Windows 10: Move OS to SSD leave data in HDD

Discus and support Move OS to SSD leave data in HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Got a SSD and I only want to move the operating system to the SSD. So, question one is 1. How do I move only the OS to the SSD? I haven't done... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Dave1310, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Dave1310 Win User

Move OS to SSD leave data in HDD

Got a SSD and I only want to move the operating system to the SSD. So, question one is

1. How do I move only the OS to the SSD?

I haven't done anything like this for a L O O O N G time. In fact, not since DOS. Back then there was a problem with what I'm trying to do now. That problem related to drive names. Let's say I added a new faster hard drive to my system (I'm talking about the old days now.) I made the HD bootable and copied Dos over, then named the new drive C: and changed the old drive to D: . Should be done, right? Nope! Had to change every stinking reference in every program to reflect that the data the program needed was now on D: instead of c: drive. So, question two is:

2. What do I need to do for my programs and data, which will now be the newly named d:\ drive, to run properly?

The physical drive is currently configured as: System Reserve 100MB NTFS Sys reserve (System, Active, Primary Partition)

930.97GB NTFS, C:\ (Boot, page file, crash dump, primary partition)

450MB NTFS (Recovery Partition)

:)

Dave1310, Apr 5, 2019

2. Is this amount of Data writen normal for a SSD?

I don't use SSD, since I heard that SSD has a very limited time for writes. And every time, you write something, it erases whole piece and write again together with the new to storage. Tip also suggests us to leave 1/4 SSD space for temporary storage. Or trouble will come.
    Tips also recommend us to leave SSD for OS, and HDD for programs and data.
    If your data is OS data, then there is nothing to do.

FrankBarrera, Apr 5, 2019
  3. win10 Inaccessible boot device, on desktop after adding ssd as os and hdd as data disk.

My i3 desktop started to be slower. I added SSD, made SSD first boot device and installed windows 10. Unfortunately OS loaded from HDD. The HDD had bitlocker on partition 3. I recovered data to external. I deleted system reserved partition of hdd and left
    data partitions of hdd untouched. PC could boot from SSD but HDD not detected. Checked in bios-present, boot menu-present, device manager-absent. Tried to refresh device manager, disconnect and connect while PC was on, there was no symptoms that I connected
    a hard drive. Restarted several time to confirm that HDD is not detected. Tried to boot from HBCD Julia Queen (Windows 7 Mini) there were HDD and SSD both.

Next, I copied all data from HDD and deleted all partitions on both drive. Installed win10 from USB only partitioning SSD and leaving HDD unallocated. On Windows 10 I went to diskmgmt.msc and partitioned HDD to two partitions. Copied all data there, and
    rebooted. Now, while booting windows 10 displays: "Inaccessible boot device". What's wrong here?

There are many questions in mind but what to ask and what to not?

DipakSubedi, Apr 5, 2019
  4. Move OS to SSD leave data in HDD

move windows os from ssd to hdd

Hi DaveM121,

Actually i had cloned my ssd to hdd and it was booting perfectly from hdd .But after that i had formatted my ssd and it stopped booting from hdd.Then i install windows again on ssd and created
    dual boot using easy bcd.Now it is booting perfectly from HDD and SSD but if i remove os from ssd then it stops working.But i don't want os on ssd and it should boot only from hdd.So what should i do ?

harshdave1, Apr 5, 2019
Thema:

Move OS to SSD leave data in HDD

1. Move OS to SSD leave data in HDD - Similar Threads - Move SSD leave

2. Moving OS onto an SSD from HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving OS onto an SSD from HDD: I am wanting to swap my windows 10 from my HDD to my SSD, I was wondering if I choose to reinstall windows will it give me the option of where I install it, or will it automatically go to the disk it was already installed on?...
  3. Moving OS onto an SSD from HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving OS onto an SSD from HDD: I am wanting to swap my windows 10 from my HDD to my SSD, I was wondering if I choose to reinstall windows will it give me the option of where I install it, or will it automatically go to the disk it was already installed on?...
  4. Move my OS from HDD to SSD

Move my OS from HDD to SSD: If I move my OS to my SSD from my HDD, whether I decide to clone the hard drive or do a clean Reinstall, will it still recognize my desktop? like will all of my applications still be installed and will all of my games be installed along with all of my save files and/or memory...
  5. Moving OS from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving OS from HDD to SSD: I want to change my laptop from HDD to SSD, but how about my windows and the license? can i move it using a tool to copy it and paste to the SSD? im the second owner of this laptop....
  6. Clone HDD, with OS and data, to SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clone HDD, with OS and data, to SSD: I'm needed of your help, I recently got an SSD to upgrade my Lenovo Yoga 300 with Windows 10 Home Single Lamguage, I cleaned and format the SSD and used Macrium to clone, but it showed me a window saying that I couldn't acces that folder, I changed the security and the...
  7. Moving my OS from HDD to SSD

Moving my OS from HDD to SSD: Hey guys, Doing a massive overhaul of my computer and finally moving my OS to my HDD to SSD. New everything, the only things I am keeping is my power supply and HDD. I read that to do it without wiping, I'd need a cloning tool. However, I don't care enough about that. All...
  8. Move data from ssd to hdd?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move data from ssd to hdd?: I built my pc yesterday, installed everything and my 250gb ssd is already full. How can I move my files from the ssd to the hdd? Thanks a lot! Daten von ssd auf hdd verschieben?
  9. Move my os from a HDD into a SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move my os from a HDD into a SSD: Greetings. What's the best FREE tool/method to simply move the os from a 1tb HDD into a 120gb SSD? I don't need to save personal files or anything since the HDD will remain as a secondary drive. But almost every single guide I found is suggesting using a paid software (like...
  10. move windows os from ssd to hdd

move windows os from ssd to hdd: How to move windows os from ssd to hdd. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-windows-os-from-ssd-to-hdd/bb3498ed-d913-4da0-b429-c86bfcd6ad21

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ssd for OS HDD fordata