Windows 10: Move certain folders to second drive

Discus and support Move certain folders to second drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, forgive me if this has been asked before but I didn't find it so here's my question: I have two drives on my PC (SSD 256 GB; HDD 2 TB). My Win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Devondanus, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Move certain folders to second drive

Hi,

forgive me if this has been asked before but I didn't find it so here's my question:

I have two drives on my PC (SSD 256 GB; HDD 2 TB). My Win 10 is obviously installed on the SSD. Since I have not very much space left on my SSD, I would like to transfer a lot of stuff to the HDD which still has heaps of space. Since the following folders occupy a lot of space I would like to know which of them could be moved to the HDD without any problems for Win 10 or programs accessing these folders:

- ProgramData

- Program Files

- Program Files (x86)

- Users

I already have most programs and also the casual user folders (like documents, images etc.) on my HDD but the ones listed above were created automatically by Win and contain mostly the AppData stuff (for Users) and programs which didn't ask where they should be installed (for Program Files and Program Files (x86)). I know that transfering these folders (if possible without causing damage) will be a huge pain (due to permissions etc.) but I'm willing to go through this if it's possible.

My Win is on German so forgive me if the folder names are different in English but I think these are the correct translations.

Would be grateful for any help.

submitted by /u/Devondanus
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Devondanus, Jan 20, 2021

2. Moved a folder from another drive and rename and it still shows as the old folder name in certain places

Hi Nick,

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check the behavior.

• Create a new folder name it as 'My Videos'.
    • Now copy/cut and paste the contents which are in the folder "Videos", and delete the folder "Videos".
    • Now check the behavior.
    Please keep us updated with the status of the folder, to assist you further.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Jan 20, 2021
  3. dalchina Win User
    SoftwareDistribution folder duplicated on second drive

My view is yes you should be save to do so as it shouldn't be there anyway.

However for safety I'd rename it first, and see what happens. Leave it a while, if all is ok, delete it. You could keep a backup.

(When an update failed to download I renamed the SoftwarDistribution folder (not a recommended idea) on C: - deleting or renaming the Downloads folder in it is wiser) and it was recreated. I just lost my update history)

If you search using this text
    softwardistribution on second drive
    you will find results discussing how to relocate this folder. I'm not suggesting you do, but this might suggest how you ended up with a second instance.

dalchina, Jan 20, 2021
  4. Jelo Sen Win User

Move certain folders to second drive

Map a network drive folder to my video library

To Include folders using Manage Library Tools, we suggest that you perform the steps below:

• In File Explorer, select or open a library (ex: Videos) you want to include a folder or drive to.
    • Click on the Library Tools Manage tab, and click on the Manage library button in the ribbon.
    • Click on the Add button
    • Browse to and select a folder or drive that you want to include in this library, and click on the Include folder button.
    • When finished, click/tap on OK.
    Keep us updated with the result.

Jelo Sen, Jan 20, 2021
Thema:

Move certain folders to second drive

1. Move certain folders to second drive - Similar Threads - Move certain folders

2. Moving desktop folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving desktop folder to another drive: Hi all. I have just had to reinstall windoes due booting problems. I want to move desktop, documents folders etc to another drive. I know how to do it right click, properties, location, move but the issue I have is that I already have these folders on another drive due to the...
  3. ProgramData folder found on second drive.

ProgramData folder found on second drive.: Hello, I wonder why there is a ProgramData folder on my second drive, I used to store only Games there. But how can I remove it?I already changed where new content is saved to my Windows drive, so that is not an issue......
  4. ProgramData folder found on second drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ProgramData folder found on second drive.: Hello, I wonder why there is a ProgramData folder on my second drive, I used to store only Games there. But how can I remove it?I already changed where new content is saved to my Windows drive, so that is not an issue......
  5. ProgramData folder found on second drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Moving Thunderbird data or profile to a second drive ?

in Browsers and Email
    Moving Thunderbird data or profile to a second drive ?: I just installed a second drive for storage & want to offload & direct TB email to it from the C: drive. Most articles I've seen explain how to move the profile to a second drive. But some tell how to just change the file path in TB and save just the email to another drive....
  7. Moving Folders to Another Drive

Moving Folders to Another Drive: I wanted to move some folders to another drive and found this article, https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-tip-move-your-default-data-folders-to-a-different-drive/#:~:text=To%20make%20the%20move%2C%20open,new%20location%20for%20that%20folder.I followed the steps to move...
  8. moving doc folder to D drive

moving doc folder to D drive: I'm signed in as an Administrator but when I open the properties in my C drive Documents folder there is no location tab. How do I get it to show up? Thank you......
  9. Can't move certain folder in WindowsApps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't move certain folder in WindowsApps: I am administrator with full control of the folder Windows Apps and everything inside it, but for some reason I don't have full control of this folder inside windows apps. Trying to copy a save file from a game pass game. submitted by /u/drbot007 [link] [comments]...
  10. SoftwareDistribution folder duplicated on second drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    SoftwareDistribution folder duplicated on second drive: ​Since the Win10 Anniversary update, I have a duplicate SoftwareDistribution folder on my B drive (which is where I store all my files). There is the regular SoftwareDistribution folder under c:/Windows plus a SoftwareDistribution.old folder, both of which have half a dozen...