Windows 10: move mbr to new drive

Discus and support move mbr to new drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have two drives, each with windows 10 installed, my old samsung 850 pro and a new samsung 970 evo plus (both 500GB). Right now when I boot up my PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by verichip, Aug 28, 2020.

1. verichip Win User

move mbr to new drive

I have two drives, each with windows 10 installed, my old samsung 850 pro and a new samsung 970 evo plus (both 500GB). Right now when I boot up my PC windows asks me which drive I want to run and it boots into whichever drive is chosen. The problem is that I want to wipe the 850 pro and take it out of the computer. However, when I remove the 850 pro windows does not detect any bootable drive. what I think has happened is that the mbr is located on the 850 pro, and I do not know how to move it to the 970 evo. Attached is a picture of Disk Management showing the two drives, Disk 0 is the old 850 and Disk 1 is the new 970.

move mbr to new drive [​IMG]

Is there an easy way to fix this issue?
    I have tried unplugging the 850, booting with my windows 10 usb stick and running startup repair.
    Thanks

:)

verichip, Aug 28, 2020
  2. unsmart Win User

Anyway to transfer MBR to data drive?

I knows it's unbelievable but I seem to have F'ed something up*Big Grin move mbr to new drive :D when I upgraded my HTPC drive. I'm don't sure way but XP decided to install system files on the new disk and the MBR on another drive. With the system files on the data drive I figure just moving the MBR to it would work? If not would mounting the MBR on a flash drive work? I know theirs apps for rebuilding a damaged MBR but not sure if they could write one.
    The drives are both sata the data drives a 1TB samsung and the others an older sata 160GB WD.

unsmart, Aug 28, 2020
  3. clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

Hi,

1. You cannot convert mbr to gpt without data loss. otherwise, you can follow directions here:

FROM WINDOWS RECOVERY CONSOLE:

To change a master boot record disk into a GUID partition table disk using a command line

• Back up or move the data on the basic master boot record (MBR) disk you want to convert into a GUID partition table (GPT) disk.

• Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator) and type diskpart. If the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes, skip to step 6.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type clean.

2. I'd suggest converting your vista drive to a virtual machine, load that up on your windows 10 system and use a program like virtualbox to run it.

CoatH4nger, Aug 28, 2020
  4. move mbr to new drive

Reinstall Windows 10 to new hard drive

Hi Rodolpho,

We want to know about the issue you're having with your recovery drive. Please answer the questions below:

• Are you trying to reinstall Windows 8 or Windows 10?
    • If you already upgraded to Windows 10, were you able to create a new copy of the recovery drive?

We suggest creating a new copy of the recovery drive and then follow the steps provided by Andre Da Costa above this thread.

Update us with the outcome so we can assist you further.

Robert Caw, Aug 28, 2020
Thema:

move mbr to new drive

1. move mbr to new drive - Similar Threads - move mbr drive

2. Move windows to new drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move windows to new drive: Okay I just got a newish pc, it came with win10 Pro installed on a 500gb sata ssd and has a 1tb spinning disk which is empty. I got an nvme m.2 drive and am trying to get windows up and running from that. Whilst it's kinda working, in the bios, the machine is actually still...
  3. Move windows to new drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move windows to new drive: Okay I just got a newish pc, it came with win10 Pro installed on a 500gb sata ssd and has a 1tb spinning disk which is empty. I got an nvme m.2 drive and am trying to get windows up and running from that. Whilst it's kinda working, in the bios, the machine is actually still...
  4. Move windows to new drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. [MBR 2 GPT] Move or create new system partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [MBR 2 GPT] Move or create new system partition: Hi,I want to enable secure boot on my SSD to install Windows 11, but I first have to convert it from MBR to GPT. The command mbr2gpt /convert doesn't work because my boot partition and my system partition aren't on the same drive - the system partition is on an old drive...
  6. [MBR 2 GPT] Move or create new system partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [MBR 2 GPT] Move or create new system partition: Hi,I want to enable secure boot on my SSD to install Windows 11, but I first have to convert it from MBR to GPT. The command mbr2gpt /convert doesn't work because my boot partition and my system partition aren't on the same drive - the system partition is on an old drive...
  7. [MBR 2 GPT] Move or create new system partition

8. Move C drive to new drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move C drive to new drive: Morning guys.So I have installed a new m.2 SSD into my motherboard. I have a SSD as my main boot drive and a HDD as my Data drive. Is there a way to move my C drive to my m.2 SSD and changing it to C drive without having to reinstall windows 10?...
  9. Moving C drive to a new drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving C drive to a new drive: Hello My main C drive is starting to pack up. Is it possible to transfer my complete C drive to a new hard drive and keep my windows and all of my programs? Thank you for the help. I use windows 10 64bit....
  10. Moving to a New Hard drive

Moving to a New Hard drive: So recently my old hard drive died. I cannot go to boot or anything so I have purchased a new hard drive I'm unable to get to my operating system on my old drive since it is entirely dead I still have Windows 10 connected to my account so, how do I get my account in Windows...