Windows 10: Move my hard drive to a new computer

Discus and support Move my hard drive to a new computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi My old Samsung laptop has a smashed screen, so I have bought myself a second hand HP laptop. Both laptops have Windows 10 but when I tried to take... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RazaHassan, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Move my hard drive to a new computer

Hi

My old Samsung laptop has a smashed screen, so I have bought myself a second hand HP laptop. Both laptops have Windows 10 but when I tried to take the hard drive from the Samsung and put it in the HP, I received an error.

How can I use my Samsung hard drive and put it in my HP

Samsung hard driive

1 TB

Windows 10

Office 2016

HP hard Drive

500GB

Windows 10

Appreciate if someone can advise on best course of action so that I can put my Samsung 1TB hard drive into my HP.

Many thanks

:)

RazaHassan, Sep 14, 2019

2. How to Partiton a Hard Drive in Vista

This is a way to get Vista to see another hard drive that is not associated with the OS. There is some times when your new hdd doesn't seem to want to work well with Vista. But, there is a solution in it.

Open the Computer Management By doing these steps.
    • Click on the Start Button
    • Click on Control Panel
    • Click Administrative Tools
    • Double click on Computer Management
    You are now in the Navigation panel of the Computer Management.
    When in Computer Management, you then have to allow the new drive to be recognized.
    • Double click on Storage
    • Double click on Disk Management
    Now in the middle of your screen there is the layout of the Disk Drives that you have. The drives that are partitioned will show by the drive lettering. The others will just show up as having nothing at all in them. Below that there will be the Disk drives that are installed into the computer. You'll see that the primary one will all ways read as "Disk 0". Then you will have Disk 1 and so on. Under the Disks there will also see your CD-Rom drives.. If there is more then one, it will be labeled the same as Disk drives..

On to the Partitioning of the drive in question.
    • Right Click on the drive
    • Click to format the drive or Enable Volume. There will be a series of windows that open up. This is Vista's formatting. Just go threw the windows, and make sure everything is the way you want it to happen.
    • Once the formatting is done, will take some time depending on the drive size.
    • Right click on the drive
    • Click on Mark the Partition as Active
    After you have done those steps, The drive will be up and running threw Vista.

:Side Notes:
    If you are not the Administer to the Os, then you will have to enable it..
    You may also want to redo the drive lettering of it all. But, I really don't see a reason to do so. If you do, you have to redo drive paths and so forth.. A lot of work on something so small...

Cold Storm, Sep 25, 2019
  3. exterior hard drive usable?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Plug USB hard drive into old computer.
    • Open File Explorer (Win+E) and open the USB drive.
    • Open another File Explorer window and open your documents folder.
    • Drag files to the USB drive.
    • Move drive to new computer.
    • Drag files to their new homes in the matching documents/pictures/videos/whatever folders you use to organize.
    Please let us know if you have any further issues. in uploading/ transferring data.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Sep 25, 2019
  4. xarzu Win User

Move my hard drive to a new computer

new system old hard drive...

I have an old hard drive that has those old ribbon connections to transfer data to the mother board.

I have a new computer that mostly uses those cool little ATA (I think that is what they are called) connections.

The new computer has a Vista OS.

I opened up the case and I was supprised to see on the motherboard a wide ribbon connection and so I connected the old hard drive and a free power connection.

When I turned on the computer, the system started up like usual and did not notice the new hard drive.

I went to the Control Pannel and did an automatic add hard drive call and it did not find the old hard drive.

Any suggestions?

xarzu, Sep 25, 2019
Thema:

Move my hard drive to a new computer

1. Move my hard drive to a new computer - Similar Threads - Move hard drive

2. Moving windows to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving windows to a new hard drive: I've bought a new ssd hard drive, and would like to move window and everything else from my old hard drive to my new one. I have a windows 10 cd but don't want to wait for all the updates to be loaded from windows 11....
  3. Moving windows to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving windows to a new hard drive: I've bought a new ssd hard drive, and would like to move window and everything else from my old hard drive to my new one. I have a windows 10 cd but don't want to wait for all the updates to be loaded from windows 11....
  4. Moving hard drive with Windows Retail 10 installed to a new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving hard drive with Windows Retail 10 installed to a new computer: Windows 10 Pro Retail. I deliberately paid the extra bucks for the ability to move the license between motherboards.I have an aging i7-7700 and am looking to upgrade to an i3-10500 "cross grade" is a better performance description, but I digress.New motherboard, new chips,...
  5. Moving hard drive with Windows Retail 10 installed to a new computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving hard drive with Windows Retail 10 installed to a new computer: Windows 10 Pro Retail. I deliberately paid the extra bucks for the ability to move the license between motherboards.I have an aging i7-7700 and am looking to upgrade to an i3-10500 "cross grade" is a better performance description, but I digress.New motherboard, new chips,...
  6. Moving hard drive with Windows Retail 10 installed to a new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Possible to move primary hard drive to new computer as secondary drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Possible to move primary hard drive to new computer as secondary drive?: I have a laptop which won't boot due to a 'bad system config info' error.I also have a new desktop I'm building with a new SSD which I'll use as the primary drive. If I take out the primary SSD from my old laptop, and put it into my new desktop computer as a secondary drive...
  8. Moving to a New Hard drive

Moving to a New Hard drive: So recently my old hard drive died. I cannot go to boot or anything so I have purchased a new hard drive I'm unable to get to my operating system on my old drive since it is entirely dead I still have Windows 10 connected to my account so, how do I get my account in Windows...
  9. Move old hard drive to new computer with windows 10

Move old hard drive to new computer with windows 10: My old computer with windows 10 installed with a 1tb SSD the old computer has failed but the hard dive is still working, my question is how do I install the old SSD hard drive with windows10 installed on it to my new computer? The new computer is almost the same as the old...
  10. Moving Hard Drive from dead computer to new computer without restallin

Moving Hard Drive from dead computer to new computer without restallin: Hello everyone I have a dead acer aspire axc-704g-uw61 and I want move hard drive with windows 10 to new computer a Dell Optiplex 980 without reinstall windows 10. Can anyone show right way to do this task. *Wink Thanks Robert. 91474

Users found this page by searching for:

1. moving hard drive from hp to dell