Windows 10: Move Desktop from HDD to new SSD boot drive.

Discus and support Move Desktop from HDD to new SSD boot drive. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an older gaming PC to which I added a 240GB SSD and did a fresh install of Windows 10 20H2. The old, now secondary, HDD is a 1TB drive that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Kowala3000, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Move Desktop from HDD to new SSD boot drive.

I have an older gaming PC to which I added a 240GB SSD and did a fresh install of Windows 10 20H2. The old, now secondary, HDD is a 1TB drive that served as my OS drive previously. Is there a way to move my old "Desktop" to the new SSD so that when I launch Windows I will see the desktop from my previous set-up? I do not want to move the programs to the new drive, just the desktop shortcuts.

:)

Kowala3000, Jan 8, 2021
  2. DaveM121 Win User

New SSD wont boot

Hi John

Boot into BIOS, is SATA Mode set to AHCI to enable booting from an SSD drive?

Is the SSD drive set a top of the Boot Priority list?

Did you try connecting that SSD to the SATA Port normally used by your old HDD?

DaveM121, Jan 8, 2021
  3. Neox99 Win User
    Changing Boot Drive from HDD to SSD

Trying to understand here.

Do you have Win-10 installed on a HDD and on a SSD?

If so are you asking how to get your system to boot from the SSD opposed the HDD?

If you don't get an option of seeing a boot option at the beginning of the BIOS process {mine is to press ESC to see boot menu] check with the manufacturer. There HAS to be a key which does that.

Another possibility is: If both drives are SATA just switch the cables and reboot.

Check your Configuration file and see if 2 OSs are listed.

As you can see here, I have mine set to dual-boot. Win-10 on a HDD and Win-7 on a SSD.

Move Desktop from HDD to new SSD boot drive. 9de35259-1592-4229-ac9e-131e1cbf3fba.jpg

Neox99, Jan 8, 2021
  4. Move Desktop from HDD to new SSD boot drive.

SSD Drive as Boot Drive and HDD Drive as Storage, how do I do it?

Remove the HDD. Install Windows on SSD. Then insert the HDD. Now SSD should be your boot drive with HDD as a storage drive.

If Windows doesn't boot,

1) Check Boot priority in BIOS and set your SSD on top of the list.

2) If still doesn't work, then create a 200MB Fat32 partition on the HDD(call it whatever you want) then boot into the windows 10 installer via a usb, launch command prompt with SHIFT + F10 and run the following:

bcdboot C:\Windows /l en-en /s B: /f UEFI

where B: is the drive letter for the 200MB partition (it could be any other drive letter for you).

Note: the drive letter with windows could be different, so either poke around command prompt to find out or launch DISKPART and run show volumes to find the partition.

The only downside to this solution is that if the HDD fails you lose boot capabilities. To get around this you could create a ISO of the 200mb boot drive and upload it for safe keeping and burn it to a usb flash disk in case of emergencies.

Source: ENVY 15t-j000 mSATA SSD + HDD fresh install, with mSATA as boot
    drive

Harsimran17, Jan 8, 2021
Thema:

Move Desktop from HDD to new SSD boot drive.

1. Move Desktop from HDD to new SSD boot drive. - Similar Threads - Move Desktop HDD

2. Moving all of SSD storage to a new HDD empty drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving all of SSD storage to a new HDD empty drive: Hello, I'm using an HP Elitebook 840 G3, and my SSD has been very slow lately. My PC takes about a minute and a half to boot, and it started to lag, so I bought a new drive that is an HDD, and I want to move everything from the SSD to it, including users folder and the other...
  3. Moving all of SSD storage to a new HDD empty drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving all of SSD storage to a new HDD empty drive: Hello, I'm using an HP Elitebook 840 G3, and my SSD has been very slow lately. My PC takes about a minute and a half to boot, and it started to lag, so I bought a new drive that is an HDD, and I want to move everything from the SSD to it, including users folder and the other...
  4. how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?: I have a Windows 10 desktop. My problem is that the C drive is a small SSD, 120G. I have tried to install programs to D drive whenever possible, but C is still full. I want to move my C drive SSD and merge with the existing D drive HDD. What is a good way to do this, without...
  5. how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?: I have a Windows 10 desktop. My problem is that the C drive is a small SSD, 120G. I have tried to install programs to D drive whenever possible, but C is still full. I want to move my C drive SSD and merge with the existing D drive HDD. What is a good way to do this, without...
  6. how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Switching from HDD to SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching from HDD to SSD boot drive: Ok so I have a HDD and I just bought a Samsung 860 EVO 1tb SSD to make it my main drive and my boot drive. First, I tried to use a cloning software to clone from my HDD to my SSD and it did not work. It just started up with that black screen with the text "reboot and select...
  8. Move OS from one SSD to a new (larger)) boot drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move OS from one SSD to a new (larger)) boot drive: Hi A few years ago I built a gaming computer with a 128GB SSD boot drive and I would now like to replace this with a larger drive. Is there a simple way to move the OS (64 bit) from the old boot drive to the new one or am I going to have to buy a new key?...
  9. Moving Boot from HDD to new SSD in Win 10

Moving Boot from HDD to new SSD in Win 10: My old computer went "bad" (I suspect that Windows updates became increasingly incompatible with my seven year-old hardware), so I decided to upgrade my motherboard, CPU and add a new SSD NVMe drive. I would like to boot from my SSD and run Adobe Photoshop 6.0 on it, but all...
  10. Moving from HDD to SSD

Moving from HDD to SSD: Hello, I recently decided to buy a new 1TB SSD to “replace” my current and only HDD. I’ve been using my HDD for some time now and I wanted to make the SSD my windows 10 boot drive but I’m not sure how to do this. I wanted to make it a clean install so I can add my programs...