Windows 10: Move Install to New Motherboard, TPM On/Off, and Fresh Start

Discus and support Move Install to New Motherboard, TPM On/Off, and Fresh Start in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; In the near future, I'll be moving my drive with my current Windows 10 Professional x64 install over to a new motherboard. It's been a very long time... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by oreveredrist, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Move Install to New Motherboard, TPM On/Off, and Fresh Start

In the near future, I'll be moving my drive with my current Windows 10 Professional x64 install over to a new motherboard. It's been a very long time since I first installed this system, but I'm fairly sure that my version is a full retail version and that I can safely move the license to the new system (Settings > Update & Security > Activation shows "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account", but if it doesn't transfer, I can always buy another license and activate later). My concerns are:

• On my current system, I have an active TPM, but BitLocker is NOT turned on. So, I won't have to decrypt the drive. But, should I deactivate the TPM before moving the drive over to the new machine? I have no idea if the TPM somehow fingerprints the install and locks it to the current motherboard/TPM.
    • Similarly, on the new motherboard, should I have its TPM active or inactive when I move the old Windows install over?
    • Once I get the old install over to the new machine, I'll do a Fresh Start just to make sure I don't have issues with leftover drivers (I'm going from an Intel setup to an AMD one). Should the TPM be active or inactive when I do the Fresh Start? Will an active TPM interfere with a Fresh Start?
    • And, if things don't go well and I have to do a clean install from something like Microsoft's Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, should the TPM be active or inactive for that?

:)

oreveredrist, Oct 20, 2019
  2. whirlly Win User

Freezing on new- motherboard, fresh install

Hi axe0,

I've attached the new zip file and pasted the pictures below. I'll submit another reply once I've completed the driver verifier step.

CPU

Move Install to New Motherboard, TPM On/Off, and Fresh Start [​IMG]

Mainboard

Memory

SPD Slot 1

SPD Slot 2

SPD Slot 3

SPD Slot 4 is empty

Graphic

whirlly, Oct 20, 2019
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Need help on whether to clear TPM on not

It's clear as mud. As far as I can tell, it's specific to Windows, not necessarily activated programs like MacAfee, games, etc etc etc. MS Office, I have no idea.

Here's a lengthy doc on it: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...initialize-and-configure-ownership-of-the-tpm

Sasqui, Oct 20, 2019
  4. DaveLx1 Win User

Move Install to New Motherboard, TPM On/Off, and Fresh Start

Windows 10 Bitlocker - install TPM

My motherboard has an empty TPM socket, so yes I can install a TPM without getting a new motherboard (the manual confirms this also). --Dave

DaveLx1, Oct 20, 2019
Thema:

Move Install to New Motherboard, TPM On/Off, and Fresh Start

1. Move Install to New Motherboard, TPM On/Off, and Fresh Start - Similar Threads - Move Install Motherboard

2. Moving Windows License to a new Motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows License to a new Motherboard: Hello,I am going to be upgrading my motherboard this week, and I was hoping to clarify some things based off my searching around.What I have read is that OEM licenses can not be transferred. From what I understand OEM licenses are ones that come pre-installed with a computer...
  3. Moving Windows License to a new Motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving Windows License to a new Motherboard: Hello,I am going to be upgrading my motherboard this week, and I was hoping to clarify some things based off my searching around.What I have read is that OEM licenses can not be transferred. From what I understand OEM licenses are ones that come pre-installed with a computer...
  4. Moving Windows License to a new Motherboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Moving Windows 10 to a new motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving Windows 10 to a new motherboard: Summary: Can I move the SSD with my Windows 10 OS OEM license which is digitally connected with my MS account to my new motherboard, and sign in with my MS account to reactivate my license?I would like to address the potential problem in advance, instead of risking having to...
  6. Moving Windows 10 to a new motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows 10 to a new motherboard: Summary: Can I move the SSD with my Windows 10 OS OEM license which is digitally connected with my MS account to my new motherboard, and sign in with my MS account to reactivate my license?I would like to address the potential problem in advance, instead of risking having to...
  7. Moving Windows 10 to a new motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Moving Windows to a new CPU and Motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving Windows to a new CPU and Motherboard: Hi, I am upgrading my motherboard and wonder what will happen when I move my version of windows to this new piece of hardware. I have my Microsoft account linked to my digital license, so I have heard that when booting on the new motherboard ASUS STRIX Z390-E Windows will do...
  9. Freezing on new- motherboard, fresh install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Freezing on new- motherboard, fresh install: Hi, My desktop was getting BSODs and freezing. Since I am not good at PC troubleshooting I've taken it to repair... twice. One tech said it was the motherboard, so I got a new one, had it installed and also upgraded by 150 SSD to a 250 GB SSD, then I started having...
  10. Is it possible to move W10 to a new motherboard?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to move W10 to a new motherboard?: Hi there! I have Windows 10 in my current PC (upgraded some months ago from Windows 7). However, this computer doesn't have a good performance when playing video games — or at least, not the desired performance. I was thinking about changing the CPU. Nonetheless, my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 fresh start new motherboard