 7, 2015
  2. BobZolto Win User

Unable to Save to Documents Folder

I can't move, copy or save anything to my Documents folder. I checked the properties of the folder, under security, it listed only Home Users and WMP Network Svc. My account name is listed in the security tabs of Pictures, Music, etc., and I am able to
    save, copy and move to those folders. My account is listed in C:/Windows/Users/myname/Documents under the security tab. How do I add my name to the Documents folder in File Explorer?

BobZolto, Aug 7, 2015
  3. decorvus Win User
    Moving the location of one quick access folder also moves another

My documents folder and music folder are somehow messed up. Whenever I move documents for example, the location of the music folder also moves and they both have the same name. Its so frustrating since I have no idea how to fix this.

Here's a screenshot of the quick access folders

Move but not copy Music folder into Documents [​IMG]

So when I move the location of the documents folder, it also moves the music folder to that same location, and both folders are named "Documents".

If I move the music folder, the documents folder also moves to that location, and both folders are renamed to "Music". Its an endless loop I cannot escape

decorvus, Aug 7, 2015
  4. Porthos Win User

I apologize in advance because 1) I am going to nag on you a bit and 2) I wont be a lot of help.

First I would consider the way you were doing things dated and bad file management. Vista ,7 and 8 have all had the same file layout. Windows programs like music players know by default where to find and put music. Is just as bad when users create folders on the root of their OS drive or loose in their USER folder. Program creators program their products to write and read from certain locations. I have a very popular data backup/restore program for techs that is scripted for all the DEFAULT locations and will skip any thing else so I have to dig around a clients computer to find the other data or it wont be backed up.

Just my .02 cents worth and I profusely apologize again not being helpful with your issue.

Porthos, Aug 8, 2015
Thema:

1. Move but not copy Music folder into Documents - Similar Threads - Move copy Music

2. Documents folder appears only in OneDrive folder and can't be moved but creates a copy of...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents folder appears only in OneDrive folder and can't be moved but creates a copy of...: I don't use OneDrive. Have it uninstalled. But trying to move the location of the documents folder in This PC tells me that there isn't a documents folder where I'm trying to move it when there is and asks me to move everything from the old location but with every option I...
  3. Documents folder appears only in OneDrive folder and can't be moved but creates a copy of...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Documents folder appears only in OneDrive folder and can't be moved but creates a copy of...: I don't use OneDrive. Have it uninstalled. But trying to move the location of the documents folder in This PC tells me that there isn't a documents folder where I'm trying to move it when there is and asks me to move everything from the old location but with every option I...
  4. Onedrive Documents folder moved

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive Documents folder moved: Good afternoonHaving purchased a laptop in addition to my desktop setup, I have set it up with access to my onedrive files. During the process the 'Documents' folder moved to become a subfolder of e-mail attachments. Step 1 - panic everything is gone. Step 2 - oh it's still...
  5. Files in Document Folder moving

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files in Document Folder moving: Files in Document Folder move up and down, making it difficult to click on a file. Sometimes scrolling down in Document Folder the cursor will jump to the top. This does not happen in other folders, such as the Download Folder....
  6. Files in Document Folder moving

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files in Document Folder moving: Files in Document Folder move up and down, making it difficult to click on a file. Sometimes scrolling down in Document Folder the cursor will jump to the top. This does not happen in other folders, such as the Download Folder....
  7. copy file to DOCUMENT folder

copy file to DOCUMENT folder: My issues began with win 10 build 1090 and more so with 2004. Preface: from the time I purchased my computer, 4 years ago, I redirected my document and downloads to separate subdirectories on my L: removeable hard drive. Until I updated to 1090/2004 there were no issues....
  8. Moving/copying Windows music files

Moving/copying Windows music files: How do I select "all" of my albums in windows music in order to transfer them to an external hard drive? There is no option for this that I can find. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/movingcopying-windows-music-files/eb003712-6506-4c8e-974a-b08455c24455"
  9. Rename Documents and Music folders?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rename Documents and Music folders?: hi, just read this forum again and i'm not so sure if my problems related to this or not. Anyway, wanna know can i Rename the Folders and How can i do it. I've marked the folders that i want to rename in the picture. [img] this issue suddenly happens after the latest...
  10. Moving my Documents folder

Moving my Documents folder: Having an issue with space on my C:\ drive, so in Users\Tom\ right clicking on the Documents folder, clicking on the Location tab and selecting "Move". Filled in the new location N:\Users\Tom\Documents. System replied with a confirmation window confirming Old location and New...