Windows 10: Move efi and recovery partitions from a raid array I want to split

Discus and support Move efi and recovery partitions from a raid array I want to split in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Having gone from windows 7, to 8 to 8.1 to 10 without a reinstall I've started to have a few issues so I've just reinstalled windows to a new drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SpecChum, Aug 27, 2016.

1. SpecChum Win User

Move efi and recovery partitions from a raid array I want to split

Having gone from windows 7, to 8 to 8.1 to 10 without a reinstall I've started to have a few issues so I've just reinstalled windows to a new drive.

Trouble is, I didn't think too much and left the old RAID array connected so the recovery and EFI partitions are still on it and Windows Setup used these instead of creating new ones.

I want to unRAID them now to get my 2 SSD's back but how do I copy the recovery and efi partitions over?

:)

SpecChum, Aug 27, 2016
  2. Jayanuba Win User

W10 corrupts W7 hard drive

W8.1 was working fine as a removable hard drive. W7 installed on a RAID array as multi partitions. Works fine and both OS can be booted and W8.1 reads the RAID array when booting as W8.1

W10 upgrade completed on removable 8.1 drive, but then checked RAID drives for errors and changed them.

W7 on raid no longer boots. After severel hours W7 finally re-installed on RAID array. (data is on other partition so ok.) Tested working all data recovered.

Here's the kicker.

As soon as I boot from W10 it says "reboot required to fix drives" then corrupts the Windows 7 install... Which doesn't need fixed!!

The drive containing W7 OS becomes unreadable although other data partitions on the RAID array are OK.

W7 recovery tries to fix the hard drive then fails.

W10 changed drive letters first attempt, so I thought this an easy fix, but in fact every fresh W7 install is corrupted as soon as I boot from W10.

This is a major problem. Why is W10 changing the drive parameters on a completely seperate fully operational operating system?

Jayanuba, Aug 27, 2016
  3. My upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro repeatedly fails on error 80070004

I did this 5 times, no luck.

I'm guessing it's a disk thing, because it's factory splitted in 4 partitions (2 recovery partitions, 1 EFI, C:\ )

What about yours?

MilioSMilioZ, Aug 27, 2016
  4. Move efi and recovery partitions from a raid array I want to split

Raid 0 I believe ??
    Spiting the SSDs will result in data loss.. backup data. Change Raid back to AHCI in bios.
    Now you can install OS on any drive you want.

manish9009, Aug 27, 2016
  5. SpecChum Win User
    Ideally I wanted to do it without re-installing.

Turns out it was actually very easy after all that, I didn't even need to use the installation media.

I just shrunk the new Windows partition down by 100Mb and created a new efi partition using diskpart, then just ran bcdboot C:\Windows /s

I rebooted and changed boot order and all good *Smile

I've now split my RAID array and got my drives back, hooray!

SpecChum, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Move efi and recovery partitions from a raid array I want to split

1. Move efi and recovery partitions from a raid array I want to split - Similar Threads - Move efi recovery

2. I have a RAID Array on Win 10Pro. I want to remove the Raid Array. Need a link to a proper...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a RAID Array on Win 10Pro. I want to remove the Raid Array. Need a link to a proper...: I have a 2 drive RAID Array on Win 10Pro. I want to remove the Raid Array. Need a link to a proper resource to do so. Any help appreciated, this thing is taking forever to load. Thanks in Advance....
  3. I have a RAID Array on Win 10Pro. I want to remove the Raid Array. Need a link to a proper...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a RAID Array on Win 10Pro. I want to remove the Raid Array. Need a link to a proper...: I have a 2 drive RAID Array on Win 10Pro. I want to remove the Raid Array. Need a link to a proper resource to do so. Any help appreciated, this thing is taking forever to load. Thanks in Advance....
  4. I have a RAID Array on Win 10Pro. I want to remove the Raid Array. Need a link to a proper...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. can i move EFI Partitions?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can i move EFI Partitions?: I wanted to extend a particular partition Specifically drive C:, as I have about 80gb of unallocated space, and the C: partition is completely full, however, there is an EFI partition in the way, and as windows has no functionality with assigning two different sections of a...
  6. can i move EFI Partitions?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can i move EFI Partitions?: I wanted to extend a particular partition Specifically drive C:, as I have about 80gb of unallocated space, and the C: partition is completely full, however, there is an EFI partition in the way, and as windows has no functionality with assigning two different sections of a...
  7. can i move EFI Partitions?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Moving EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving EFI Partition: Can someone tell me how to move EFI partition from one place to another, its just the example, but my problem is that i have C partition, after that i have EFI partition, and after that i have free space, now i can't resize my C partition coz EFI partition is next one... Win...
  9. Help with EFI partition recovery

in Windows 10 Support
    Help with EFI partition recovery: I was using a disk clone program and for some reason it wiped out the EFI partition on both the source and the target, the machine cannot boot. I downloaded the ISO image, put it on a flash drive, configured BIOS to look at flash and it does not boot off of it. Any other...
  10. EFI and Recovery partitions.

in Windows 10 Support
    EFI and Recovery partitions.: new hp pavilion laptop, the 2 default partitions besides C: notice they are 100% free space, they both are before C: , however posts I have been reading call for them to be after C: for rebuilding them? -EFI system partition, according to wikipedia this is: "When a...