Windows 10: Move my Windows 10 Pro from one hard drive to another?

Discus and support Move my Windows 10 Pro from one hard drive to another? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The long and short of it is I'm currently using a 120GB SSD, and I just bought and installed a 480GB SSD. The goal is to have the 480GB as the primary... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Dimitri1027, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Move my Windows 10 Pro from one hard drive to another?

The long and short of it is I'm currently using a 120GB SSD, and I just bought and installed a 480GB SSD. The goal is to have the 480GB as the primary drive, and the 120GB as a storage + Linux drive.

That being said, is there a way that I can simply transfer my Windows OS from one drive to the other, without having to do the whole Windows install process again? I read online about cloning the first drive using some software, but I didn't know if Windows already have this feature so I could save the time. The goal is to not have to reinstall Windows on the new drive and instead just swap them over type thing if that makes sense.

Thanks in advance!

:)

Dimitri1027, Jul 19, 2020
  2. Ray Abel Win User

How can I MOVE everything from one small hard drive to a larger hard drive in Windows 10?

I have to assume that upgrading one hard drive to another hard drive is easy (somehow).

I want to MOVE everything, the Windows 10 OS, the whole file structure, everything..., from a hard drive that is too small to a larger one. I would expect to put a second hard drive in my machine and run a 'Move it' command. Wait hours and the old drive
    is no longer licensed to be used and the new drive has everything on it.

This can't be a unique problem I have...

Does Microsoft have a handy app for this process or do I have to use the 20 steps it takes to manually do it?

Ray Abel, Jul 19, 2020
  3. JanaDyck Win User
    move files from my C drive to an external hard drive.

what steps do I take to move files from my C drive to an external hard drive. My C drive is almost full.

JanaDyck, Jul 19, 2020
  4. Move my Windows 10 Pro from one hard drive to another?

Move Windows 10 hard drive from defective laptop to identical laptop.

Hello all. I have an HP6530b laptop with a defective motherboard that sometimes doesn't power up. I have to keep it powered on, in "sleep" mode, instead of ever powering it off. I bought another HP6530b without a hard drive, thinking that I could move
    the hard drive from one machine to the other, sort out any minor driver issues, and then scrap the old one for parts.

I upgraded the source machine to Windows 10 recently from Windows 7 pro, which was the OEM load. I am wondering if there is a way to move the hard drive and have everything work correctly in the destination machine.

Or do I have to revert the source machine to Windows 7 (which doesn't seem to work correctly -- the task manager task list gets corrupted, as I learned the hard way when trying to revert a desktop a few months ago), and then move the hard drive and reactivate
    using the target machine product key from the COA?

It would be really nice if I could just move the hard drive and somehow reactivate it on the destination machine.

Any advice would be appreciated.

leojbourne, Jul 19, 2020
Thema:

Move my Windows 10 Pro from one hard drive to another?

1. Move my Windows 10 Pro from one hard drive to another? - Similar Threads - Move Pro hard

2. Move Windows From One Drive To Another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move Windows From One Drive To Another: I have three drives C,D & E. I want to move windows and do a clean install from C to E, but keep the files that are on D. The main reason is that C is tiny and out of space and E is faster and much larger. I don't care about preferences and applications being lost as I have...
  3. Move Windows From One Drive To Another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Windows From One Drive To Another: I have three drives C,D & E. I want to move windows and do a clean install from C to E, but keep the files that are on D. The main reason is that C is tiny and out of space and E is faster and much larger. I don't care about preferences and applications being lost as I have...
  4. Move Windows From One Drive To Another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Moving Windows 10 from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows 10 from one drive to another: Here's how my system is setup now. Drive 1: Three partitions. Recovery, EFI system, and C: primary OS Drive 2: Two partitions. Recovery, D: secondary OSBoth C: and D: are Windows 10. Currently in a dual boot setup, it asks me at boot which partition to use. I want to delete...
  6. Moving Windows 10 from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving Windows 10 from one drive to another: Here's how my system is setup now. Drive 1: Three partitions. Recovery, EFI system, and C: primary OS Drive 2: Two partitions. Recovery, D: secondary OSBoth C: and D: are Windows 10. Currently in a dual boot setup, it asks me at boot which partition to use. I want to delete...
  7. Moving Windows 10 from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Copy one hard drive "in toto" and move to another hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Copy one hard drive "in toto" and move to another hard drive: I have purchased a 2 TB Samsung SSD to replace a 2 TB Toshiba HD - it is the system boot drive. What software have you successfully used to move one drive to the other - so that when I power off and remove the Toshiba HD, the system boots from the new 2 TB Samsung SSD???...
  9. Move Hard Drive from One Laptop to Another

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move Hard Drive from One Laptop to Another: I have two laptops, both are Dell Inspiron model 5558 with identical hardware configurations. Both are Win 10 version 1903. Due to a hinge issue with the primary machine, I want to move the hard drive from the one with the damaged hinge to the one without the hinge problem....
  10. Moving a hard drive windows 10 pro from one HP computer to another.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Moving a hard drive windows 10 pro from one HP computer to another.: Moving a hard drive windows 10 pro from one HP computer to another HP computer, works good, no licence issues or such, but old computer specs still on hard drive, HP site, or other spec sites not seeing new computer specs. What can I simply do??? Thank you....