Windows 10: Move OneDrive folder from C to D

Discus and support Move OneDrive folder from C to D in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; New Dell PC with HD C512GB and D2TB and can't figure how to move OneDrive to D HD as default place to keep all files/pictures, etc. will not let me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by PA-WOODCHUCK, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Move OneDrive folder from C to D

New Dell PC with HD C512GB and D2TB and can't figure how to move OneDrive to D HD as default place to keep all files/pictures, etc. will not let me change location.

thanks

:)

PA-WOODCHUCK, Oct 16, 2020
  2. TarAn_D Win User

Move the OneDrive Folder

Move the OneDrive Folder in Windows 10

When you set up OneDrive to sync with your computer, a folder C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive will be created to store the contents. XXXX denotes your username. To move this folder to another location follow these simple steps:

1. Unlink OneDrive from your PC:

• Go to the taskbar notification area
    • Right-click on the OneDrive icon
    • Select settings
    • Click: Unlink this PC
    2. Delete the C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive folder

3. Create a new folder (target folder) for OneDrive contents, e.g. D:\OneDrive

4. Create Directory Junction for the new folder

• In the search area of the taskbar type CMD and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter
    • In the command window type
    mklink /J C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive D:\OneDrive

adjusting it to your specific username and selection of the target folder

5. Link again OneDrive to your PC using the OneDrive icon in the taskbar notification area

TarAn_D, Oct 16, 2020
  3. Koen_87_ Win User
    Move the OneDrive Folder

I have Windows 10 and when I try to setup onedrive on my D: drive it says "Your OneDrive folder can't be created in the location you selected"

This is very strange... I use my D: disk always for the past 15 years to separate my data from my OS drive (CMove OneDrive folder from C to D :).

It only seems to be happy to select a folder on my C: Drive.

I have been using onedrive on another PC but that's windows 7 and here ondrive is happily running on my D: Drive..

Any suggestions?

(I'm local Administrator on Windows 10 by the way) so very unlikely related to permissions and security.

Koen_87_, Oct 16, 2020
  4. Anusha Win User

Move OneDrive folder from C to D

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Move OneDrive folder from C to D ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Oct 16, 2020
Thema:

Move OneDrive folder from C to D

1. Move OneDrive folder from C to D - Similar Threads - Move OneDrive folder

2. how to move file folders from C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to move file folders from C drive to D drive: How do I move folders from C drive to D drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-file-folders-from-c-drive-to-d-drive/ba455194-5c95-4cf4-8fb6-2be2a8242972
  3. Moving folders from onedrive to c:/

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving folders from onedrive to c:/: Just recd new laptop with Win11. Do not like way MS has structured to dop my files under onedrive. Do not want Onedrive backup or files hidden deeply in file structure. I prefer files to be under c directory for easy access. Have been relocating to this drive. DOCUMENTS...
  4. Moving folders from onedrive to c:/

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving folders from onedrive to c:/: Just recd new laptop with Win11. Do not like way MS has structured to dop my files under onedrive. Do not want Onedrive backup or files hidden deeply in file structure. I prefer files to be under c directory for easy access. Have been relocating to this drive. DOCUMENTS...
  5. Can't Move Documents Folder From C to D Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Move Documents Folder From C to D Drive: I have not been able to move my documents folder from my C drive, which is a solid state drive, to my D drive, which is a regular hard drive. I've tried going into the folder properties and changing the location, but it doesn't move. I do not have One Drive installed on my...
  6. Trying to move Roaming folder from C: to D: drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to move Roaming folder from C: to D: drive: Im having some storage issues right now (my C drive having 35 gigs left and my D having 1T) and i wanted to move my Roaming folder over because that's whats taking up a bit of storage. is there any way to do that? Thanks. submitted by /u/xX_Bacon_Boi_Xx [link] [comments]...
  7. moving windows from C: to D:

moving windows from C: to D:: Is this safe and possible cause I have a ssd that is almost full and i want to move the whole windows folder to data which I think is hdd but I don't know how or if it is safe to do so without any damage done....
  8. How to move folders from OneDrive to another folder in the c: drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How to move folders from OneDrive to another folder in the c: drive: A tech guy loaded some files from my Win7 to my new Win10 home. He also put my old Pictures, Documents folders in the following path: c:\Users\(name)\One Drive\ ..... We don't want or will ever use OneDrive. More importantly Acronis won't back up anything on OneDrive when...
  9. How to move folders from OneDrive to another folder in the c: drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to move folders from OneDrive to another folder in the c: drive: A tech guy loaded some files from my Win7 to my new Win10 home. He also put my old Pictures, Documents folders in the following path: c:\Users\(name)\One Drive\ ..... We don't want or will ever use OneDrive. More importantly Acronis won't back up anything on OneDrive when...
  10. Move OneDrive From C: to D: Before Setup

Move OneDrive From C: to D: Before Setup: Good day everyone, Is there a way to move the OneDrive folders (C:\OneDriveTemp & C:\Users\[username]\OneDrive) from my SSD C drive to my SATA D drive before I set up and start using the service? Thanks in advance for any help with this. Best regards, Duane...