Windows 10: Move OEM Window 10 key to virtual machine

Discus and support Move OEM Window 10 key to virtual machine in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently bought a Lenovo laptop from a 3rd party reseller. There are no Windows disks or hard-copy product keys It came with Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by HopeJasen, Apr 24, 2020.

1. HopeJasen Win User

Move OEM Window 10 key to virtual machine

I recently bought a Lenovo laptop from a 3rd party reseller. There are no Windows disks or hard-copy product keys

It came with Windows 10 Professional, OEM_DM channel

Running the command slmgr.vbs -dlv give information on the license, including the installation ID and activation ID.

I want to:

1 replace the SSD with a higher capacity one. If possible I won't clone the original drive bc I don't want to buy an ssd external enclosure.

2 Install windows as a virtual machine under virtualBox hosted by Linux.

Is it possible to use the same activation key? Motherboard will be the same, but I would be moving to a virtual machine, so this might look like a new machine to Windows.

I have seen conflicting instructions on how to move activation keys. Some say OEM installations cannot be moved to a new machine. Others say just install on the new machine and use chat or phone-based activation.

If this is not possible I would just install a dual-boot configuration, but I would prefer the virtual machine. 90% of my use is in Linux, only use Windows right now because Zoom has a much better windows client.

Thank you.

:)

HopeJasen, Apr 24, 2020
  2. OneMoar Win User

my windows 10 oem didn't come with a product key

indeed OEM's have embedded keys a OEM upgrade is for machines with OEM copies and DO NOT COME WITH A KEY! sadly many vendors confuse the two because pre-windows 10 'OEM" came with a key
    a end user should always buy a Retail OR "System builder OEM" copy when it comes to windows 10 system builder is not `OEM` you can blame microsoft for the retarded terminology screw up

it sounds like the op bought a pirated copy with no key microsoft does not ship windows 10 on optical disks .... they use flash drives

OneMoar, Apr 24, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.

Please get a cup of coffee, lean back and think an answer for these two questions. Take your time, then check the answers below the questions:

Questions:
    1. If you do a clean install of let's say Windows 10 Insider Build 10525 on a totally new computer which has never had an activated Windows 10 on it, does it activate?
    2. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 Insider Build on a computer where the underlying Windows 10, upgraded from a qualifying old operating system has already been activated, does it activate?

Answers:
    1. No, of course not.
    2. Yes, of course.

Why do you think that a virtual machine would make any difference? You have tried to install Windows 10 on a totally new machine which has never had an activated Windows 10 installed, therefore the Microsoft activation servers block the activation due invalid machine ID. In the highlighted part in below quote you admit your mistake yourself, plain and simple, yet you when doing this wrong draw conclusion that even if done correctly it would not work:

What you have tried is essentially the same as if you took a brand new real physical PC without any operating system, which has never had any operating system, and then installed Windows 10 Insider Preview wondering why it does not activate! Virtual Machines behave exactly the same way; if you want to clean install Windows 10 Insider Preview and get it activated you must do it on an existing virtual machine, one which has already had an upgraded Windows 10 activated. This "computer", the virtual machine, its machine ID is marked on activation servers as valid and activated and it will of course activate.

Be it a virtual machine or a physical computer, you cannot activate a clean installed Windows 10 Insider Preview on a totally new machine. How difficult can this be to understand?

When clean installing Windows 10 Insider Preview on a computer which has already had a previous Windows 10 Insider activated, you do not use the product key! It will be asked twice, once before the installation starts and once after the last reboot to OOBE phase. In both cases you skip the product key and your Windows will be automatically activated.

4. taz420nj Win User

my windows 10 oem didn't come with a product key

LOL yes they do. Legit OEM copies DO come with a key - on a sticker that you affix to the case. OEM and SLP (System Locked Preactivation) are NOT the same thing. SLP is what large OEMs like Dell, HP, etc do, where every system came out of the factory activated with the same "Manufacturer's Master" key in XP, Vista, and 7. Reinstalling with the factory image preserves this activation. However if you dig that key out with Magical Jellybean and try to do a clean install with it, activation will fail. That's why every machine that came out of a factory ALSO had a COA with a unique key. That is what you need to use for a clean install. Starting with 8, large OEMs began embedding the unique key into the BIOS, which is why they no longer come with a unique key sticker. However, you can still buy legit OEM versions of every version (the ones that small shops would use for their custom machines) - including 10 - which come with the sticker with a unique key.

The only differences between OEM and Retail versions is that the OEM version locks to the first motherboard it is activated on, while Retail can be moved to a different one. OEM also come with no support.

taz420nj, Apr 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Move OEM Window 10 key to virtual machine - Similar Threads - Move OEM Window

2. OEM Windows 10 activation key won’t activate on rebuilt Parallels Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OEM Windows 10 activation key won’t activate on rebuilt Parallels Virtual Machine: I am running a virtual PC on my Mac Mini using Parallels. I purchased a WIndows 10 Pro OEM activation key which has worked perfectly for over a year. The virtual machine crashed and I needed to rebuild it. I now can’t active the same key that I have been using up to now. I...
  3. Moving Windows 10 Installation to Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving Windows 10 Installation to Virtual Machine: Hello,I currently dual boot Linux and Windows, using primarily Linux. I'd like to move my physical windows partition, or even just the license, to a virtual machine on my Linux partition. How can I reactivate my Windows license once I perform the move?...
  4. Moving Windows 10 Installation to Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows 10 Installation to Virtual Machine: Hello,I currently dual boot Linux and Windows, using primarily Linux. I'd like to move my physical windows partition, or even just the license, to a virtual machine on my Linux partition. How can I reactivate my Windows license once I perform the move?...
  5. Moving Windows 10 Installation to Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. OEM licensing for virtual machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OEM licensing for virtual machine: I purchased a laptop with Windows 11 Home, with OEM digital license in the BIOS. I would like to replace Windows with Ubuntu Linux, then run Windows 11 in a VirtualBox virtual machine, using that license. Is this possible? What must I do to ensure that I can do this? Will I...
  7. OEM licensing for virtual machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OEM licensing for virtual machine: I purchased a laptop with Windows 11 Home, with OEM digital license in the BIOS. I would like to replace Windows with Ubuntu Linux, then run Windows 11 in a VirtualBox virtual machine, using that license. Is this possible? What must I do to ensure that I can do this? Will I...
  8. OEM key activation on Windows 10 machines

OEM key activation on Windows 10 machines: Hi ! I am to buy a Windows 10 license, but I am not sure if I should buy the retail OEM key or not. Because Microsoft stated OEM keys are non-transferrable; but I am more concerned when I have to changed my motherboard. My PC is currently 8 years old, and if the motherboard...
  9. moving windows 10 licence to virtual machine

moving windows 10 licence to virtual machine: Hello! tldr; how to reactivate Windows 10 licence in Windows virtual machine running on a PC that previously ran Windows 10, and now runs Linux. Long; I formatted my Windows 10 pro PC and changed the operating system to Linux. I did not save my Windows product key etc...
  10. OEM licenses and virtual machines

OEM licenses and virtual machines: I just got a computer this week and activated the windows 10 pro OEM license on it. If I now want to install a type 1 hypervisor on the computer like vmshpere and put windows 10 pro and linux on it, will my windows license re-activate? It's the same computer and same...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows OEM keys for vm

2. windows virtual machine product key skip