Windows 10: Move icon database file from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Discus and support Move icon database file from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, First post here after years of tweaking Windows 7. Hope I like 10 as much I did 7... This weekend I'm doing a clean install of Windows 10 Pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dg27, Feb 15, 2020.

1. dg27 Win User

Move icon database file from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Hello,

First post here after years of tweaking Windows 7. Hope I like 10 as much I did 7...

This weekend I'm doing a clean install of Windows 10 Pro after years of using Windows 7 Pro. Over time I created many custom folder icons.

I'm trying to find a way to carry those icons from 7 to 10.

I'm wondering whether if by inserting the IconCache file from the location in Win 7 to the correct location in Win 10 I'll see these icons once I'm up and running W10.

Move icon database file from Windows 7 to Windows 10 [​IMG]

These are mostly folder icons used for folders on storage drives that will have the same drive letters.

Will this work? Or is there another or better way to make this happen?

I'm new to W10; expect to have other questions in the coming days.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

:)

2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 15, 2020
  3. Custom Windows 7 Icon Pack By LiveOrDie

***Updated***
    Added Control Panel icons, updated and added more icons

These icons i based off windows 7 gadgets icon, hours of photoshop work went into them

pack is in a DLL to by pass a windows 7 bug that was never fixed

Installing Instructions
    Unzip
    Right click on the desktop click Personalization and then click change desktop icons, then select the icon you wish to change then click Change Icon then select the dll file that you downloaded then pick the icon you wish to use.

Move icon database file from Windows 7 to Windows 10 [​IMG]

deviantart LINK

Live OR Die, Feb 15, 2020
  4. Move icon database file from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Feb 15, 2020
Thema:

Move icon database file from Windows 7 to Windows 10

1. Move icon database file from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Move icon database

2. Move license from Windows 10 to Windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move license from Windows 10 to Windows 7: Hi, I'm trying to move license from Windows 10 to Windows 7. To do that I've already tried several methods like entering commands into the command line or saving a code snippet into a text file and then executing it to get a string of text that looks like an activation code,...
  3. Move license from Windows 10 to Windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move license from Windows 10 to Windows 7: Hi, I'm trying to move license from Windows 10 to Windows 7. To do that I've already tried several methods like entering commands into the command line or saving a code snippet into a text file and then executing it to get a string of text that looks like an activation code,...
  4. Move license from Windows 10 to Windows 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I'm moving on from Windows 7, is Windows 10

I'm moving on from Windows 7, is Windows 10: any good or does anyone have any other recommendations? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-moving-on-from-windows-7-is-windows-10/93885513-8a4c-46a0-abbf-db7cb26c8ba0
  6. Moving Files from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Moving Files from Windows 7 to Windows 10: The messages I am getting after 5.5 hours of trying to move data is that I do not have permission as the administrator when I am the administrator. Coming up with building he copy with file names that I do not know why they are there. This is 100% Microsoft programs. Also...
  7. Move contacts from Windows 7 to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Move contacts from Windows 7 to Windows 10: I'm using Windows Live on my Windows 7 machine. Is it possible to move these contacts to my new Windows 10 computer? I have been told you can not home network 10 to 7. Thanks, John / 123859
  8. Moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10: Hello everyone. This is my first time using this forum, was already on sevenforums before so I came to this forum since I am moving to Windows 10 OS. If I posted in wrong section, administrator please move to correct thread or something, I'm new to use of forum. Anyway, my...
  9. Moving from Windows 10 to Windows 7.

Moving from Windows 10 to Windows 7.: I am currently using windows 10. I want to go to, not downgrade or go back to, I want to go to windows 7. I was surfing the internet (Youtube) and I saw some videos, however, most of them are demonstrating how to downgrade to windows 7 and in order to do that, you're going to...
  10. Cannot move from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Cannot move from Windows 7 to Windows 10: Going from Windows 7 pro 64 to Windows 10 Pro has been a complete failure for me. I have not gotten notification from Microsoft but instead have tried through the Media Creation Tool doing a direct to hard drive installation, a download to a flash drive, and lastly from the...