Windows 10: move multiple folders based on file extension

Discus and support move multiple folders based on file extension in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have a main folder with 2000+ subfolders. 500+ of them have ISO files. I want to move all the folders that contain ISO files to a new separate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sh_654, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Sh_654 Win User

move multiple folders based on file extension

Hi,

I have a main folder with 2000+ subfolders.

500+ of them have ISO files.

I want to move all the folders that contain ISO files to a new separate folder.

How do I do it?

Obviously, I can find all the ISO files when searching via win explorer, but I don't want to move just the ISO files themselves. I want to move the whole folder that has that ISO file.

:)

Sh_654, Jan 9, 2021

2. I have mutiple files with extensions -Layout1. Does anyone know how to batch remove the extension? Thanks.

Here you go:

1. Open Windows Explorer.
    2. Navigate to the folder to be treated.
    3. Press Ctrl+L
    4. Type this command:

cmd /c ren *.Layout1 *.

Frederik Long, Jan 9, 2021
  3. LAPIII Win User
    Can I replace multiple files in multiple folders?

I know I can search for multiple files in multiple folders by searchiing using an * and extension, e.g. *.pdf. If I try and replace these files by dragging files to replace them into the folder with the files that I want replaced, won't the files to replace
    restored the folders that the files I want to replace are?

LAPIII, Jan 9, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

How to rename multiple sorted files while ignoring file extensions

Hi, suggest you play with this (or similar) - free for personal use, donationware.

move multiple folders based on file extension [​IMG]

dalchina, Jan 9, 2021
Thema:

1. move multiple folders based on file extension - Similar Threads - move multiple folders

2. Find Files with Multiple Extensions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Find Files with Multiple Extensions: I just rebuilt my PC after being infected with Ransomware. I want to search my drive for any malware that might have multiple filename extensions. For example, a file that would be titled MyFile.txt.exe.I have file extensions showing, and hidden files showing as well.I tried...
  3. Find Files with Multiple Extensions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Find Files with Multiple Extensions: I just rebuild my PC after being infected with Ransomware. I want to search my drive for any malware that might have multiple filename extensions. For example, a file that would be titled MyFile.txt.exe.I tried using Explorer, using Filename:*.*.* as search criteria, but it...
  4. Move multiple folders that contains specific files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move multiple folders that contains specific files: [ATTACH] Hello everyone. I need help. I am driving crazy with something that may be simple. I have a folder with 5000 movies. See the screenshot: https://preview.redd.it/qtseh9wul0ga1.png?width=1437&format=png&auto=webp&s=bde881bb11363c8d33c320639653b9fc21cd373b I want...
  5. Move Multiple Files to Multiple Folders Simultaneously

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move Multiple Files to Multiple Folders Simultaneously: Hello everyone! I have almost 900 PDFs that need to get moved from one folder to their own individual folders. I have about 200 folders with a set of PDFs in each to move. I found a way to rename them all with excel that was really helpful 2019- 386A- HAZCOM but right now I'm...
  6. Move Multiple Files to Multiple Folders Simultaneously

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Multiple Files to Multiple Folders Simultaneously: Hello everyone! I have almost 900 PDFs that need to get moved from one folder to their own individual folders. I have about 200 folders with a set of PDFs in each to move. I found a way to rename them all with excel that was really helpful 2019- 386A- HAZCOM but right now I'm...
  7. Move Multiple Files to Multiple Folders Simultaneously

8. Win11 File Explorer not moving multiple folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 File Explorer not moving multiple folders: When I select more than one folder to move either cut and paste or drag and drop, Explorer will move the first folder but leave the other selected folders. I can move multiple files with no issues. I can delete multiple folders / files with no issues. My work around is to...
  9. Win11 File Explorer not moving multiple folders

Win11 File Explorer not moving multiple folders: When I select more than one folder to move either cut and paste or drag and drop, Explorer will move the first folder but leave the other selected folders. I can move multiple files with no issues. I can delete multiple folders / files with no issues. My work around is to...
  10. Need to move files from multiple folders to multiple same level folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to move files from multiple folders to multiple same level folder: We have a file structure like thisTop level Folder--CustomerName-----Inbox-----Outbox-----Archive--CustomerName-----Inbox-----Outbox-----Archive--CustomerName-----Inbox-----Outbox-----Archiverepeat 500 times. I want to move all files older than 1 year from the inbox and...