Windows 10: Move or rename of a directory on USB drive deletes all files/directories in it.

Discus and support Move or rename of a directory on USB drive deletes all files/directories in it. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Window 10 home on a Lenovo IdeaPad: I have a new 2Tbyte USB FLASH drive. On using it as a backup I get Error 80070570 errors. To debug I copied one of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by cavedancer, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Move or rename of a directory on USB drive deletes all files/directories in it.

Window 10 home on a Lenovo IdeaPad: I have a new 2Tbyte USB FLASH drive. On using it as a backup I get Error 80070570 errors. To debug I copied one of the files that had the error to a different directory with no problem. I deleted the original/error directory and renamed the new dir and the new named dir was empty. Same thing happens if I move the dir.

I also did a disk check as a recommended way to handle 80070570 error. After the check, with no reported errors, the directory that will not accept any more files the 800.. error is now empty of all the files that were successfully in it.

:)

cavedancer, Nov 19, 2020
  2. Drone Win User

Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Nov 19, 2020
  3. Directory Size Utility

Thanks buddy! Yea, this section's not dead. Kreij and I have big plans for this section. I don't want to give nothing away, but we have some bigger projects down the road. *Toast :toast: I feel I'm pretty good at coding with different languages, but I'm well behind Kreij's level of experience with those other Languages. I've been working on those other languages, and soon I'll feel comfortable enough to start, and not feel like I'm holding the project back. *Toast :toast:

Now on to your suggestions.

• maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that? Yea, that's been bothering me and I like your suggestion "Add Folder". I'll change it on the next release.
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs) I could add this, but let me see if I understand what you're asking. By subfolders you mean add all the folders in the left panel to the right panel? Those folders are all the subfolders in the "Get folder".
    • maybe you also add export list to excel? I'll add this on the next release.
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too? I'll add this on the next release.
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories? I'll add this on the next release.
    These are all great suggestions! Thanks Drone! *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Nov 19, 2020
  4. Move or rename of a directory on USB drive deletes all files/directories in it.

Directory Size Utility

New! Directory Size Utility BETA v1.3

Change Log v1.3
    • Resolved an issue where resizing caused the "Directory Size Utility" to crash. - Thanks Drone!
    • New button Icons.
    • New high resolution icon for the Directory Size Utility.
    • New Delete folder button.
    • New right click menu item("Delete folder") for folder list.
    • New Export to Excel button.
    • Renamed "Get folder..." to "Add folder..."
    • Clicking "Directory Size Utility" name in the about window will take you to the home web page.
    Download here!

Spoiler: New Screen Shot Main Screen

Move or rename of a directory on USB drive deletes all files/directories in it. Main.jpg

Mindweaver, Nov 19, 2020
Thema:

Move or rename of a directory on USB drive deletes all files/directories in it.

1. Move or rename of a directory on USB drive deletes all files/directories in it. - Similar Threads - Move rename directory

2. Using MOVE in command window to rename a directory causes directory to be moved to a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using MOVE in command window to rename a directory causes directory to be moved to a...: Using MOVE in a cmd window to rename directories. move "D:/M/FLAC files/066 - Secular Cantatas, BWV 210, 211 [FLAC] {R}" "066 - Secular Cantatas, BWV 210, 211 [FLAC]" The directory was renamed and moved to D:/ not renamed in situ. Do I not understand the move command?...
  3. Using MOVE in command window to rename a directory causes directory to be moved to a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using MOVE in command window to rename a directory causes directory to be moved to a...: Using MOVE in a cmd window to rename directories. move "D:/M/FLAC files/066 - Secular Cantatas, BWV 210, 211 [FLAC] {R}" "066 - Secular Cantatas, BWV 210, 211 [FLAC]" The directory was renamed and moved to D:/ not renamed in situ. Do I not understand the move command?...
  4. Using MOVE in command window to rename a directory causes directory to be moved to a...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Windows and/or OneDrive renamed all files in a directory as a "-copy"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows and/or OneDrive renamed all files in a directory as a "-copy": I got a notification from my Plex remote server today that the music files I wanted to play were missing. Naturally I freaked out and when I got home checked to see if there was a drive failure or something. However, Windows has seemingly renamed every file in my music folder...
  6. Windows and/or OneDrive renamed all files in a directory as a "-copy"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows and/or OneDrive renamed all files in a directory as a "-copy": I got a notification from my Plex remote server today that the music files I wanted to play were missing. Naturally I freaked out and when I got home checked to see if there was a drive failure or something. However, Windows has seemingly renamed every file in my music folder...
  7. Renaming parent directory

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Renaming parent directory: So I bought a pc off my old boss. I've had it for about a year. I've been trying to change the user directory to my name in cmd. I have the pc renamed account named and admin to my name but when I save homework assignments or anything it has his name. And in cmd I get...
  8. Moving, deleting, creating files / directories takes forever.

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving, deleting, creating files / directories takes forever.: Good day / night, I noticed that my computer takes forever to do any kind of operation on files and directories (except editing content which is done in a separate process). I believe the problem to be the windows explorer simply because I tried moving and deleting files and...
  9. Moving a Directory to Storage Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving a Directory to Storage Drive: I'm quite sure many people move a Directory to a Storage Drive so some software will act appropriately, like Pictures for instance. Some computers even come with an SSD and a Storage drive OOTB, but they don't put any Directories on the Storage Drive. My question is, how...
  10. Rename the "User" Directory

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Rename the "User" Directory: I moved my Users folder from C:\ to D:\ via C:\>Robocopy /xj /Mir /Move /CopyAll C:\Users D:\Users C:\>RMdir C:\Users /s /q and creating a Junction C:\> MkLink /j C:\Users D:\Users All fine and dandy until I had to reinstall windows again. I renamed D:\Users to...