Windows 10: Move data drive from old computer into new

Discus and support Move data drive from old computer into new in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am running a 2007 vintage self-built PC with a separate data drive (1tb hdd) and OS/program drive (SSD). I want to move the data hdd into a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Joacchim, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Joacchim Win User

Move data drive from old computer into new

I am running a 2007 vintage self-built PC with a separate data drive (1tb hdd) and OS/program drive (SSD). I want to move the data hdd into a new computer I've built. Is it just as simple as unplugging/ dismounting from old and installing in new? Any advice is appreciated, TIA.

:)

Joacchim, Jan 8, 2019
  2. xarzu Win User

new system old hard drive...

I have an old hard drive that has those old ribbon connections to transfer data to the mother board.

I have a new computer that mostly uses those cool little ATA (I think that is what they are called) connections.

The new computer has a Vista OS.

I opened up the case and I was supprised to see on the motherboard a wide ribbon connection and so I connected the old hard drive and a free power connection.

When I turned on the computer, the system started up like usual and did not notice the new hard drive.

I went to the Control Pannel and did an automatic add hard drive call and it did not find the old hard drive.

Any suggestions?

xarzu, Jan 8, 2019
  3. Loading data from flash drive (Vista) from old computer to new computer

I copied data from old computer on a blank flash drive BUT trying to install it on new computer I get " cannot install, drive needs to be formatted. If you continue data will be wiped !

How do I correct this and install the data to the new computer?

elbertnetters, Jan 8, 2019
  4. Move data drive from old computer into new

Help! Data partition not showing under my computer

This is happening on a windows 2000 server. Our second partition of the system, for data is not showing under my computer. Here are the properties of it in disk management:

Move data drive from old computer into new partition.jpg

Now under logical drives its listed as F and shows free space available.

Suggestions on how to fix this?

Hybrid_theory, Jan 8, 2019
Thema:

Move data drive from old computer into new

1. Move data drive from old computer into new - Similar Threads - Move data drive

2. transfer data from old computer to new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    transfer data from old computer to new computer: How do I transfer my data from my usb to my new computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-data-from-old-computer-to-new-computer/3f750332-54ba-4c01-a19b-dc8104de7a6c
  3. Installing old data drive in new computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Installing old data drive in new computer: My current laptop has two SSD drives both SATA interface. The C: drive for operating system and programs and a D: drive for all my data. In a few days, I'll be receiving my new HP laptop. It comes with an M2 SSD 512GB and a 1TB HDD SATA interface. I plan on using the new...
  4. moving content from old to new computer

moving content from old to new computer: I have a very old DellOptiplex 360 desktop with windows 10 and am finally getting rid of it. I need to switch all my content over to my new Dell desktop. I forgot how to do this. I need to switch over outlook emails, all documents, all videos, all docs saved directly on my...
  5. Moving Data to New Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Moving Data to New Drive: I bought a new laptop that had a 256GB SSD and added a 500GB HDD as the data drive. Now, on occasion, I'm hearing a slight metallic clicking sound. (I believe it may be the HDD) Not wanting to take the chance of losing a bunch of data, I want to move it to another HDD that I...
  6. Moving storage HDD from old computer to new

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Moving storage HDD from old computer to new: I built a new computer and want to move the storage HDD from the old one to the new one without having to redownload hundreds and hundreds of gigabytes of Microsoft Store games and apps. I was hoping when I logged into the Microsoft Store on the new computer with my old...
  7. Moving storage HDD from old computer to new

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving storage HDD from old computer to new: I built a new computer and want to move the storage HDD from the old one to the new one without having to redownload hundreds and hundreds of gigabytes of Microsoft Store games and apps. I was hoping when I logged into the Microsoft Store on the new computer with my old...
  8. Move old hard drive to new computer with windows 10

Move old hard drive to new computer with windows 10: My old computer with windows 10 installed with a 1tb SSD the old computer has failed but the hard dive is still working, my question is how do I install the old SSD hard drive with windows10 installed on it to my new computer? The new computer is almost the same as the old...
  9. Moving win10 from old computer to new

Moving win10 from old computer to new: I'm upgrading from and old computer to a new build. Am I able to move the operating system to the new one without buying a brand new windows product key? I will not be using the old one whatsoever (just keeping the hard drives). Originally this was a windows 7 and I got the...
  10. moving old hdd to new computer

moving old hdd to new computer: I have an old computer with a bad motherboard that I am thinking about taking the hdd out of and reinstalling it in a new computer and duel booting between win7 and win10, my question is "can it be done"? 11745

Users found this page by searching for:

1. install former c:\ drive on a new PC to access the data